How to be a good tutor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Naruin, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like what the title says.... anyone have some good tips how to be a good tutor? (/.\)
    my aunt asked me to tutor my cousin but unfortunately i had a bad record... T^T
    I once tried teaching someone but... they had a hard time understanding me.. _| ̄|○
    need some help pls~ (^人^)my allowance depends on this! *cough* :blob_blush:

2. TouchMeLikeASpaceBar

TouchMeLikeASpaceBar [Innocent]

Reading List:
    Link
    Being able to explain the teaching material in the most simple way possible will do it

TokioftheBel, Lurking and otaku31 like this.
  3. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of tutor?

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't have to be simple. It's more if you can make it relatable and/or fun.

TokioftheBel, Naruin, Lurking and 3 others like this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    become a sexy tutor
    e hehehe.png
    summon @Ai chan
    who was a teacher

this cat have no idea~
    well you need to know which material for tutoring other, which field and such
    this cat only have experience tutoring classmates several times so it may unrelated
    swt.png

Naruin likes this.
  6. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the tutor items is glasses :blob_sunglasses:

7. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Make it fun or interesting. Nothing worse than following the workbooks from school.

8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell your cousin that if she got As, you'll reward her with your body. :p

Your cousin is a guy?
    Good luck, use lots of lube. :ROFLMAO:

fredhapii, Naruin and otaku31 like this.
  9. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a good listener. Don't push for them to understand but rather, try to guide them there.

blues86, TokioftheBel, Naruin and 4 others like this.
  10. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    How to be a good tutor? easy your hand is the answer, if your cousin answer wrongly or make a fuss or not want to obey your command, just use your hand to slap his/her buttock and don't be stingy, repeat again if necessary..... (well it was a joke, don't try this at any place and any time)

The best advice i can give you is try think from your cousin perspective, if you were your cousin why this problem cannot be solved? Also try cooperate, if your cousin still a little brat and only want to play all day you're doomed (lack motivation will lead to failure)

blues86, mir, Lurking and 1 other person like this.
  11. ASplashOfMusic

ASplashOfMusic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't always spoonfeed all the information. Ask them questions to guide their thinking process in the right direction, especially for more complicated concepts. Make them work for the answers/explanations. If the answers are coming from them, they would understand the topic better.

blues86, Naruin, mir and 2 others like this.
  12. Tennou

Tennou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    understanding your student is my key and the point is to make them(students) be cooperative in your teaching session.
    everybody always has that urge to learn something, though they also adopt different method of learning, knowing that is the one of the keys and since you will only teach one student (your cousin) and he/she is also your relative(assuming you visits your aunts a lot and know his/her day to day habits) will make this 'knowing' process easier, since you can observe he/her when they play and learn something new.

....long story short, for student that prefer practical studying you have to pay efforts in making 'study & play' session using some learning game you have kept in your disposal since he/she can process information much easier when there's a physical or fun activity mixed into your study making a lasting impression in their memory, when your student is the serious type and easy to focus then make your material easier to understand and only provide detailed information when demanded or after he/she understand the 'gist' of it, there are many more takes on how you do this and everybody has different takes on how to teach but that's what i'm doing when i'm teaching somebody one on one and not in class.

13. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest using diagrams and pictures so that your student can visualize the concept instead of just trying to explain with words. Another good thing to keep in mind is making sure that you are not speeding through things and is going at a pace where your student understands each part you are explaining. Also, try to not feed too much information at a time and instead teach in small chunks while checking for understanding in between because they will only remember snippets if too much is taught at a time.

blues86, TokioftheBel, Naruin and 2 others like this.
  14. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't turn to hentai/doujin for reference...

Nightow1, Naruin and Lurking like this.
  15. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Scaffold. Figure out what is already known and check that foundation, then try to build on it by slowly adding more info in their learning.

If they cant repeat back what was taught in their own words, they might not understand and you should spend more time on that particular thing

Naruin and mir like this.
  16. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried to tutor a cousin in math once. The above is very true. What happened with me was, I tried to guide him and make him think but he refused to try. After asking a question and not getting an answer for awhile, I would walk him through the steps to reach the answer. But all he would do is say "oh so that's the answer!" mark it, and then ask me to show him the next problem, even though it needed the exact same steps (which I know he knew because I would say 'ok, now do the same thing we did for problem 1') he would not even try to solve it himself and wait for me to explain it again, and ignore everything but the answer. I think it wasn't being a brat as much as it was that he had decided that he was incapable of math and just wanted someone to give him answers so his teachers and mom wouldn't get on his case so much.

So yeah. No matter what you do, if the motivation to learn isn't there, you're doomed.

orematcha, blues86, Lurking and 2 others like this.
  17. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    .... im trying.. but im having trouble explaining those thing that are common sense to me.. _| ̄|○
    *sighs*
    math one...

sexy huh.. *smirks*
    image.jpeg
    handsome will do! +.+

*nods* *fix my glasses*

that must be one heck of a tiring tutorial session *smirks*

*imagines s n m tutorial session* (/.\)
    .... thank god my cousin 's quite mature already ^^"
    just.. she keeps forgetting what to do when the given problem is already slightly altered _| ̄|○ i guess.. patience is a very important one!! T^T

Lurking and Qiun like this.
  18. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    got it!! thanks!! *writes it down* any examples? or suggestions? it's about math..

*nod nod* true..
    <= a very good one! *proud*
    but... my cousin never says it when she cant understand something.. she just says she always got it already.. T^T

doin it already~ thank u!

ohhh! *notes it down*
    yah! i visit her a lot! thanks! o/
    ... negi-chan... i didnt have time to teach her slowly.. she didnt even got the basics down and i only have few days before her exam TT

.... very poor foundation.. *depress*
    she lacks so much and we just have few days left.. TT guess.. i shud just cram some important things to her first then slowly teach the foundation after her exam.. =.="

*nods* i keep asking if she didnt understand something but all she says is yes.. even though she doesnt...

Lurking likes this.
  20. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    true!! i need lots of it!! are u perhaps selling some!! T^T