Resolved falsified free chapter count(due to paywall setup)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by namidairo, Oct 3, 2019.

1. namidairo

namidairo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    was searching for a new novel to read found the title the fantastic super vision from tapread. NU shows the series as having 170 chapters released for reading while actual reading on the site starts locking them behind the site currency from around chapter 114. your scraper is grabbing the other chapters because the site shows chapter title and 2 sentences before it fades out to the amount of currency needed to view. i would assume this also applies to other stories by them as well.

2. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there should be an icon in the title site-wide or a specific tag automatically applied to novels hosted on paywall sites like webnovel. Mainly so I can easily avoid them. What's the point in starting a story when you're going to get paywalled eventually?

I refuse to read anything on webnovel because of the attitude and culture of that site; a bunch of greedy criminals, the lot of them. Happy to DMCA anyone at the drop of the hat, but also perfectly happy to host plagiarised content and pay the "author" for posting it. Their reviews system shows 5/5 rating for novels that only have 1-star ratings pointing out the plagiarism. Not to mention how much of a rip-off their stones system is. Maybe you get like 8 free per day but then a single chapter can easily be 10+ stones, so you can't even read one chapter per day for free. What if you have multiple novels you're reading that require stones? You can't even "buy a book" at decent prices, last time I checked, it's just 10+ stones per chapter and with the way Chinese web novels are written a single volume can easily be a hundred chapters. It's a greedy, money-sucking, corrupt setup. Awful, awful site.

If it was up to me anything hosted on webnovel would be immediately deleted from NU entirely, but I can settle for an automated way to identify and avoid them. I'd be quite happy if any novel actively hosted on webnovel was simply not visible to me anywhere on NU unless I click a direct link from elsewhere, like in a Discord, but then there's an automatic icon in the title or over the cover art.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use the release filtering?

4. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That feature says it only removes then from the home page, not from other places like the recommended links on novels. Also relies on me manually finding and adding each paywall site, so it's not automatic, and doesn't add an icon to the title for easy identification. It's a small first step.

5. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you can just report the novel?

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobcatcop:

When it was accepted on NU, it was probably freely accessible without paywall. The paywall is possibly a recent feature added.

When you see something like this, you should report it so it can be rectified.

Same goes for the other guy, use that Report feature. Staffs will work on it if they can. We can't resolve a problem that we don't know.

AliceShiki likes this.