Spoiler The Founder of Diabolism

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by kiara8, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sayu9913

sayu9913 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its such a delight seeing all the beautiful welcome messages :) Xiao Zhan is scheduled to arrive at 1am, not sure when Yibo is arriving

2. ez

ez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    together.. seated next to each other in the plane

3. fangirl79

fangirl79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My internet exploded this morning with endless streams of clips and pictures from Bangkok. So happy everyone arrives safely, and congratulations to the fans for outdoing themselves this time! The preparations, the hype, the people - everything looks spectacular so far. Maybe because I'm closer to Thailand, following this FM feels like my own personal journey to discover and get up close to the Untamed cast members too (virtually :blob_grin:)

I read somewhere that Xiao Zhan and Yibo arrived in separate flights and timings, though it's hard to make out the details from shaky blurred videos. I think Xiao Zhan will leave tonight for Milan (??) (poor soul, having no break and working so hard), while Yibo gets at least a night's rest and takes a morning flight out tomorrow. I was hoping they could squeeze in some "let's explore Bangkok" filming (and me secretly wishing to see how XZ and WYB react to local foods like tom yum goong and mango sticky rice), but I guess there's probably not enough time between getting everyone properly rested up and ready for tonight's FM. :blobsweat:

Wishing the FM a great success, and I will wait for the DVD release!!! :blob_pompom: (or shaky blurred videos in twitter)

4. shuwei

shuwei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly this CQL fanmeeting took an incredible amount of effort from both the fans and cast to make happen. Xiao Zhan was filming for his new drama up until he left for the airport yesterday and arrived BKK in the dead of night. he will have to leave catch a flight immediately after the fanmeet. Wang Yibo was filming in remote mountains for his new drama up until his 7 hours overnight car ride to the nearest airport. he arrived in Bangkok at the crack of dawn and only a few hours before the first event of the day the press conference. like did they even sleep? I'm glad the effort is responded in kind by the fans. boy, the individual fanclubs are flexing like their lives are dependent on this event, and it's Thailand so the CP fans don't have to be scared to anyone and tiptoe around either

but just overall I can't believe the juggernaut MDZS has become. it's wild seeing the billboards and LEDs of WWX and LWJ throughout the public areas in the city. in a foreign country! even if it was the most successful BL novel of the year, I would have ever imagined this when I read the novel in 2016 lol

Christina Gordon, YaoiMom22 and Ami like this.
  5. sayu9913

sayu9913 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fanmeet is going so well!!! Loved loved loved all the performances and the games! Everything seems spot on! I was pleasantly surprised by the actress of A-Qing, she has such a beautiful voice. She got so much hate when they announced she would be coming to the fanmeet instead of Shijie.

6. fangirl79

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm dead. and still dying. halllp... *makes incoherent noises*

So many wonderful pictures from the press-con, bazaar, and shaky clips flooding my screen. Love seeing Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo get together again. The screaming fans are epic. The whole fanmeet is fantastic. Love seeing that "kiss" (thank you for the meal), love their ping pong game, love the chicken fight (baby in diapers vs little green monster), love listening to the other cast members sing (awesome voice), love Song Jiyang and his angelic dance, there's so much I want to say and report but I'm already dead. Still dying. Can't die yet, now they're dueting WuJi... *dies again*...

Wake me up tomorrow after the carnage...

Edit: "See you again"... says the final picture...
    What a fantastic event and unforgettable night !!! Thank you CQL Untamed !!! Please release the DVD soon !!! See you in the Nanjing concert and anywhere else where we will meet again !!! :blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    YaoiMom22 likes this.
  7. Sandu

Sandu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The release date for the Lan Wangji nendoroid has been delayed until October. :cry: My Wei Wuxian nendo's going to be lonely for a little longer... But never mind, as long as the quality of the nendoroid is okay, that's what matters in the end. I'm sure nendo Lan Wangji's going to be pretty enough to be worth the wait.

I was a little surprised to find that WWX and LWJ pre-orders sold out at so many places so quickly. And there's hardly anywhere which has the WWX nendo available for sale any more. MDZS fans are out in force, it seems!

I'm still hoping they'll release a Jiang Cheng nendoroid and some of the rest of the cast. There's still a chance for them to be announced later.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. ez

ez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the kiss on the cheek that did not happen ! :p

now..truly the end.. they will never really share the stage unless at an award show

9. fangirl79

Reading List:
    Link
    The aftermath: over a gig's worth of clips and pictures picked off from twitter in a span of 3 hours on the FM and related events. I haven't even started trawling my other usual haunts, and I'm scared that they'll be flooded with even better, higher quality stuff in the next hours when fans and professionals settle down to polish up their yummy ill-gotten (heh) booty. There's so much to go through that I can't even. :blobdizzy:

So happy that 95% of the stuff I managed to grab are about Xiao Zhan and Yibo. I can feel that CQL Untamed as reached a kind of closure when Yibo waved bye-bye and Zhan Ge left for his next flight. Sad that there isn't more tonight, but I'm glad everyone has had their fill. Although I see the real persons, I can sort of feel the wangxian aura from those two. Yiling Patriach makes the girls scream and silences them with his finger :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

Hope to see them perform again in Nanjing concert. Now where is that damn movie and 2 extra specials coming ??!! :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy:

10. sayu9913

sayu9913 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    YaoiMom22 likes this.
  11. Lucasta MeiMei

Lucasta MeiMei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your opinion about Madam Yu? Anyone knows if it's true that she forced Jiang FengMian to marry her? Was it in the novel or something the author said in one of her interviews? Or was it fanfiction and I got them mixed?

12. Sauling

Sauling Wangxian[忘羨] is my Precious OTP ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that was depressing, I actually got that email from AmiAmi since that's where I preordered mines, and I thought something happened to my order or something.

Whatever it is, I hope it will get release and arrive safely, the angst of waiting here :cry: But I'm sure he's going to be worth the wait :X3:

I think it's an arranged marriage or something.

My opinion of Madam Yu is that....(no offense to her fans though)

I hate her on my end... She's actually an epitome of the character I don't like.

She is self-centered, and her jealousy, while understandable, but can be quite toxic with how she handles it, which leads to her verbal abuse when it comes to the kids, especially Wei Ying most of all makes my blood boil.

The CQL her makes it even worse for me, because at least they fix the issue with Jiang Fengmian not showing how he favours Wei Ying, yet CQL Madam Yu still is the same as canon, which I can't stand. Everytime she opens her mouth to express her jealousy, she makes it so awkward and there's tension in the air, which makes Jiang Cheng insecure, and makes Wei Ying feels bad, when this isn't his fault at all.

Wei Ying may not say it, but it's evident in the Gatecrashing Extra Chapter, where the topic of 'servants' was brought up, when he made that comment, that it's typical because most people look down on servants, even servants sometimes looks down on themselves, while Wei Ying say he is different, but I know he was only being defensive and didn't want to talk badly about Madam Yu, but I believe that Madam Yu verbal abuse and how she kept saying that Wei Ying is just a sevant and always reminding him that he's not part of the family, and Jiang Cheng is, is really what rubbed in on him all these years while growing up, that he's nothing more than a servant, thus makes him look down on himself as well (that's why he can resonate and made that general comment that even servants sometimes look down on themselves.

Anyway's, I know she loves Jiang Cheng, but she's not good at expressing this in a positive way.
    I DON'T agree that she loves Wei Ying though but that's how I see it.

For me, to put it simply, I blame Madam Yu for the Jiang not having a loving family, because while part of this is Fengmian's fault, but I see that the most of this is being Madam Yu's fault because I've seen when Fengmian wanted to talk to her, in the donghua about Yanli's marriage, but Madam Yu put in a tantrum/temper showing how close-minded she was, and honestly, I can understand why Fengmian wouldn't want to try making that first step with her anymore, because it seems pointless.

Anyways, for me, I don't like Madam Yu at all, and yes, she is on my hate list in MDZS. While I do know she is not an evil person, and she have her own morals, but I can't connect or agree with her morals or her verbal abuse (on Wei Ying). I blame her for how Jiang Cheng turned out (to be like his mother), and you see, even Jiang Cheng made a list of criteria for his future wife (more like Yanli and not like his mother) so while I DON'T hate Jiang Cheng, because I do like him in the very end when he changed, but Madam Yu? I don't like her on my end. I'm just thankful that Yanli is nothing like her mother at all. If Madam Yu was like Yanli, then I truly believe that Fengmian and his wife, will be able to give a loving family environment for their children while growing up, but too bad.

Sometimes I rather wish that Madam Yu was married to Jin Guangshan instead, but yeah, since someone asked for an opinion, I gave it my honest opinion.

13. Lucasta MeiMei

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it's an arranged marriage, but I heard she somehow played a hand in this and forced it to happen, that's why I asked.

And I agree. The only time I actually liked her was when she slapped Wen Chao's whatever she is. I forgot her name.

That's actually it. The whole likeable thing about her. And not because she tried to defend Wei Ying. She was ready to cut his hand off if that girl didn't bring up the supervising thingy. Her hate towards him is too much. She is half to blame for the failed marriage, even more if she really forced Jiang FengMian.

(Why did they have to fix the fact that Jiang FengMian preferred Wei Ying? Is part of his character even if I dislike it and it sort of explains why Madam Yu acts like that towards Wei Wuxian.)

Because of her, Jiang Cheng felt inferior to Wei Wuxian all his life. The fact that he was a natural talent and excelled in everything really didn't help at all. But what could Wei Wuxian do? Hold back just to make Jiang Cheng feel better? Well, I think that would be an even harsher insult. I'm impressed Jiang Yanli ended up to be such a sweetheart, so selfless and kind hearted, despite the fact that she grew in the same environment. She took the best from her father. Well, she didn't have the pressure of surpassing Wei Wuxian either.

Yes, I agree with the fact that she didn't love Wei Wuxian. When they parted she only said to him to protect Jiang Cheng with his life. I don't even know if it's a matter of trust at that point. He was the only one who could be next to Jiang Cheng in that moment. And I think she knew that the Wen's were going to go after their heads after all of that was done. What could Wei Wuxian really do? He was more or less a teenager at that point, no matter how brilliant he was in the six arts.

I know she wasn't a bad person, but her personality is detestable. Each family scene with her in it held some sort of tension in the air. It's a wonder how Jiang FengMian stood loyal to her all these years. I don't remember well how their deaths were in the novel, but both the donghua and the drama depicted them as if they were about to make peace and be happy together right before the tragedy hits. It's just.. why would Jiang FengMian do that? The only good thing that came out from that marriage were these two precious children.

I really want to like her, I really do, but she makes it so hard. Maybe she didn't have time to develop her character because she died too soon. I just... yeah.

And that would be an interesting turn of events. I do like Madam Jin very much on my end! The poor woman suffered a lot too near Jin Guangshan. Maybe she would have been happier with Jiang FengMian while Madam Yu would worry each day because of that womanizer. She didn't realise how lucky she was.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Ze Wu Jun, AI Xin and Sauling like this.
  14. Sauling

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if she had a hand in this forced marriage judging by how she always wants things to go her way... Which yes, this makes me hate her more for this.

I can't understand how her fans tried to defend her and said she loves Wei Ying because honest to God? Where's the love? Every time shes in the picture she either gives verbal abuse at Wei Ying or punish him or give him the verbal abuse and then punish him... I am really admiring how forgiving Wei Ying is on her because if I was him I would have resented her on my end. But ironically that is also one of the things I love about Wei Ying, because he show me this side to him.

There is no love from Madam Yu on Wei Ying, he treats Wei Ying and reminds him every time that she's in the picture that Wei Ying is a servant. She even scolded Yanli when she was peeling lotus seeds for Wei Ying... She was scolding her that she is the princess in the family and so she should not be peeling seeds for a servant. Scolding her to mind her of her position (status) and reminding Wei Ying once again he's a servant...

And that whole scene when she was even ok to cut off one of Wei Ying's arms instead of protecting him like a family member... Where is the love?! The only reason she stopped was because of her "pride" being on the line so she didn't stop for considering Wei Ying as a family member but she stopped because Wen Chao's woman said that they will be making the Jiang sect as their own thus that was Madam Yu's pride on the line where she got mad at her for being so cocky since the Jiang sect belongs to her and (her family)... So did she stopped for Wei Ying? No! she stopped because her pride was being stomped on...

When Madam Yu bid farewell to Jiang Cheng, it was motherly of her but that's only displayed on Jiang Cheng, I'll always remember that up to the last moment she still blames Wei Ying for all that went wrong, she was scolding Wei Ying and put this in a tone that "this is all your fault, so you should protect Jiang Cheng with your life, even if it means you'll die doing it", I think she really emphasise that with her tone "even if you die doing it, you need to protect Jiang Cheng to the end" ...And to the very end, instead of showing me her "love" for Wei Ying as a family member, she treated him nothing more than a servant telling Wei Ying to protect Jiang Cheng with his life. So to the very end she still show me a side to her that I hate when it comes to her mannerism and attitude on Wei Ying. And I am sick and tired of people defending Madam Yu stance and say this is Wei Ying's fault, surely Madam Yu is blinded by her jealousy and hate, but can her fans not have an open mind about this? It ISN'T Wei Ying's fault that lotus pier got burned down, he was even ready to give up his right arm to protect lotus pier but Madam Yu anger and pride got the best of her where she went against WC woman(not for Wei Ying, but for her pride) where she punished her caused the final result of what happened; but Madam Yu actually blame this on Wei Ying instead and didn't see that she was the contribution to lotus pier destruction...Sorry, but what WY did was to stand up against WC to protect an innocent, and it was already said that WC have plans to take over YMJ sect anyways, sooner or later so, it's not Wei Ying fault for what happened to lotus pier, but this escalated because of what Madam Yu did, when she punish WC woman for her cocky attitude when speaking to Madam Yu like she own the place thus stepping on Madam Yu's pride, so Madam Yu was protecting her pride and showing WC woman of her place that she should mind her position.... It was indeed nice to see her beat the crap out of WC woman but it was equally annoying how she blame and fault Wei Ying for the destruction of lotus pier when SHE holds a massive contribution to what happened in the end. Wei Ying was even willing to give up his right arm to protect lotus pier , but Madam Yu was like "nope, you stomp on my pride, speaking like you own the place so you deserve to be punished.." so that anger WC woman and in the end that's what happened..So really, the more I think the more I end up hating Madam Yu >.<

For me, I have to say that in the final moment, Fengmian shows more of a mutual fatherly love on BOTH Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng this is why to me he is always forever better when compared to Madam Yu (in that aspect of having parent love).

So really, I don't have anything positive to say about Madam Yu at all. I wanted to like her but she is just on my bad term when she's in the picture and what she's showing me...

She have been jealous for all her life and what do she want? She should be happy that Fengmian is nothing like Jin Guangshan for being a womanizer, even if Fengmian loves Wei Ying's mother? He can't help it. Besides how can Madam Yu expect Fengmian to love her if she is just so horrible to deal with? You be in the same room, it will explode to an argument, you try to talk to her but she is close minded, in the end, the problem isn't on Fengmian.. it's on Madam Yu... But of course to her she blames this on Wei Ying and Fengmian.. another reason why I can't like her is because she doesn't admit her faults.. even if she's wrong. Don't verbal abuse someone when you're not any better ....

Yanli is really a sweet angel and I'm really glad that despite of her mother's upbringing she got her father's gene for being kind and loving.

Madam Jin is a much better character to me, and honestly I really wish she was paired with Fengmian and Madam Yu with Jin Guangshan instead. Madam Yu didn't realize how lucky she was to have Fengmian when compared to Jin Guangshan, at least Fengmian isn't a womanizer and that on its own is already faithful in my eyes. She is really too blind with her pride to realize how lucky she was when compared to her friend.

Also, imo, when it comes to arranged marriage you need time to develop feelings for each other, and with how Madam Yu have been with her attitude, it isn't surprising how Fengmian couldn't return her feelings. Honestly Fengmian is already too kind to her, if it was me I really wanted to slap her and reason with her until she gets the point because I call that a wake up slap but, in the end, in my eyes, the family didn't work out and Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng being grown up in that kind of environment, I honestly blame Madam Yu most of all.

For Jiang Cheng he really got all his mother bad genes.. surprisingly he is redeemable to me because at least I see development in his character at the end, I do however love him better in the live action though. In that one(live action) he really showed me on more than one occasion that he sees Wei Ying as a family member, not just his subordinate. But no matter which version it is, he also too prideful like his mother, and Wei Ying understood that, that's why
    Wei Ying never reveal the truth about his GC because that would hurt his pride. In the end, they ended up walking different paths because they have different morals on what is the right thing. But I do know they still care for each other, so this is why, while I also have things I don't like about JC, he is redeemable to me because he isn't as horrible as his mother, since at least JC can show me a better side to his character at the end.

So in the end, I am honestly not a fan of Madam Yu. She is a very dislikeable character to me. JC while I'm not a fan of his character, but I never hated him since I blame Madam Yu for how JC turned out. At the end JC became a better character to me so I like him in the end. Personally I'm glad that Madam Yu wasn't the one who raised Jin Ling because I don't want him to have all the bad genes from his grandma, the thing about what makes Jin Ling better is he can't stand by and watch an innocent get hurt or something so I always love how Jin Ling is different in that aspect.

15. sayu9913

sayu9913 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel Madam Yu was created more to be a a part of the sob story behind WWX and JC characters (like Petunia Dursely from Harry Potter but better written). I'm sorry if i offended Madam Yu fans. Her character was very conflicting in itself. While she suffered from an arranged marriage her whole life, she literally wanted her daughter to follow the same fate. And of course, the added cruelty to WWX and JC. I felt the author tried to redeem her through the fight with the Wens, but it doesn't absolve anything she did before; JC continues to bear the scars.

Lucasta MeiMei likes this.
  16. Lucasta MeiMei

Reading List:
    Link
    JC is such a flawed character, but we know his background story and honestly, not everything is his fault. He resembles his mother a lot when he grows up, but unlike her, he is likeable! At least for me. It shows that he has conflicted feelings and i understand most of his actions. I would close myself too if all that s**t happened to me and trust no one. I love the fact that he is sarcastic though. It makes him a lot less menacing.

I really felt throughout the whole novel that he does care for Wei Wuxian, even after he came back. (We can see that even after Lotus Pier burnt he was willing to sacrifice himself for Wei Wuxian, even if previously he blamed him for what happened - the scene with why did you have to save Lan Wangji and Jin ZiXuan)

Then with the Yiling Patriarch. Jiang Cheng wanted to protect Wei Wuxian, but he had his hands tied. He was just starting to built his sect again and Jin Guangshan treated him like s**t. If the other sects would be by Jin Guangshan's side and wouldn't risk a war I'm sure he would have claimed Yunmeng as his territory. He had the power since almost everyone that Jiang Cheng recruited were more or less inexperienced with cultivation. That's my opinion!

Coming back to Wei Wuxian. Because of this pressure he couldn't do anything and let him go.

Then as for Wei Wuxian's death. I'm not sure he would have killed him even if he reached him before the fierce corpses did. Tbh, Jiang Yanli was kind of stupid to throw herself in that fight and call after Wei Wuxian. But even so, it's not like Wei Wuxian killed her. She sacrificed herself for him and after some thinking maybe Jiang Cheng would have understand.

I think they might have fought again, but I somehow doubt he would give the final blow.

Even after 13 years I don't think he would have killed him. If he wanted to, he would have done so the second he caught him alone. Or even after he left, I don't think he would have left him with such low security?? (Sorry Jin Ling, Fairy and those few extras in the background)

Although the fact that he killed every demonic cultivator that he caught is kind of unsettling. Maybe there's some truth in there, maybe those who he released never said a word. Even if they did, rumours are meant to be spicy. Maybe he was taking his anger on them because he saw what that path can do? I don't know what to think about this part tbh, but on my end I do like Jiang Cheng. He's alright. Hope he'll make a heir or something or the fate of both Yunmeng and Jin sect falls on Jin Ling's shoulders. The poor boy would have to make a football team to make sure that everyone gets a heir!

Jin Ling is an innocent sweetheart that deserves all the love Wei Wuxian throws at him, because we all know how tsundere JC acts even if he cares. All in all, despite with who he had grown up with, Jin Ling came out great! With all the bullying and stuff!

From her started all the rupture between JC and WWX. Thanks to her Jin Ling was born. If she didn't force Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan to catch this idea of marriage they might have never even meet. Who knows really. Or maybe they would have liked each other and get together sooner since nothing was forced. There's so many possibilities. But I agree that she added a lot to the tragedy in the family and made it all sadder. She influenced Jiang Cheng's character a lot though. Would he be different if she had a different personality? Possibly. Maybe that would have affected the story too? I really don't know what to say.

I like how you pointed out the marriage thing! I didn't think about it! Maybe she doesn't regret anything even if her marriage is a failure and thinks that Jiang Yanli would be the same as long as she marries someone powerful.

The fight with the Wen's showed how badass she is. And I would have liked her so much if only she would have seen her flaws and tried to make it better instead of being stuck in the same routine. Or if she had an actual good reason for being such a sour grape. She seems to be content with what she had. No goals or anything (For herself not for her children) so i don't understand her behaviour at all.

17. Sauling

Reading List:
    Link
    Well when it comes to Jiang Cheng I'll be honest I always feel conflicted on how I really feel about him, mix feelings will be a good term to describe my feelings for his character for me. But one thing I am certain of is that I never hated Jiang Cheng even when he does show me the side to him I don't like at times.

Of course I never doubted that he cares for Wei Ying because he does, but he is still very much jealous of him and I didn't really like seeing that side to him, of course his inferior complex doesn't help, and this isn't his fault , this I blame his mother for always comparing and reminding Jiang Cheng about how his father favours Wei Ying more, making him feel insecure on his end.

I don't know how much of it is true that Jiang Cheng caught those demonic cultivators and torture them where none of them come out alive or them being caught will never make it out again, but judging from "rumours" and even what Jin Ling said , I can deduce that Jiang Cheng really let his anger get the better of him and killed all those innocents and that's actually not something I like as a revelation on my end.

Anyways for me I do see that Jiang Cheng is a victim to his mother upbringing because his whole life he wanted to be better than Wei Ying to meet his Mother's standards but this isn't what Fengmian wants, and this is why I blamed Madam Yu for how Jiang Cheng turns out.

For me between the novel and the live action, I personally love the portrayal of Jiang Cheng's character better in the live action and I will say that in the live action while Jiang Cheng still is pretty much the same as canon, but because of these little changes and addition, he is among my favourite character in the live action version because at least in that one, I do see these moments where he really showed me that he cares and shows concern for Wei Ying as a family member. I even love the addition the CQL (live action) team put in to show me that when Wei Ying left a note saying that he have important thing to do, where he went off on a journey with Lan Zhan, Jiang Cheng was angry at Wei Ying (mostly being concerned about him) where he went off somewhere alone again doing something dangerous and despite he showed his father the note, where he was saying to his father that he'll go look for him and his father told him to just let it be and said that they'll return to the sect for now, Jiang Cheng still went out of his way to go off on his own to bring Wei Ying back secretly the next morning and I absolutely love that addition in the live action, because it really is a powerful scene in the live action showing how Jiang Cheng considers Wei Ying as a family member.

I don't know for me I personally feel they're closer in the live action and I love that better. If only I can see that in the novel too, coming from Jiang Cheng to the same extent as the live action then I would have liked Jiang Cheng as a favourite in the novel too, despite there are negatives, but oh well, I don't hate Jiang Cheng in the novel though, and while I won't say I am a fan to him in the Novel but I do like him at the very end when he changed and there is no denying that Jiang Cheng cares for Wei Ying in his own way even when I feel that WY really sacrificed alot for him, I just wish they never have to walk separate paths, personally I feel that they wouldn't have if Jiang Cheng share the same morals as Wei Ying in helping an innocent Wen's and I think that's what drove them apart sadly. Despite all this I really wish that JC and Wei Ying can be like before, because they do care for each other. I know Wei Ying cares for Jiang Cheng a lot, and it's sad that we never really get a happy closure for these two brothers, one can only head canon.

AI Xin and sayu9913 like this.
  18. sayu9913

sayu9913 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've not yet finished the novel, but have seen the donghua and LA. And just like you, I loved the characterization of JC in live action. They made the Yunmeng siblings (all three of them) so beautiful and close. JC loved WWX, loved the scenes such as secretly getting drunk at Gusu and teasing him about his ideal woman. The first scene at Caiyi Town where all three are together with identical smiles was so precious. Hence it hurt so much when their relationship started deteriorating, one bit at a time. The scenes at the Guanyin temple where WWX wiped his brothers tears, and the scene at the end where the real secret is revealed about JC sacrificing himself for WWX, those were so beautifully done. Whether or not in MoDao Universe the brothers get together of not, I dont know. But I feel in the world of Untamed, they will someday. It wont be as carefree as the past, too much has happened.

I didnt like JC in the donghua, quite simply because he felt more like WWX's retainer than his brother. That's a personal preference though, I love the donghua otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    AI Xin and Sauling like this.
  19. Sauling

Reading List:
    Link
    The characterization of JC in the live-action was done so much better in comparison to both the novel and the donghua for me personally, and I cannot not love Jiang Cheng in the live action.

He really have showed me more than one occasion where he genuinely cares for Wei Ying like a 'family' member, and these additions and changes in the Live-Action made me like him better in CQL. And honestly, that's all I need to like him despite his character does have negatives for me, but he isn't a hate-able character to me (like his mother anyway).

For e.g.

The scene when Wei Ying saved Jin Ling in GuangYin temple from Jin GuangYao, Jiang Cheng showed concern for BOTH Wei Ying and Jin Ling, when he yelled out Jin Ling and Wei Ying's name when they both fell down because Wei Ying push Jin Ling out of danger. This was an addition in the Live-Action for Jiang Cheng on Wei Ying.

Another scene I love was when Jiang Cheng returned ChenQing (his flute) to Wei Ying, and when Wei Ying was playing the flute to control the resentment energy that is overflowing, and Jiang Cheng was actually looking at Wei Ying, and he was smiling at him, and that kind of smile was like 'back to the old times', where nothing has changed and I love that. This was an addition in the live-action where it shows Jiang Cheng looking at Wei Ying, and smiling.

Even at the post-siege at Burial Mound (in the present time) when that annoying Sect Leader Yao after escaping out of the danger thanks to Wei Ying, Lan Zhan holding off the corpse back there, he was like "let's escape! Let's get out of here!" without showing a decent heart to wait for Wei Ying or Lan Zhan, but Jiang Cheng didn't want to leave yet, because he was worried for Wei Ying (even though he doesn't say it), but his expression expresses it, how he was annoyed at Sect Leader Yao for just suggesting such an idea at an inappropriate time, and it was also nice to see Jin Ling and Sizhui being concerned about waiting for Wei Ying and Lan Zhan back there too.

So yeah, there's actually alot more of the other scenes that I love as well in CQL(Live Action), which you have briefly pointed out nicely, so yeah, looking at all this makes JC characterization more likeable and preferrable to me in the live-action but it also makes it more sad when their brother-bond broke like this, it's really sad, however, I felt like in CQL world, it is more hopeful in that aspect that one day they will be able to be like before again, ofcourse not exactly like before, but they will sit down, have a cup of wine and talk like old times or something. I like to headcanon this will happen in the novel after-ending as well. Since it isn't as hopeless because it's clear that Jiang Cheng no longer hates Wei Ying at the end so one can hope here.

As for the Donghua, I do agree with you there about Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying's relationship. I don't feel that deep brother bond coming from Jiang Cheng's end, but that's actually to be expected, since they really did opt out those scenes in the donghua. Even when Wei Ying's return as the Yiling Patriarch, we didn't get any brother moments between Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying like we did in CQL and the novel, which CQL closely follows the novel in that part. Ignoring that, I do still love the donghua on my end.

AI Xin likes this.
  20. Lucasta MeiMei

Reading List:
    Link
    @Sauling @sayu9913 I have such conflicted feelings when it comes to the live action. I know a lot of people love it, but I honestly don't understand what everyone sees something so great about it and it's frustrating. I see both of your points and although it pains me to admit (I exaggerated a little there), from what you said they did a better job than the donghua in showing the brotherly love they have, that's for sure.

Well, they are both adaptations so of course there's gonna be changes. Some for the better I see - the novel still touched me more at the end when Jiang Cheng made that reveal in his thoughts. He acted cold towards him through the novel, but in the end it showed how he always cared for him in his own twisted way - even poor Jin Ling gets a cold treatment. His personality is truly frustrating sometimes. Good thing fanfiction is there to make him succumb into the depths of love and transform him into a soft tsundere.

As for the donghua they still have time to do stuff in S3 and honestly I hope they will not f**k up again and rush through everything like they did with S2. I might love it to death, but I'm not blind. I guess they were too busy or they just didn't like the money or the award that came with S1? Yes, yes, I know I'm being mean. I just feel disappointed:blobconfounded:

And I'll deviate from the subject a little bit and talk about the live action. Is there anyone, ANYONE, who likes the fight scenes? Or the T pose when they fly? I remember I was shocked to see THE SERIOUS HanGuang-Jun (used with him in the novel and donghua) flying like that in his entrance scene. I paused that scene, stared like an idiot at the screen and laughed. Sorry, I really don't want to sound mean, I was honestly amused. I've never watched any live actions so maybe that's why the impact was so strong on me right then.

Anyway, I got over it, ignored those parts and continued watching. And here me out, it's just me or they made both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji somehow... dumber? Even Jiang Cheng! And I'll explain why they left me with this impression.

There's two particular scenes that caught my attention when I really tried to concentrate on the story.

First one, the scene with the Goddess statue when they were young. Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian and Nie HuaiSang were running from those corpses or whatever they were, all tensed because they didn't know how to escape and they were trapped! After all the danger left, Jiang f*****g Cheng came out from behind the statue! Like boi?? What did you think when all the corpses were about to enter the cave and kill you all? All the strange sounds? The doors almost giving out? Did you think those 3 made all that? And you stood there hiding all this time? And they were amused too? I just, all right. I got over it too.

Then I came across another scene with Lan Wangji that made me stop thinking about what I'm watching and just... see the images.

Remember the scene with Wen Chao coming in Cloud Recesses to get a part of the Yin metal or something? And they attacked everything and everyone? Well, everything goes normal. Then this part came.

The clan exclusively goes into hiding in the cave where the past female ancestor stood for years. Because only those with the forehead ribbon need to stay alive. (Imo this goes against their teachings)

But that's not the point of why I'm telling this. The point is the following. Lan Wangji has a part of the Yin metal. He goes inside the cave with the rest while the Wen stand outside with a lot of the Gusu's disciples.

THEY STAY IN THERE AND LISTEN AND WAITS FOR EVERYONE DO DIE EXCEPT SU SHE (I mean really??) Then when Su She is about to die too, Lan Wangji goes outside WITH THE YIN METAL cuz he couldn't just leave it inside with the others! Do I need to say more on why I believe they made him dumber?? And I know there's scenes like this with Wei Wuxian too. I didn't finish it, but heard a lot of spoiler about the end - and all I can say - rip Wei Wuxian's powers? :blobjoy: Su She. SU SHE.

And I'll have a super unpopular opinion here. For me, Wei Wuxian from the live action is not my idea of Wei Wuxian. I have nothing against the actor, he's nice and all, I'm strictly talking about the character. He... I don't know what word to use here. Maybe 'moves' too much? Not exactly move. When he's talking with someone for example he's like a little kid that is on a sugar rush and can't stop shaking. I understand that Wei Wuxian is full of energy, but... he kinds of exaggerate it? The tap on his nose, that would be cute, but he also does it too much imo.

The actor for Lan Wangji was fine for me, I really liked him. He knows how to express emotions with only his eyes so points for him!

I liked a few things in the live action, but, overall it's not my cup of tea. I feel so weird tbh. Everyone praises it so much and I'm just like, is something wrong with me?

AI Xin and baka8roukanako like this.