Discussion Chinese anime taking over Japanese anime

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Sep 23, 2019.

1. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    hopefully. FromSoftware, a game publisher from japan, is cooperating with George R.R Martin in developing their new game.

2. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Capitalism, my friend. Unhinged as it is in China its a 100 times worse than communism could ever be if no lunatic like Mao is at the helm.

Imo the big issue with chinese stuff will always be that they don't even have enough good web novels for a single season before they run dry. Xianxia and any related genres suck by default. Fixing them would literally rewrite 95%. From scaling to shit tropes it just has too much holding it down. Adapting it into a good anime? Dream on.

ali3rd likes this.
  3. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gonna say this straight out, with the chinese government, yaoi ain't going to happen. Still remember when the government jailed yaoi writers for the crime of destroying public morals. You might as well stop hoping.

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
  5. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doubt it. Chinese anime is far too Racist in the end of the day. Most stories have undertones of Racism. Meanwhile the stories told are very... VERY patriarch driven. Rape = Love etcetera. At most, the chinese market have a potential to provide action driven. But even at their manga/anime adaptations, they casually make changes to the story, treating the WN portion like trash to add their own stuff.

Unlike the Japanese culture that has almost three generations of cultivation. The chinese culture is new-born plus the way the Chinese regime is ruling the country, they will never open up to anything new and instead will further restrict the availability to the produce of quality Chinese, since taboo subjects like skeletons may not happen.

So, No.

Japanese Anime, which is far more open to weird inspirations and fetishes. Will always appeal more.

kenar, ali3rd and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The japanese aren't much better than the chinese in many regards...

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because most animes don't reach you doesn't mean it's not good, you know. There are many new Japanese anime every year (new, not continueing). Ai-chan tried to list them all but gave up on the job half-way through the releases of Winter 2018. There are three other seasons in that year alone which also have a god load of stuff listed. Most of them were never shown outside Japan, either because they haven't found a distributor or the lack of translators. The stuff that reach you is less than 10% of what they produce. Out of all these, isekai is an extremely small percentage of animes released.

As for why it's not as influential, well, most of them were not advertised outside Japan. Why would they advertise outside Japan when they haven't planned on releasing them outside Japan? Other reasons could be due to lack of budget, which means there's no more budget for publicity. There's also the fact that many of them were not based on novels at all and were original ideas.

For example, do you know Fate/Extra has a new chapter? Do you know that Yuru Camp (sometimes called Yuri Camp, though there's no actual yuri) was really popular in Japan but you've never heard of it? How about Violet Evergarden, have you even heard of it? Do you know that Full Metal Panic has a new chapter after The Second Raid? Do you know that Piano no Mori was hot stuff in Japan but nobody outside Japan liked it? Do you know that Hataraku Saibou was only popular outside Japan because youtubers and American anime media covered it extensively? Have you heard Asobi Asobase? Banana Fish? Sirius? Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai? Irozuku Sekai no Ashita Kara? Yagate Kimi ni Naru? Dororo? Domestic na Kanojo? Did you know that Go-toubun no Hanayome has an anime?

None of these are isekai. It's not the Japanese fault that only isekai reach you. And to answer the question, no, Chinese animation will NOT surpass Japanese anime. In the first place, Chinese animation is even more constricted than Japanese animation, save for those they partnered with Japanese companies. At least the Japanese have very few legal restrictions on what they can make. Chinese companies have a lot of restrictions imposed by the communist party. Case in point, the recent ban on fighting genres.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    kenar, ali3rd, Renaxan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hoho, a long comment here~

I do know Yuru Camp, Fate series in general, Seishun buta yarou, Piano no Mori and others anime as I'm still an avid pop culture enthusiast.

But it is just a small percentage of the quality Japanese anime nowadays produced compared to the rest. You do know that every season that there are Isekai WN or LN that got adapted and it still continue nowadays with even a more massive growth on Isekai based on writing (WN/LN). So, it doesn't deny the current theme stalemate we encounter.

and Isekai is just one of the stalemate I mentioned. If even Go-toubun is considered as a quality produced, then it just means that Isekai is truly dominating the market. There are a few stalemate I remember such as school harem like DxD, Nisekoi, To Love Ru and battle school harem that only last 3 or 4 seasons.

9. sojyoscah

sojyoscah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NOPE!!! For me Chinese manhua anime version still can't compare to Japan's anime, too much skipping for manhua anime's, especially when it was adapted from LN. Even tho Japan anime's still skip some opening in the beginning of that novel after it has turned into anime it is'nt as bad as Chinese anime version. But i do agree that recent anime released is not as good as it used to be in the past or maybe my taste has changed after growing up. But if u tell me that Chinese anime's gonna win over Japan anime's then its a no:)

10. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    https://myanimelist.net/anime/37209/Sheng_Shi_Zhuang_Niang
    An adaptation of a Chinese web novel written by Li Xiao (荔箫).

:blobpopcorn_cool:

11. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    You said the japanese anime is stale in theme. Too many isekai.
    This is a case of information bias. You can check MyAnimeList for the number of anime in each season, and count the number of Isekai in it.

For the fall anime season of 2019, there are 3/45 upcoming anime that is isekai. That's 6.6%.
    Don't get me wrong, i hate generic isekai anime as much as everybody else, but i know that it's just the tip of the iceberg compare to what's coming out every season.

Last season we have Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr.Stone, Fire Force, Vinland Saga, Fruit Basket, Dumbell, Karakai Takagi san, Carole and Tuesday, Symphogear... just to name a few EXTREMELY good anime that came out JUST LAST SEASON.
    Each anime in that list has a distinct theme and feel to them, and they target different age group and demographics. We live in a era where there are so many anime that even professional Youtubers cant watch them all, simply because there are too many good anime to choose from.
    If you feel that isekai is a prolem, maybe choose a genre that's not isekai and start from there. You will be suprised at how many good anime you can find. Or if you want, just name a genre and i will recommend you great animes for you to watch.

The anime industry in Japan is too matured, China wont ever be able to compete in term of influence.

One more thing, China is communist and have tight grip on the media. Blood and gore is a big no-no. Even games like Diablo have to make a patch that covers all the bone and blood so the game can be released in china. Ecchi theme? Not a chance. Anime that dare to put forward questions about society like Psycho-pass? yeah no. China is just too restricting for such a expressive medium to flourish.

Fun fact, you can google China rap/hip hop scene to find out what happened to them in china ( China gorvement banned it, then made artist write rap songs praising the party). It's hillarious :))))))

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan merely added Go-toubun because the manga is Ai-chan's personal favourite and because Ai-chan got tired of going through the list. As for isekai, how can it be a stalemate and dominating the market at the same time when it's a niche genre with so few titles that you count on the fingers of one hand? While Ai-chan can agree that the latest season is surprisingly filled with isekai (WTF is with Maou-sama Retry character design?!!!), it's not really all that bad.

Kanata no Astra for example is Ai-chan's new favourite. Like it's about time! They just left this sitting for 3 years! Would've had much more hype if they had released it last year or the year before.

Narberal likes this.
  13. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It just seems to me that you need to expand your taste in anime. You seem to be pigeonholing yourself into isekai anime, which is your choice, but then making a blanket statement about how anime has no variety is just dumb.

Just go to MAL's seasonal list, there is a shit ton of anime more popular than you sperglord isekais and jrpg clones.

ali3rd likes this.
  14. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You literally cite trash tier anime as your proof of being an anime connoisseur , get a grip mate.

ali3rd likes this.
  15. acolyte

acolyte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did it turn you off? I really liked the designs. Close to manga, and reminds me of older anime.

16. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that anime does not mean I watched it
    Also what kind of anime do you really watch to be considered as an elitist? Evangelion? Cowboy Bebop? Berserk?

Imagine judging people based on what they know and watch OMEGA LUL

17. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    reminds me of that one time yuru camp do a cross over with metal gear solid, lol.
    uhm, I'm a bit disagree with the MC's hair .-.

Ai chan likes this.
  18. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about being elitist though some people and I have tried to tell you that there so much anime that you can choose to watch other than isekai. And no, I'm not talking about classification at all. It seems that I'm failed to deliver my intention because of poor wording. I was trying to say what @Ai chan say. :blobpeek:

Ai chan and ali3rd like this.
  19. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    You sure you reply was adressed to me? Cause I didn't say that

20. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can say capitalism can be as bad or worse than communism but you're going on deluded level of reasoning when saying 100 times worse. I was born in a communist country, there can be good things but there were plenty of martyrs, oppression & constant fear. I guess even the moderate communist China with its social credit score does not score you of some dystopian hell?

As for your other point. I think most good anime come from manga with few exceptions from novel or others. In fact, I think that Japan have their own version of LN which is made to be closer to the formate of mangas in term of expressing their story. China does not have that & even novels that are being turned into manhua... they feel awkward, rushed or lacking details/depth or even personality. This is shown in chinese anime... it feels dulls, no real connection/communication, I think that only few anime have a good story which is that one involving e-sports.
    I think the chinese have to evolve the way they express themselves. Japan have made a really good system where they can transform LN to anime, manga or vice versa. It's a nice rotation. I think the editors did this or maybe the way they expressed themselves. I have not studied it in depth to give an accurate reason, this is just my observation.

kenar and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.