LCD Worlds’ Apocalypse Online

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, so is it the same deal with ALL of the god's chosen types? Do they make "decks" out of scrolls as well, and it's not just card-types that do that?

But either way, how exactly would Bloodcloak draw those cards? By using the heart of the cards Yugi style? By tutoring and/or having some card draw mechanic in his deck? From what? Other cards, like in card games? So then there would be God's Chosen Skills that exist for the sole purpose of being used to draw other cards, which means they'd be completely useless before manifesting as cards and/or having more than one card god's chosen skill.

Now, in fairness, it has already been mentioned how there's plenty of useless god's chosen skills so that might just be the case, but either way I just think it's a stupid gimmick.

Or is there some kind of "card drawing technique" with different levels of cultivation to show how badass you're at pulling out cards? I'm level n in Card Draw Mastery, anyone at level n-1 or below in Card Draw Mastery are like ants before me! LUL

Ok I'm joking a bit too much and it's not that big of a deal, at least not as long as MC doesn't become a card duelist as well (which is a shame because I was hoping for some neat god's chosen skills before this), but I still stand by that this is a stupid gimmick.

If it was just about God's Chosen being too powerful because they've got so many OP skills, the author could've just said it take some time to call them forth or whatever. There's absolutely no reason of having this random card draw mechanic in there other than to come up with a reason for Isa to be delayed by another second.

I wouldn't even be surprised if having to draw & discard cards slowing a card-type god's chosen never even shows up again (which I really hope cause then I'll just pretend like this never happened), but the author could've just said that the pause was 4 seconds instead of 5, or any other reason to make it so MC was saved by those 3 seconds delay from the card Su Xu Er gave him.

If there were to be an emphasis on drawing cards it would've made a lot more sense if they were more like future tellers/oracles/whatever with tarot cards or something. Though now that I think about it that might be what they are and I'm just having too many preconceived biases.

Either way still not a fan of "chance" or "luck" because 1) hearthstone sucks, but more importantly, 2) it's when "luck" gets added into the mix that authors tend to start going crazy with plot armor and deus ex machina asspulls that completely trivialize and cheapen their stories.

/rant over

2. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way he reacted to her in that 'flashback' very much screamed to me "They know each other very well, and he dislikes her". He had a weird way to talk and not look at her.

3. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how she managed to gather so many people and sacrifice them in like an hour.

“You killed my brother, he held nothing but absolute loyalty to you, but you killed him!” Yeah, she really should have expected that.

I wonder if Anna is in any condition to take over her country, and what Asmodeus will do to it between his arrival and hers.

lunarshadow and Astaroth like this.
  4. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still kind of shocked the author has "five seconds pass in an assassination, and all the people around just watch". Like, there were more people around from the start, even if we discount Hurt. Silly writer.

My impression is the draw thing is because of the 'can only have a certain number of cards at a specific level' limit.

We know Su Xer is special because instead of having a limit of 4 cards as someone newly awakened, she has no limit at all. As such she wouldn't have 'draw', she would only be limited by the cards she obtained.

OTOH, Isa needed to both obtain a card and then either always keep it around, or put it back in the deck if it's niche, hoping she could draw it again at the right moment.

Obviously though, with a 11 cards hand like she had, she is pretty damn certain to find multiple good card whenever she draws a new hand. and in 'peace' time she can just draw and draw again until she finds the one she needs. So it's more "can''t get the optimal card" than "will only get shitty ones".

lunarshadow and Astaroth like this.
  5. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the flashback, he had to be reminded by someone who she was, so i doubt he actually even knew her beforehand.
    I mean, it's 5 seconds, and everyone around are politicians/world leaders who are staying the fuck away from the Pope because she's the Pope. The only other people around who could even fight decently are the royal guards and the leaders' bodyguards, which sure as hell are not going to leave their employers who they need to protect to stop one of the most powerful people in the world from being killed.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beside the pope's bodyguards also being part of them, there will definitely be someone that decide they can get browny point by backstabbing someone. That's, well, a recurrent theme of the story. The chronic backstabbing.

7. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's Hurt, he's the bodyguard. It was explicitly stated that they travelled here on a super-speed shuttle while Kid stayed back at the Holy Empire to take control of the situation after most of the Holy Troops were wiped out by the attack. Since it's short-notice, she couldn't possibly have arranged for other people there to be her guards, unlike the other world leaders.

Astaroth likes this.
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking under the assumption that the limit was how many cards they could simply 'know' or 'use'. There hasn't been any mention of any "hand" and "deck" before this afaik.

I could totally see it like this though, if we pretend like it's a card game, then the cards they have access too (i.e. their card limit) is their "hand", and any card they don't have access too (beyond their limit) is part of their "deck". Then sure, having to "discard" the "hand" and "draw" new cards from the "deck" makes sense.

However, why wouldn't Isa already know what cards are in her "hand" and why did she have to "draw" it first? Presumably the hand wouldn't have changed, she would've still chosen which cards are in her "hand" at an earlier time and if she didn't have the correct card(s) she needed she would've "discarded" the least useful card(s) and "drawn" the card(s) she wanted.

She would've simply chosen whichever card she wants to switch out, no "chance" or "luck" involved.

Plus, where/how do they store their cards they can't have "equipped"/in their "hand" because of their card limit? If they're physically stored somewhere (even in some storage space) there shouldn't be any luck involved what so ever.

So no, I think you're wrong. And even if you're right that still doesn't make sense...

9. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About the scene with Xiuxiu, seems I misread it. Sorry about that.

...what? Of course she can. In that 'short notice', she still arranged to kill a thousand civilians. She definitely has access to enough troops so that she doesn't travel with 'just' Hurt. Hurt is strong, but it's a constant theme that one strong person (or two) can't really fight against a well organised group.

The pope going alone in an enemy country whose monarch's brother she personally killed with only one bodyguard is asking to have an accident.
    I think she did have the cards she wanted beforehand? It's just that they were not adapted for the current situation.

She redrew them because she used multiple cards in a row, and wanted to have as many offensive cards as possible. But she mentioned having access to her cards even before then.

Remember, this is how it begins:
    She had access to her cards before 'drawing 11 cards at once, then redrawing the ones she disliked'.

She just wanted a super-combo to kill them all at once.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Astaroth likes this.
  10. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly what surprises me a bit more is how long time it takes, like I've already felt for a while (like 100+ chapters) but despite everyone being godlike super humans they're still basically on the level of regular humans in terms of reaction time etc.

3 and 5 seconds should be a LONG time for them.

So for me I feel like it makes sense that nobody had time to react, what doesn't make sense is how long the actual duration of the "stuns" from those cards were.

Maybe it should've been more like 1 second and 2 seconds or so, and then it makes a lot more sense that nobody else has any time to react.

p.s. but of course, either way what the author said doesn't really seem too add up

Arkeus likes this.
  11. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of authors have that disconnect between "yeah, they can do this and that which should mean that whole fights should actually end in 0.00000001 seconds" and "wait, what? people around take 10 minutes to rescue them and it works?"

It's weird.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yeah you're right, I got thrown off a bit because it happened several sentences earlier and there's no mention of her discarding any cards in between.

So going by the wording she actually had "a few cards" from earlier plus another 11 cards that she drew while the trio was frozen.

But then afterwards it says she discarded the unusable ones and redraw, after which she only has 11 cards in her hand?...
    So did she discard the "few cards" she already had before MC and friends showed up without the author mentioning it? Or what's going on here.

Or maybe the author also forgot she already had cards in her hand before drawing, like I did... :hmm:

13. crazedreader

crazedreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well nobody says anything about how many card she discard, for all we knwe she might just discard everything except the 11 she is going to use, maybe because having them on stand by waste a lot of energy? Either way the card she drew for Varona was still there, and she drew 11 new cards afterward without discarding them, then she start discarding unusable cards until only 11 left.

14. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, i've always assumed that the 1000 sacrifices were the near-death soldiers who were fooled into offing themselves to their god (remember, the church worships a Death god).
    May be it's just me, but i've always imagined the "shuttles" in the novel to be the size of flying cars in Dragon Ball, and the faster they are the more streamlined they need to be, which explains why the Pope is there with only Hurt as a body guard.
    Also, she thinks of herself as basically the strongest person in the world, since last time she fought the MC, it was the MC that had to flee while bleeding all over, the arrogance combined with lack of information and everything else ended in this situation which led to her death.

This shows just how powerful those consumable items are, since even MC himself only have a 2-second stun as a trump card, which he jumped through a heck of a lot of hoops to obtain and even more hoops to be able to use. These just automatically activates.
    The first time around, she drew a few because that's all she needed to kill Varona, but when the trio appeared, she had to draw her full capacity, which she later discarded the useless ones because Asmodeus told her to go all out, and she could only use 11 at a time (originally 10, got a +1 from Asmodeus helping her a few chapters ago). So regardless of how many she had at the start, she ended with 11.

15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    No, she had 11 cards after drawing another 11 cards (which increased her total cards in hand to over 11), discarding, and redrawing more cards again.

Either way, point is that unless she discarded cards before she drew 11 cards the first time without the author mentioning it or the author forgot she already had at least 2 cards ("a few cards") in hand, the Poe can have more than 11 cards in hand at the same time, so there's no reason to limit herself to 11 cards later either.

If it cost energy to have the cards on stand by or some other kind of penalty, the same penalty would've already existed before as well.

Anyway, there's a clear inconsistency here, but it's not really something that matters. I care a lot more about the card draw mechanics, and even that I think (hope) will be a one time thing so....

16. shinikage

shinikage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hurt is loyal to the church itself unlike his brother who was loyal to the pope, thats why she didnt sacrifice him to call asmodeus. Thats was her mistake you keep the ones loyal to you near while getting rid of the rest, also the part about the god of death wanting to kill her may also helped him resolve to get revenge for his brother.
    as for the cards i can only think they can only use the cards they have already have on their bodies regardless of their amount but can only draw a limited amount each time in order to replenish the used ones, we also saw that isa had the skill to forcefully draw cards from the void at the expense of having parts of her body sealed by chains

17. Haiku575

Haiku575 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to this week's episode of "Delaying the story progression"

Thanks for the heads up. Would be nice if the author told his own story in order.

Astaroth likes this.
  18. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C361: Well, I guess Anna doesn't have to worry about Asmodeus after all. Though, it looks like Su Xue Er will have to worry about Isa still, eventually.

C362: [TN: Welcome to this week's episode of "Delaying the story progression"] Well, that's not a good sign...

"Su Xue Er was still at the forked road of fate." If this is before Su Xue Er came to talk to the MC, then why did she call the MC after this to ask him if she should do the things she apparently already did?

"Believers aren’t allowed to climb onto these platforms, as they are the place where god stands and mortals cannot reach." That must get dusty then.

19. Arkeus

Arkeus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That would take forever and be super stressful. I actually think going that way is better for advancing story progression... as long as you care about the side plots.

20. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Isa will most likely be a cockroach since she is the enemy of 2 waifus and MC personally 'killed' her