[Poll] You are a dragon egg...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Nov 29, 2019.

?

Will you telepathically contact anyone to ask for help?

1. I'm male - I will contact the Farmer

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. I'm male - I will contact the Farmer's Wife

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. I'm male - I will contact the Eldest Son

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I'm male - I will contact the Middle Daughter

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. I'm male - I will contact the Youngest Son

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. I'm male - I would keep waiting for someone better, even if it is risky

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. I'm male - I would keep waiting and hope I'm not discovered

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. I'm male - I'm unsure

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. I'm female - I will contact the Farmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'm female - I will contact the Farmer's Wife

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm female - I will contact the Eldest Son

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. I'm female - I will contact the Middle Daughter

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  13. I'm female - I will contact the Youngest Son

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  14. I'm female - I would keep waiting for someone better, even if it is risky

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  15. I'm female - I would keep waiting and hope I'm not discovered

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  16. I'm female - I'm unsure

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  17. I do not wish to respond

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone seems weary of the girl, but reading the description she seems less sadistic and more pyro. If that's the case she's the best choice if you need to stay warm. after all, if she is regularly setting fires are they going to look twice when she sets one. Personally from the descriptions the 2 least safe options, other than the farmer, are the wife and the oldest son. If he is that punctual then he isn't going to take in an egg that may cause problems.

1) I would wait and observe for more than a couple days before contacting anyone. I would wait a couple weeks until I tried anything concrete. Before that the most I would do is throw a comment to each person to see how they react.
    2) Depends on which one I contacted if any.
    3) Part of the reason that I would hold off on contacting them. I need to see more of what they are like to formulate a plan.
    Based on what I know of them
    Farmer: HELL NO.
    Wife is the lowest priority of contact.
    Oldest: Maybe that he could be free.
    Daughter: You can burn everything with my help.
    Child: A life of adventure and heroism.
    4) Not much I can do. I'm just an egg and can't do anything.
    5) Depends on how things were going.
    6) Just passively watching? Not very well. You need to have some sort of interaction before you can see anything beyond the surface.

Pyoo and lychee like this.
  2. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    i think id try to convince the youngest son into hiding me in a safe place, im sure he can be educated into a good person

3. RabdomPersona

RabdomPersona Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Will you telepathically contact anyone? Why did you choose the person that you did?
    The youngest boy. Of course I’m not going to choose the man, nor the wife. She might’ve been brainwashed or become extremely attached to the husband. The eldest son seems loyal and I also doubt he’d want to get in trouble, hence he’d probably tell the father. Of course, the daughter is like her father so that’s obviously a no. Plus, with the youngest son, even if he accidentally says something, they might think he’s making it up for attention.

2. What will you say?

“Hello young sir, I’m magical animal who is in need of a hero’s help. You see, only the bravest and strongest heartfelt person can come to my aid, and you young sir, fit that category perfectly. Come, help me out and prove to me you are the hero I need!”

3. Suppose the person you contact refuses to help you unless you offer them something. How will you negotiate with them?

I suppose I would bribe him? Children like getting things and being praised so I’d just tell him the if he helps, great things will come his way and he’ll become rich lol

4. Suppose the person you pick threatens to take you to be magically brainwashed or sold for 1 million gold coins. Can you get them to change their minds?
    Perhaps. I’d tell them that my scales would be much more worth than a petty 1 million gold. I’d also tell him that I know where a cave of riches is.

5. Suppose that you end up being carried around by one of the kids. Two years later, you encounter one of the kid's friends who genuinely seems like a better person than your kid. Will you try to contact the other person to steal you and run away?
    No. If it’s been two years, I’d most likely be safe until I hatch. Plus what if my judgement is wrong? What if the friend is actually worse than my kid. Even if they’re not, what if they’re a bad at lying and slip up.

6. How well can you judge a person just from watching them?
    Ah, I don’t know, fairly well? Just depends. If I’m constantly watching them then I think I would get the gist of their personality. Like, if they share stuff, don’t torture animals, most of the time don’t act creepy, then I think they’d be okay. Depends though. I guess I’d have to be in that situation to see.

lychee likes this.
  4. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Will you telepathically contact anyone? Why did you choose the person that you did?
    I want to keep waiting... But it would utterly suck if the farmer discovered me. So if I was super duper desperate, I'd contact the daughter, if only for the reasons I find her the most trustable to keep my existence under wraps.

The wife is likely under the father's thumb. If he turns his sadistic tendencies towards her, then even moreso. She is the closest to the farmer so staying with her would be like constantly being in danger. I will hatch prematurely because of stress ;u; Plus she is too much of a wild card, I know too little of her to even want to try anything.

The eldest son seems like he has some sort of OCD. If that's the case, then I'm scared if he discovers me, he might be the only trying to mind-break me in the first place. He seems like the super logical-rational type who would calculate the benefits and demerits. I may be discarded without a second thought... And I'm not confident I can make him see I'll be useful to him either.

The youngest seems like an easy target, but he is a braggart who likes showing off. He is also a bit dumb. Meaning even if I had the heart to try and manipulate him, I can't trust that he won't be manipulated by others into revealing information about me. And if I do ultimately have to serve the person I pick in the future, I don't want to serve under an idiot no offense;;; And if he's temperamental and I piss him off by accident, I'm scared he'll betray me at the drop of a hat.

The daughter is... Scary. But she keeps silent and to herself. If she likes burning ant hills and dissecting things, I doubt she'd be much satisfied with crushing an egg, and I can't think of much ways to torture an egg? Especially a dragon's egg? Am I fire resistant? I can die from not being warm for sure, and being crushed I guess. Her personality is still a mystery, but she keeps to herself at least. I feel somewhat reassured she won't go off running her mouth for any old reason.

I'll hatch in 5 years, I might be able to make a bond with her so she won't want to hurt me. Or I can try saving her from becoming like her dad in the first place. She is the only female in a family of males and her mom seems like either a doormat or her father's supporter. There's no guarantee the daughter isn't under the dad's thumb either but that type of man, I don't believe he can be a decent father! :mad:

2. What will you say?
    So I am by no means articulate, but... Well, I'll try a slow and steady approach. Try to probe her for a while before asking her for help. If she doesn't seem totally horrible then I'll ask her, if she's gone beyond what I imagined then I'll just try to conclude these telepathic conversations as her going crazy (tho idk how well that'll work lol). I'll probably fib my real species unless she confronts me directly ;_;

3. Suppose the person you contact refuses to help you unless you offer them something. How will you negotiate with them?
    ...friendship? Lol
    Like srsly tho, i have nothing of worth... Depends on what I've observed from my previous conversations with the girl.

4. Suppose the person you pick threatens to take you to be magically brainwashed or sold for 1 million gold coins. Can you get them to change their minds?
    Urgh, no. But my hope is she will appreciate how my fate is utterly under her control, and want to keep me for that at least. At this point I'm really just trying to desperately delay my death, so even if she does that I can only surrender myself to what she decides.

5. Suppose that you end up being carried around by one of the kids. Two years later, you encounter one of the kid's friends who genuinely seems like a better person than your kid. Will you try to contact the other person to steal you and run away?
    ...if I'm having a really hard time then maybe. But loyalty is one of my best traits, especially towards those who I believe deserve it. If I haven't been able to develop even a shred of good will towards her then I'll try asking for help.

I don't know. Not well, probably. I'm not skilled in socializing :blobflag:

lychee likes this.
  5. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd talk to the farmer. First off the entire family is a mixed bag of absurdity and while each of the other options seems more viable in some way ... few of them show the same degree of flaw as the farmer. Basically I think that they are to some degree masking their own warped mentalities, and if they've seen what the farmer does and have no reaction to it they have their own issues. The farmer isn't. Beyond that, good, bad or otherwise he does provide for his family and does it well.

What I would do would vary massively depending on how initial contact went. I might manipulate the youngest into placing a regular chicken egg or large egg shaped stone into another location and then when I contact the farmer with the truth lie about where I am and see how he behaves towards my supposed vulnerable self. If it goes well I'll open a better dialogue, if it goes poorly I might try and frame it as the prank of the youngest.

As an egg I would be pretty useless there isn't much I could do. However, the farmer is getting older and by the time I hatch he will be older still. So I would play on two things. If he genuinely enjoys torture I would play up how much being clawed by a dragon hurts or how finely and precisely I can cut someone with my claws (death of a thousands cuts style) once I hatch but only if I'm a whole and unenslaved. I would show genuine derision for the so called dragon knights that ride on the backs of neutered lizards. The idea with this thread is to convince him that I'm an implement of torture he'll be able to direct once I hatch and that what I can do to something or someone will exceed his wildest imagination. Going back to the age thing, this is a medieval world supposedly do you have any idea the amount of comforts and convenience an intelligent fire breathing dragon could provide to an aging individual. Think about the amount of wood to burn, or in winter the lack of heat and meat. There is also the matter of how his aging will effect his ability to engage in his hobbies.

I don't think convincing a farmer that the worth of intelligent and independent creature acting on your will will vastly outstrip the usefulness of a brain dead beast of burden. His son is essentially the perfect example of how something smart compares to say a horse. A horse may help plow or transport but you need to direct it, his son takes care of things without the need to micromanage. Furthermore as a farmer with chickens how could he not understand that the value of a creature isn't so simple. Take hens for example. You could consider the value to be simply the price of the bird but if it's an egg laying hen you might see more profit or return from collecting the eggs then you would ever be able to get from the meat alone.

This is the N/A question but supposing I had chosen a kid I wouldn't. Mainly because I think it's kind of dumb to trust anyone who would consider stealing from one of their friends. They are literally thinking about betraying someone in order to get you, why would it be safe to assume they wouldn't betray you as well.

... You know how you always hear people that were neighbors with serial killers say that they were so nice, or quiet. Or how some of them use charm to lure their victims in. I think that most people in general just straight up suck at observing people closely enough to be good judges of character. I think I'm generally better at it than most ... but even then it can take months or years to get a decent understanding of a person, when you can interact with them. When you can't ... IF it's possible at all, it would take much longer.

lychee likes this.
  6. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    The youngest boy, because even he tell other no one will believe it because they think is prank

2. What will you say?

"Hello young hero, are you want do quest of richees and honnor? Of course I joking, will you became next god of joke? I will train you how to get everyone attention."

Well I child like attention and praise, I will told him a future fate and let him chose a poll
    "That must be a joke? At last I will sold for 1 billion and did you think they will pay you? Like hell, they will chew you head then throw your corpse and keep money for them self, even if they pay how did you deal with bandit and thug? Smash them with hoe? I can offers you alternative, an island filled with diamond and gold.. place that can only reached by my guide... But if you think that just troublesome just sold me, I don't care"
    In fact I hope they eat my bullshit.

Well it's pain in as to start at zero so nope.... But I will keep him as backup
    With my current body, 80% I will gasp they personality in one week constant contact.

BTW @lychee you seem took liking on dragon right now

lychee likes this.
  7. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably the mischievous kid, who I would try to swear to secrecy...trick him since he's a little dumb and promise to become his partnet in crime.

2. What will you say?
    Pssst...hey, you. Yeah you. Wanna pull the biggest prank ever? First you'll have to help me though...but you can't tell anyone or else the prank won't work.

Be a dragon companion? OvO? Promise loyalty? Be their mount?

I can certainly try...

No, unless the kid I am with is sadistic.and crazy and wants to burn everything.

I look at actions, words, and tone. If that doesn't work...ah well. I usually can judge a good person from a bad one..

lychee likes this.
  8. AZ09XO

AZ09XO Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How are you sure that there is a hot spring nearby? Are you even sure there is even anything remotely warm other than their dead bodies after you're done with the humans?

9. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a seriously annoying long term plan to carry out. I might just snap in the middle if this wasn't for my survival.

1. Okay, the farmer, daughter, and wife are definitely out. Sadistic tendencies are not good for my continued well being and the wife will likely choose to stand by her husband. The eldest son seems like a responsible young man so he will be just that. A responsible young man. Instead of taking the risk of raising a dragon, he'll sell me for the instant cash. I won't even get a chance to feed into his ego at being a dragon master.
    I would choose the youngest. While it is worrying how much of a braggart the youngest is, it fits given his background. He is neglected because he is the youngest and least useful. Not the heir, just the spare. It would be easy to feed into his desire to be special and give him the love he lacks. Then, I would need to drive in the fear of losing me or letting others know because he would lose everything he ever wanted. Children are malleable so if I play my cards right, I can get a long term ally even as an adult dragon. Besides, dumb children are cuter. If I need him to be smart, it can be taught.

2. “I'm so lonely. Can anyone hear me?” The child will respond to me. I will praise him and emphasize how special he is. In future conversations, I would listen to his antics showing care when his parents do not until he trusts all his secrets to me. While saying “Amazing! I wish I could do that...” or similar words, I hint at my weakness and his superiority. Then, when he can't go a day without talking to me I say “I'm sorry. I can no longer talk with you like this.” When he asks why I mention how I am going to die because I can not find a warm place to live but I truly “Do not want to leave you”. The boy will offer a place to shelter me which I will accept. Then I will tell the boy “If anyone finds out about me they will take me away from you”. Judging from the boy's response I would add something that feeds into his worst fears like how people want to replace him as my owner or they do not want me to stay with you. Making this about him.

3. That's easy enough. Children are often interested in magic and heroes. I will tell him a story of grandeur and the legendary magic the hero used. I will act reluctant to teach him “but I suppose it's okay if it's you”. Then to motivate him to conceal me I would say that if others know they will try to steal this magic for themselves and I would no longer be able to teach him. There's no way I will teach this child a spell without a fatal weakness but it would be good if this child can distinguish himself as a genius. It'll give him useful status in human society, status I can use to protect myself. Maybe some form of draconian magic that “befriends” creatures, giving him a reason for having a non-lobotomized dragom by his side. I would feed into his selfishness to prevent him from giving others dragon secrets but it would be good to lie to him and say I can not remember anything else. Dragons gain their magic as they age. Not a complete lie but not the truth either.

4. I won't let it get to this point but if it does, I should consider ways to get rid of him when he goes too far. Since he is using this threat instead of immediately selling me, there is something he wants. I will “reward” him for saving me as he wishes but whether it's truly a reward we would have to see with time. As a dragon, I have plenty of time.
    [​IMG]

5. No, a good person can't be judged so easily. To be good for me they would have to go against everything their society tells them. Impossible. Besides, a decent human can't do all the dirty things a selfish person who wants me for themselves can do. It would ruin all my efforts with the boy.

6. At most I can get their basic personality and a hint at their failings. That's why a simplistic child would be the easiest to use. Humans are complicated creatures. Even after years of knowing someone, no one can say they know everything about them.

If I choose the boy somehow it feels like the daughter will be the most dangerous villain. She seems perfectly normal if I didn't know what she does in her private time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    lychee likes this.
  10. arashi-chan12

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody's choosing the kid, but am I the only one who thinks he's the most volatile? Kids can be some of the most intuitive and cruel ones out there, simply because they don't know better and others let their guard down around them. Who knows? He might just be waiting for a fish to fall in his trap so he can pull the biggest prank of them all D:

lychee likes this.
  11. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dragon powers made it happen. Duh.

Maybe in the world you reincarnated into, there is no hot springs. But in mine there is.

If the whole thing is an exercise in imagination, I would be a fool not to exercise mine to give me options.

And then while I'm chilling at the hot springs, waiting to get out of my egg, I can read the human's minds and start learning about the immediate area.

AZ09XO likes this.
  12. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd go for either the young boy or the eldest son.

The younger brother because while he is more of a gamble it's unlikely that anyone would believe him given his reputation, plus if I offer the right things he could be pretty easy to bribe.

The eldest brother would be the safer option if I get the feeling he's nothing like his father since his everyday routine would make it difficult for anyone to catch suspicious.
    2. What will you say?
    "Hey, uh, hey, can you hear me? I've been watching you so far so I've been wondering- h-hey back off a little! I'm not ready to show myself!"
    Younger Brother-
    "You seem pretty bored around here, right? I'm not about that life either. Maaaaaaaaybe we could do something for each other here? You wanna go on an adventure and the perfect mount just so happened to fall into your lap. S-sure it's kinda weird since we can speak to each other but it's not every day when an adventure just walks up to you and asks! Eh? Use my telepathy to help you herd the livestock?"

The Elder Brother-
    "T-think about things in the long term right? You won't ever have to worry about getting cold for the winter or protecting the livestock or hunting or fishing or- Oh! I'm pretty good with animals even if I'm in egg form right now."
    "H-hey don't be like that! If it's come to that I'll have to make my birth every bit as explosive as my conception- h-huh? what's with that look? It's nature alright? Besides you either give me a safe environment or you end up with my ashes and very exploded barn. Oh, and don't even think of shipping me away now, I have no qualms of biting off my own head to escape such a fate."
    "Oh hey they look nice! Let them in on it? I'm already taking a gamble with you so I'd rather keep this hush-hush mmkay? Remember: explody"
    I'd say pretty well given enough time. Assuming it's these people individually you can have a really good approximation of someone just by understanding what they're like when they're alone.

lychee likes this.
  13. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    xD I'm also in the middle child faction :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

She doesn't seem like that bad of a sadist! :blobtriumph:

I'd rather take a big risk at the beginning than the youngest son who is sort of like an increasing risk as time goes.

arashi-chan12 likes this.
  14. SilverCrow63

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a clever idea. Instead of will share maybe you could say “I am willing to give you my mother's hoard but...”. Describe the dazzling contents, enough to entice a simple farmer boy's greed but say that you are too weak to access it now. He would only need to wait five years and he can get more money than he ever could from selling you. It's quite despicable but it works.
    Good analysis! That's a good point, it's hard to torture an egg. To me, the daughter seems like a wildcard. She can be safe or insane or way too intelligent for your safety. Personally, I think dissecting things at a young age is already a bad sign of a serial killer. She also seems like she'll be good at hiding her flaws given how differently she behaves in front of her family. In front of them she acts like she does not exist. I also doubt her mother would approve of a future bride acting the way she does. She might be good at concealing her true self so she's harder to manipulate.
    That's interesting! Appealing to his sadism and using a decoy. Dangerous but if it works there is greater stability to this plan. It might not be good to seem too smart. Smart but not as clever as the great farmer because “beasts are lesser than the great humans”.

I liked that dialogue. XD Although, it might be suspicious if the eldest son were to suddenly break his punctual routine.

lychee likes this.
  15. SilverCrow63

Reading List:
    Link
    Because he seems like he has the most weaknesses. The most things he wants. He's sloppy with chores so his schedule is the most flexible. He brags, pranks his family, and makes a fuss because he is the youngest and the least cared for. He wants their attention, their love but he fails. A place you can easily slide into. A dumb child is easier to control than a risky variable that can see when you are not being useful enough. As a child, he will have less contact with the general world even if he did plan to sell me. Besides, if he brags, he exaggerates and would build up a reputation for himseld as a liar. Even if he does slip, very few would believe his tale. Dragons are very very rare. As long as his mistake is remedied quickly, it would not be hard brush over it as a bird's egg or a child's prank. You can even tell him that keeoing you secret is a great long term prank.

Growing up in this family, I doubt any of them lacks the families' cruelty. Someone who is the least affected by the family with the least contact with the rest is the easiest to use.

To be honest, this child reminds me a lot of Naruto. Was he the inspiration for this kid?

lychee likes this.
  16. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I would choose between the Youngest Son and the Middle Daughter, either both or something.

I would probably entice the youngest son about being a Dragon Knight, helping the poor, and becoming a Hero as children have always wanted whilst I don't know what I would offer to the Middle Daughter. I will ask her on what she wants, work it out and flesh it out, and then agree to it. Though I would take a big risk if the Youngest Son reveals it to anyone and I would just ask him to keep it a secret after that I would ask him to hide me someplace in their house and wait to get hatched.

lychee likes this.
  17. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really! I just wanted three wildly different personalities, so a bratty kid is sort of classic.

...That said, I’ve known a lot of bratty kids. :blobsweat_2:

My personal reservation about bratty kids is that most of them grow out of it. It’s just a phase.

SilverCrow63 likes this.
  18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, because would a person really want to know how corrupt my mind is?

19. arashi-chan12

Reading List:
    Link
    That's assuming he is the least cared for (i mean this whole poll is based off of assumptions but still).

He seems to be the most emotional of them too, I feel like it's dangerous. Like if you press him in just the wrong way, he could blow up. Weaknesses are great to take advantage of, but that just makes him seem all the less stable to me... :blobsweat_2:

Kids lack the experience to know when too far is too far, and parents must teach them morals for them to know right from wrong. But with their parents being like that...

Kids are the most impressionable when they're young. The boy is younger than high school age at least, so less than 15? Doesn't seem like he's attending school yet if he's outside playing that much? So he might be even younger. His world might still be just limited to his family and the farm.

I made my bet more on the chance that the girl has experienced enough of the outside world to develop her own opinions, and on the fact that she is a girl.

This is a fantasy middle ages setting. We don't know if the couple maintains a harmonious relationship, but it's obvious who wears the pants in the relationship. If this is a male dominated society, then women must be suppressed. It feels plausible because of the meek(?) nature of the two ladies of the house. Not to mention this is a farmer's house. Women are not as physically capable, so they could be seen as less necessary. Besides, having a daughter is like spilled milk: she is fated to marry off into someone else's house. (Also a plus cuz I can get away from that crazy family.)

Overall, she is not worth much to her family.

Yes, the oldest son is most likely going to inherit the farm. But what happens if he dies or is unable to inherit for whatever reason? The daughter might be the next eldest but they have another son. Wouldn't he inherit it instead? Because they have another in line, the daughters worth has gone considerably down. Plus they are just farmers so it's not like they need to do any political marriages or anything. The daughter just becomes an extra mouth to feed. They seem well enough now, but if famine strikes I bet the girl would be the first to be cast out.

If even we can see he's annoying over the span of a few days, his family must think he's even more annoying since they're the ones at the receiving end... (Annoying siblings are a pain but u can't win against them... :blobdead:)

But they put up with his pranks. He gets free reign over the farm to play as he likes. He slacks but are there any serious repercussions? We can't know for sure. He still has enough self esteem and confidence to be a braggart too.

TL;DR Why wouldn't they take good care of him? The second son is their fall back.

At the very least, I don't think he is being mistreated. Maybe just attention hungry in general. :hmm:

SilverCrow63 likes this.
  20. SilverCrow63

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. I did assume he was the least cared for because he was the spare and left to his own devices. I also assumed he was vulnerable because he brags alot, jokes often even though no one cares for his jokes, and pranks his family. That's attention seeking behavior. If he felt comfortable and reassured he was loved, he wouldn't use these methods. He seems lonely.

How should I say this? Hmm... I don't think they mistreat him just that he isn't their main concern and is neglected for more important things. It's easy to take advantage of that vulnerability but it does make sense that he would need to be somewhat stable to be useful. I was thinking, even if he does blow up, as a child he will bounce back quick with apologies and flattery. It's much easier than dealing with an adult blow up where they hide their resentment and plot against you. I was also thinking that since they don't care about his actions, it is easy for him to move around. Since his family finds him annoying, they won't seek him out in their free time, leaving him lonely and vulnerable. Because he lacks contact with the outside world, you can mold his ideology to follow your own with the stories you tell him and conversations with him. If you can convince him that his family is wrong and that it would be better to listen to you, this thought process will be ingrained in him as he grows up. There's no need to hope he grows up well like this. He has the greatest possibility of change and long term potential.

I think braggarts have low self esteem. If he was confident, he would have no need to brag because they know that another's opinion would not change how he feels. The boy constantly brags because deep down he is insecure and looking for acceptance. The only way he knows he can get attention is by bragging and pulling off pranks because even though they may be angry or annoyed at least they are looking at him.

In long term, that's exactly why the boy is more stable than the daughter. While it is easy to use her status as a woman to convince her to keep you to give her power, truthfully even with you she is powerless. It is easy for a daughter to be married away or forced to obey. She won't have as many chances to sneak away and take care of you as the boy. Plus, once she grows older she will inevitably be married off and expected to obey her husband. There is no guarantee she will take you or that her new home is better or has room for you at all. If she does get thrown out you are as good as dead. There is no way she won't sell you for the instant cash to live well. Going back to empowering her, you can grant her magic but she would need to go against her entire society to use it, being discriminated against as she tries to climb up ranks. With the boy it is easier. He is male and the second son. He isn't expected to stay on the farm so he can travel to safer places for you later on. If he joins the military with you as his tamed mount, he can quickly climb up ranks as a male. Where the girl would be called a witch, he would be praised as a genius. It's unfair but likely true in this middle ages setting. If he builds up his status in human society but still needs you, it would only give you more options in this dangerous world after you reach adulthood.

Tl;dr You make very good points but I think the boy has greater long term potential than the girl.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    arashi-chan12 likes this.