Discussion Knight versus Bear

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Silver Snake, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you think a fight would go down between a knight in full plate armor with a longsword versus a brown bear?

lychee likes this.
  2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Brown Bear

0000000 and Silver Snake like this.
  3. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the knight can kill the bear in one hit he will win if not the he will be killed in 2 hits the first stuns him the second finishes him.

4. foodflare

foodflare Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a question of the matchup in reality, and the knight has agitated a bear enough to come into conflict, much more often than not(think somewhere in the 99% of the time) the bear will absolutely destroy the knight. On the other hand, in fantasy(e.g. books/movies/etc) many times the knight will win.

5. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    In real life bear would probably pummel that poor tin can of a knight until he can't move then it will lose interest and go away.

0000000, Silver Snake and sekach like this.
  6. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well full plate armor might protect from getting clawed but you'd still be getting the full brunt of a bear swipe, I imagine would be like rolling down a hill in a steel drum. Not sure if the armor can stand up to the bite force. I don't feel like googling plate durability and bear attack stats and am not smart enough to math it out anyway.

The knight needs to get a good lunge into a vital on the first bout or it's going to be a long fight, if they fail but can keep hold of their sword they can probably kill the bear and survive.

Ai chan and Silver Snake like this.
  7. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, it's not the sharpness of the claws you'd have to watch out for, it's the sheer force and weight behind each of the blows. Bears can weight over a few hundred kilos, so each blow is HEAVY. Armour can't protect you from that.

mir, Silver Snake and Green Apple like this.
  8. Green Apple

Reading List:
    Link
    It is hard to do a good lunge with a sword. Even if it is a longsword - the reach of the weapon is rather small. How to grip a sword for a powerfull lunge is also a question. You can hold it steadily by gripping the edge - but then the effective attack range gets even smaller. The long sword might have enough space on the handle to put both hands at it, to maximise the reach, but the thrust will likely be deflected by the fur. A spear is a much better choice of a weapon for a lunge.

For a sword I think the only chance is to have extraordinary agility and dodge around until bear somehow shows it's neck and you can cut its throat without getting killed.

Also now that I think of it. If you have very good endurance and can continuously dodge bears attacks, you can wait until the bear is exhausted and you will have more chances. Though in real life I'd rather run down the hill from it xD

Silver Snake likes this.
  9. anormrobot

anormrobot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the bear. If the brown bear was a cub the knight would simply win 100%. If it was a fully grown bear it be 60 to 40 for the bear. The armor is a hinder when one swing sends you flying. If it was a little girl who had a bear costume and bear puppets as hands and feet, the bear would win.:blobangel:

Archimedes, S4TY4 and Silver Snake like this.
  10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which she already did, minus the bear costume & feet :D:D:D

Silver Snake likes this.
  11. Green Apple

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm::notlikeblob:

Silver Snake likes this.
  12. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    Brown Bear chose scratch!
    Scratch is Super Effective!
    Knight has been stunned!
    Knight lost 99999HP!
    Knight rolled down the hill!
    Knight lamented his weakness!
    Knight died.

-the adventure log has been deleted-
    :blobmelt:

Silver Snake likes this.
  13. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Erm... canned food? :D

mir, userunfriendly and Silver Snake like this.
  14. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On a serious note... depends on the size of the brown bear. If it's a "smaller" sized subspecies (~160 Kg), the knight might stand chance. If it's the largest subspecies, the Kodiak (300 Kg ~ 600 Kg), the bear will flatten the knight, armor or no armor.
    (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodiak_bear)

mir and Silver Snake like this.
  15. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    longsword is a terrible weapon against a bear
    you best melee weapon to fight a bear are
    1- compound polearms ( with the halberd being the best option) keep the bear at distance with trust from spear component and use the axe blade to deal damage
    2- Spear best way to control the bear , but you will have difficulty dealing final blow so prepare fo a attrition battle or for the bear to give up

for axes and maces with no shield you probably will only have one opporunity to kill while he is charging at you so aim for the head and see if you are lucky enough to break his skull

for sword, you won't deal a lot of damage unless you hit a vital part (neck, groin, etc) with a full power attack so my advice grab the blade part and use the pommel as a mace (this is half swording) see mace for more detail on your experience

dagger- time to put you sneak skills to the test, use smokescree to get out of his sight, maneuvre to his back and hope that te bonus from sneak attack/ backsta is enough to oneshot the bear

notes on armor, lose it, although it may prevent cuts from claws or bites , the probelm with getting hit by his paws will be the impact that knocks you down and the control of the bite in your arm, so it is better to be slighty lighter and avoid or get you arm snap off than to be controlled by the bear

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    asriu, MoJo, Ai chan and 3 others like this.
  16. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh inner medieval nerd, please feast your eyes upon this worhy sacrifice and awaken, awaken from your deep slumber in the ancient darkness...

*cracks knuckles* Ok so there's actually a statue somewhere of a guy who killed a grizzly with a knife. The bear was starved, but he still did it, so the knight has a chance. If the knight can hit the bear when it charges in, it's probably a win. Otherwise my money is on the bear.

First of all it would suck to fight a bear in full plate armor. A swipe would cause blunt trauma which plate armor doesn't protect against as much as cuts (there are to my knowledge no armor that protects well against blunt damage). But if the armor is dented in, it would be painful to fight in. Something like a gambeson might be better.
    As for longswords, as far as I know they're not designed to cut, but to crush and dent in armor and to crush human bones. Not sure how well that would work against a bear. Something like a battle axe, or perhaps a sharp and easily maneuvered short sword? Or a longer weapon like a spear, which is what hunters here used to fight bears in close combat. I can see that working much better, unless the knight manage to land that first initial blow.

mir, asriu, Ai chan and 2 others like this.
  17. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    there is no single armour but using a gambeson inside plate armour can mitigate damage but yah against the bear armour is useless any imapct would make lose your footing at the very least leading you to your death so the minimum you can do is spare the bear the effort of opening you like a can of sardine

Ai chan and Silver Snake like this.
  18. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If the knight is skillful enough to thrust his longsword into the bear's head as it charges at him and the longsword manages to penetrate the bear's skull without breaking, he'll probably survive with bruises and a few broken bones. :hmm: Otherwise, he's dead. :blobwoah:

Silver Snake likes this.
  19. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Try reading Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear vol 9 (o/a ch 267-278)

Silver Snake likes this.
  20. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Longswords are quite sharp. And long. Its def heavy enough to cause a mortal wound to the bear. And the plate would help against the blunt trauma much more than a gambeson or similar would since the plate distributes the force more evenly. The question is not whether the bear dies or not, cause it will die one way (instant) or the other (blood loss and festering wounds). The question is whether it causes mortal wounds to the knight before it kicks the bucket.

Silver Snake likes this.