LCD Magic Industry Empire

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Sep 28, 2019.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/magic-industry-empire/

C1: I really hope that it wasn't just the fact that he held the door open for her without knowing who she was.

C2: I wonder why he's settling for a fan and not going straight for air conditioning.

Also, if he's already got the air rotating and moving forward, then why would he even need the blades? Isn't that basically what the blades are supposed to do? Wouldn't he just need a tube to put the array in?

C3: If forging techniques suck, then why not use wood? It would have been cheaper, lighter and of a better quality in terms of its production.

What makes him think they wouldn't be able to understand it? A fan isn't exactly complicated once you remove the motor. Honestly, I'm pretty sure versions of it have existed for centuries at least.

C4: Ah, so it wasn't the fan that they wouldn't understand, but his alterations to the array.

I thought 2 gold coins was the cost of production? Why is he selling them at a loss? Did he find a way to produce them more cheaply? Or was that original 2 gold including all the wasted materials and whatnot and the actual cost of making one is much lower?

C5: Shouldn't all of his coworkers have been fairly well off? It's unlikely that poor people would have had the necessary qualifications to get the job after all.

That aside, I'm surprised he didn't just hire his classmates instead. I'm sure quite a few of them were lacking jobs and he should know which ones' work and work ethic he can trust. Doing that, he could have setup a proper factory that would run throughout the day. The only real problem would be quality control, but that should get significantly easier after the first week or so.

I wonder what this will do to the small magic crystal market.

C6: "Seeing this, Heinz knew that there was nothing he could say. " Sure there is. "Limit one per customer who didn't preorder. No exceptions." Tada. Problem solved. Alternatively, "We'll have another 500 next week, so even if you can't get it today, you can preorder it."

Honestly, 1k seems a bit light for a big customer. I sense a lack of commitment on his part ;)

C7: Why refuse outright? Why not just set a longer delivery time? It should be completely doable within 2-3 weeks if he takes this business seriously, and there will still be plenty of summer left by then.

C9: If he's going to turn down the position, then he should just quit. He's wasting his time working there. There's nothing it can give him that he can't just buy. And, after turning down the promotion so that he can pursue a line of research that Camilla would despise, expecting to have a good relationship with him is a bit of a pipe dream. Well, if we disregard his status as the protagonist.

Why hire those students? Why not hire his former classmates? Or were their standards too low?

C10: Where is the MC getting the money for all this? He's only got like 400 gold, right?

If he's so unhappy with the landlord, then why not leave immediately? He's got nothing invested yet. Now is the best time to nip this sort of problem in the bud. With that sort of attitude from the landlord, its very possible for him to try to steal the factory once its built.

C11: “10% stocks!" Is he stupid? He could have bought the slave for 40 gold, 50 tops. 10% of his company is worth thousands of gold, and giving it to a noble will make that noble think he has a controlling interest. Considering that the noble in question is lacking enough in moral fiber for this situation to occur, there's no reason to want them as a business partner. He might as well be gifting his business to this noble on a silver platter :/

He does realize that his taxes go to the viscount, right? The viscount will already have a stake in the business. If he wants more than that, he'll just raise the taxes, or seize the whole factory. This is why he shouldn't be building the factory here in the first place and should be looking for a more reliable landlord.

Also, how is he planning to get the factory built in time to make his preorders? Even with magic, it won't be fast. He doesn't have enough money to throw at the problem to change that reality. Or has he decided that the second batch of preorders aren't as important as the first batch and that they can wait a few weeks/months?

2. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, he can combine machinery with magic and he just make fan?
    Its like having photoshop and using it to make meme.
    He could make plane, gun, car and study what magic is but he make fan or if he wanted to sell he could have at least make a fridge.
    Golem, trap, floating place, robot, nanomachine, animatronic, infinite energy
    And who buy fan? Noble can buy slave to do it for them, poor can't buy them, is not that useful when it is not hot and only deplace hot air not cool it down.

3. sekach

sekach Outer Disciple

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't have materials, nor magic knowledge or money for smth more elaborate.

4. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Series looks good and from description sounds near like RTW and wish they had more chapters out and hope it's good.

5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It's almost like she's trying to start rumors about the two of them, or revive the ones that already existed I suppose.
    He lacked the resources to do all that fancy stuff. Plus, this world doesn't feel like one where patents are respected. If he wants to whip out the truly impressive stuff, then he's going to need the money and political power to protect himself and his inventions from greedy nobles and merchants who will simply steal his work, and possibly his life.

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    So, is slavery a thing everywhere, or just in this country? If the latter, then personally, I'd move to a new country before kicking off the magiteck revolution. No reason to let a bunch of heartless slavers benefit from such a thing. It'd only encourage them to go out and make more slaves.

Honestly, even if people have to buy a new fan every year, it'll still be so much cheaper than the only alternative that people will still regard it as a bargain. Plus, by the sound of it, it's not a terribly difficult problem to fix when they break. He can make some extra money charging people for repairs, or even just sell the parts and an instruction manual for anyone interested in doing it themselves.

As for the question of precision, why not use molds? As far as I know, that's what most factories do. Well, either that or stamps, but I doubt that would be practical for him. Or he could just not use metal. For what he's doing, other materials would work quite well, and metal should be pretty expensive in a pre-industrial society.

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well of course there have. Its not hard to make if you study the original, especially if you don't care so much about quality and you can get a hold of that teaching paper he gave to all his employees to explain the array. Though, even without the paper, a sufficiently talented mage could still copy the original after studying it for a bit. Considering how much money the fans are worth, it was only a matter of time until imitations appeared. This is why patents and copyrights are necessary for a society to advance technologically. Without them, inventors and innovators get crushed by people with more money and no scruples.

I expect that the MC will fight it by introducing the variable speed fan that requires the uncopyable bolt screw technology. They can't steal it if they don't steal the machine that makes the bolt screws, or pay the blacksmith to make them one. I wonder if the blacksmith will respect the MC's non-existent intellectual property rights and refuse to make the machine for others, and if so, why.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “Un, not made, it’s quite cool.” What?

"To want to explain the value of a brand to the people of this world was a bit advanced." Not really? It's a pretty simple concept. It's basically just reputation by another name. No one who does business doesn't understand the importance of reputation.

9. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “You’re old, you don’t need to understand." Well, that's insulting. You tell a lie and then blame the listeners advanced age for him not believing it? I thought you were trying to build good will here, not puff up your own ego by looking down on the plebs.

10. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not many are reply though not surprised.

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “It’s like this, then forget it." Or, better idea, you could invent the newspaper. There's a colossal amount of power and money to be had from controlling the media.

“What do you mean by strange requests?” He didn't say "strange" though?

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    “Honestly I don’t understand either" He's a noble. The importance of reputation and family crests are beaten into their bones from the day they're born. Its impossible that he wouldn't understand unless he was far stupider than this conversation is trying to make him out to be.

I hope the slave isn't being added to his harem. I'll be shocked if she's not, but I really just don't see the need for a pedophilic love interest.

madmanthan21 likes this.
  13. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Inconsistences, inconsistences...

Three hundred meters became longer than "less than two hundred kilometers" (Chapter 26 - "Steel alloy")...

Hint: a kilometer is a thousand ("kilo-") meters. A meter is something like 3 feet. 2 hundred meters = 0,2 kilometers. BTW, you can walk ~5 km an hour in favorable terrain.

14. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
  15. madmanthan21

madmanthan21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is being too nitpicky, it's clearly just an honest mistake, author clearly meant 300km.

Which considering modern highways/railways are 20% ish longer than straight line distance, so it would make sense that old roads are 50% longer.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  16. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    No nitpicking, some novels you clearly see the author or the translator throwing distances and time into the story without any care.

Most Chinese novels have flat worlds extending for hundreds of millions of kilometers. I'm okay with that, after all, it's fantasy. But I still think the author must make the fantasy self-consistent. When they build a map of the world you know they really put some effort. Now, if there's no world map, and the distances and time to travel them it feels like they are only a way to say "too far away" and "takes a long time to travel".

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  17. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel has a good settings, but man, it also has a mc and other actors which could only be as smart as author smart. And author has a big problem in that department.

madmanthan21 likes this.
  18. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/2826/a-heros-war
    This other novel has the same premise, industrializing a magic world, and in my opinion, is done better. That said, it's also done a little too quickly with how vast the effects are. Still, it's a very well written story by an author who's probably an engineer and a history buff. (Note: the story has 2 viewpoints. There's the summoned hero who is sent out on a quest and is not the MC. The MC is the engineering student who wakes up in a forest.)

19. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    With magic and all those unreasonable things?

20. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    The setting for A Hero's War (AHW) was more hazardous than Magic Industry Empire's (MIE), so the MC initially made simple weapons that non-magic users can use. After got into a city where his living conditions stabilized, he focused on the need for steel. The MC in MIE desires steel too, but the MC in AHW was obsessed about it. Everything he wanted to make needed a material stronger than iron. The MC in the story uses magic circles like software, whereas MIE's magic arrays gives me the impression that it's more like circuitry.

Cutter Masterson likes this.