Would you say that test don’t define you??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gandire Alea, Dec 8, 2019.

?

Should tests define you??

Poll closed Dec 29, 2019.
  1. Wait! You’re talking about a medical license exam!? You should have opened with that!!

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. It’ll work out as long as you have the right attitude.

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. You say right attitude, but you just spend your time reading manga and playing video games....

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a poll, and just like the title says, looks to inquire about your thoughts about testing~
    Do you think a test should define you or not??

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobuwu:blobmelt_thumbs:blobuwu:

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Most probably not :blob_tilt:

4. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    So, your doctor failed med school. You trust him to preform surgery on you??

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tests do define me; blood tests have determined that I am an A+ grader. :blobpeek:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    An Anime Addict likes this.
  6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    yes test should define you, but current testing method only test what you should knowinstead of testing your breaking point
    instead of testing your limited knowledge during a limited amount of time, they should put in a room doing an infinite test until you can't answer new knowledge into it or you break from exhaustion, then you could create a true meritocracy

imK and Meloman like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    How did this doctor become my doctor, no, how did he/she became a doctor :hmm:

8. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause you live in a world were tests don’t define you. Therefore, a lot of people have become doctors. The place you live only has those who failed cause those who passed are privately owned.

9. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it is not like each doctor is a good doctor and many patients are paying the price all around the world :hmm:

Meloman likes this.
  10. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i guess it does define me in that particular field that's being tested

11. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    what do you mean for "define you", as a person or a career?.....if the first the answer is no, if it's the second then yes....

mir and Diametric like this.
  12. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Which part of med school did he fail in ?

13. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, but if not for the policy, then you wouldn’t have to worry if the doctor know the difference between you appendix or kidney~

At least, you can be sure that the doctor knows how to use anesthetics. That said, the body can only take so much knock out gas before it becomes fatal...

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  14. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Oddly it's been a long time since I've seen a doctor, even the last time I went I o ly saw the nurse *shrug*

On a sidenote I hear a lot of doctors are switching to videoconferencing their appointments. Seems like a smart idea, less chance they catch whatever the patent has. Though does make it even more impersonal.

Meloman likes this.
  15. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    The part about important medical knowledge, how to use the equipment, and general things that need to be memorized. The papers he wrote were all super grammatically correct though~:blobokhand:

I don’t think most people specify that when they say test don’t define them :hmm:

16. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't define you as a person but they do define your skill and knowledge on the said field of study

imK, Tofu Cat and KizunaAi like this.
  17. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Define:
    -to describe clearly and exactly what something is
    -to explain the meaning of a word
    -to be a feature or quality that shows exactly what someone or something is like

so the meaning of the word depend from the context, if you ask like the question you made then is too vague to answer.....what kind of test we are talking about? psychological? medical? education? since you didn't specify i can only say it's doesn't define me(test are also made by human for humans so they can also be imperfect)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    imK and mir like this.
  18. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously not. No one test could adequately cover all of the factors that would make up a person. A test cannot define you, it will only define one specific aspect about you during one specific moment of your life. Even a series of tests would only test one general aspect of a person and even then there are many variables we must consider including types of tests, validity, whether the person answered it correctly, honestly, and with full effort. Ideally, tests would be combined with mentor-ships, interviews, and internships where not only a person's tests but performance, attitude, and character can be judged properly, but there's simply too many people.

As mentioned above, tests don't define you but a series of tests could test one general aspect of you as a person. In this case, it is all the tests and board exams done during medical school, and subsequent residencies to become a surgeon that makes them qualified. Going to medical school isn't just simply "writing a test well". You can't just ace the MCATs and go to medical school. There are interviews, there are psychological/personality tests (Casper) and they look at extra-curricular activities as well.

Why? Because TESTS LITERALLY DO NOT DEFINE YOU. A medical school in America (I want to say University of Berkeley if I remember correctly) once did not require interviews for medical school students, and the graduating students were TERRIBLE DOCTORS. They aced all the tests but when it came time to dealing with patients they couldn't even look the patients in the eye. There are many smart people out there that can ace every test you give them, but they are so socially awkward and lack common knowledge that you couldn't trust them with the well being of a patient.

It's not the tests that were meaningful to begin with but the learning, development, and application of knowledge and skills that truly matters. The tests only give you the license/certification. For example, if a skilled and talented surgeon in a foreign country were to write a medical test in the west, they may fail completely due to not knowing the language. Yet if the person were to perform surgery, they would still be able to do so, and successfully.

And a final note to bring my point across, your grades in medical school do not matter as much as what you learn and what you can do. That's why once you go to medical school (or even optometry, dentistry, etc), it is important that you study and learn to know the stuff, not just to do well on tests. They still have tests to ensure you meet a minimum grade, but that's more to ensure that you're keeping up with curriculum and understanding it. At the end of the day, a person who scores 100% on all their tests may end up as a mediocre doctor whereas a person who scored 80's may become a terrific doctor. Why? Because tests don't define you, and many graduate schools know that. This is why most medical schools will have a minimum grade needed, but will look at other things including extra-curricular activities, relevant work experience, and personality through interviews. Writing a standardized test may get you through the door, but that's only the minimum standard. It's you work ethics, personality, and ability to persevere that will truly prove your abilities.

imK and mir like this.
  19. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Was he skilled in hospital administration & bureaucracy atleast as well or could he just write grammatically correct?

20. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Said doctor had a habit of skipping class about parts of the body and issue about different diseases. Said doctor takes care of the important surgeries when needed, isn’t involved in administration. The guy just seems to have a talent for using the pen.