Question Why is it hard to find good novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mr.verynice, Nov 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.verynice

Mr.verynice Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With Novel updates it should be easy, but it isn’t.

Let me explain, The ratings are shit.

they aren’t objective but subjective, let’s take Release That Witch for example it’s 4.5 stars, i went in reading Release That Witch and got a teaspoon of nationalism and a fistful of Mary Sue.

why.are.the.ratings.so.damn.high.on.ok.novels

when I see something that’s half a star away from 5 stars I want it to be godly good, I don’t want my protagonists to be Johnny sins, because all the roles these protagonists have is unrealistic, it feels like I’m reading a naruto fanfic.

Edit: Whatever I don’t care anymore.

One small question, what makes a good novel?

if everyone reviews novels based on their tastes then shouldn’t there not be any reviews/ratings but just comments? I’m gonna do it then

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    Because everyone's tastes differ so wildly?

Wujigege likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Every year, 50000 new books may be written and published.

Only 100 may sell well.

That is the law of the world.

There exist only so many good books.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Mr.verynice

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok poet

5. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because good novels don’t exist. They are a myth Tony uses to lure people to NU.

On a serious note they don’t exist because they’re written by someone that’s not you. You know what you like. Someone else will write a novel how they think it should be. It’s their idea, their plot and their way of writing.

You may like the novel but most likely not all of it. There will be parts that you might not agree with. And there will be parts you absolutely love. The parts you love someone else might hate. And that also explains the problems with ratings. It’s the way things are.

6. Mr.verynice

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t understand how anyone likes Johnny sins as a protagonist but then again that guy is rich

7. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because people mostly look for wish fulfillment in these novels and they get it.

Capsize likes this.
  8. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have the same problem. My filter out list has many novels that are highly rated. There are 8 I consider good, 27 I consider tolerable, and over 1000 that I don't want to see popping up in my search results or front page anymore.

9. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because the 5 star rating system is bad. Someone like me, for example, would only consider novels that are above 4 stars. But to get to that rating, most people would've had to rate it 5 stars since rating it 4 stars would actually make the overall rating lower. So that means if I liked a novel, I would've had to rate it 5 stars if I wanted to increase its overall rating even if I don't think it was topnotch. That's why I don't even rate novels anymore. Compared to that, on mangadex I read manga that are above 7.0. There's a lot more room for decent novels to be in compared to just being between 4 and 5.

10. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of the "better" novels are buried in the TL hiatus and dropped by author piles, sadly.

11. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make your reading list public maybe we can recommend some stuff to you

12. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    When the story is enjoyable, you want to rate it high. I'm one of them, when the story are enjoyable even its shit, i give high 5. Not perfect good novel, just enjoyable and doesnt make me iritate when read it. My rating thinking just simple as it is.

Not all people are elitist, and probably they are simple as me. And not mention people have different taste.

Try recommended list instead when you looking for a novel to read.

sithkazar and Capsize like this.
  13. Mr.verynice

Reading List:
    Link

Ok danke, I will try to use recommended lists more often

14. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... if you doubled 4 it would be a score of 8 and 3 would be 6 sooo....

But really though any rating system you have you will have ppl complain about it as unreliable. The biggest problem with any rating system is people being dishonest with their reviews, like you said not wanting to leave a review below 5. If the story deserves a 4 give it a 4. If everyone did this than when you see something with 3 stars you may go "ok this may not be the best story ever but should be ok." But that is not what happens, because so many people rate stories erroneously you see a 3 star story and think "well that story will suck no reason to try that."

15. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should just take your time to read revelent reviews and not focus on the rating. Any novels below 4 star is most likely pretty shit that said.
    By revelent reviews i mean :
    -Someone who read more than 20 chapters, some story take time to take off.
    -Someone who read up to the last chapter could warn you that the story become shit at some point, be sure to look at them.
    -Where someone list the pros and cons
    -More than 3 lines
    -Review ranging between 2 and 4 are usually the most interessing ones

This way, you'll know what is the weak point of the novel, and its strength. For example, someone might rate poorly because of shit romance, while you don't really care about this point.

16. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok Boomer

17. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind that ratings and reviews also depend on the exposure of the reader. A reader encountering webnovel cliches for the first time may think it's all very exciting and interesting. It's only after they've read 10 or more novels with the exact same stuff that they realise how cliche they are. So that can explain why some people rate things higher than you would expect.

mir likes this.
  18. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    For me i have permanently blocked the Ratings & Reviews via Ublock Origin (element picker mode) :blobsalute:

#YOLO :aww:

mir likes this.
  19. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :) I agree the best review normally are the ones that are between 2 and 4. I normally just straight up skip the 5 star reviews.

20. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I've noticed with reviews as well. It's either a) filled with the personal feelings of the reader to the story or b) incredibly in-depth analysis of the story to the extent they consider about different factors eg world building, plot developement, character growth, etc.

I feel like what would really help is a filter to separate out these two types of comments, subjectives and objectives but eh. what would I know, at this point I only read the reviews for spoilers from MTL-ers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.