A Thief on Wattpad

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vijaya, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Tea Fragrance

Tea Fragrance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally get it.
    It's extra frustrating cause it's not bots and manually uploaded by someone who blatantly decided to do so despite seeing all the "do not repost". The one time it happened to me, I didn't even bother to PM the account. I have 3 separate lines of watermark/DNR every chapter and that person scrubbed all of them before reposting. If he/she took the effort to do that, he/she was obviously not going to respect any PMs to take it down.

I reported it to Wattpad using their DMCA form and Wattpad took it down after a few hours. I read that if an account gets repeated DMCA strikes, it will be deleted. (I checked and the account that reposted my stuff is no longer there hehe)

2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t understand why anybody say you could ‘copystrike’ the thief. Forgive me but isn’t this the prime example of a thief stole from another thief?

I don’t think you are in the position to use the justice system to punish the wrong-doer. Making it big would likely result in both of you getting into trouble.

EDIT: Also, I think you should remove their username or any indication of identity. Witch-hunting is not a good idea.

imK likes this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    if you don't try, you never know~:blobmelt:
    I think your translation speed is admirable~

4. Vijaya

Vijaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... Actually I spend money to support the original author though
    Even until now I didn't have a chance to buy new domain for my website

Eques likes this.
  5. Vijaya

Vijaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... the speed... but Chinese slang and idioms... always put me in a corner...

6. Vijaya

Vijaya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I'm asking around if someone know or have translator group chat
    I already asked in previous thread, but my thread was drowned

7. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit of a tricky one. Unless they've sold the translation rights to someone else the author retains the sole legal right to translate their own works (either themselves or paying others) and fan translations are considered a legal breach of that right. If you want the legal right to translate an author's work, you must have the express permission of the author/translation rights holder.

Usually, authors/translation rights holders don't bother chasing fan-translators unless there is big money involved which basically never happens. Fan translators are generally safe as long as there are no official translations already out there in the same language. Technically you're breaking the law if you do it without permission.

What the author/translation rights holder can do:
    - Apply for a cease and desist/takedown/copy strike on a fan-translator who posts up translations of their work without prior permission
    - Go through the courts to claim compensation for any money made from unauthorized translations (hard to prove & probably never happen)

What the author/translation rights holder can't do:
    - Claim ownership of an unauthorized translation. The translation is yours, you just won't be able to continue sharing it

TLDR; a fan-translator owns their own translation and therefore can copy strike against a re-uploader, but they themselves are also breaking the law unless they have the permission of the author/translation rights holder to upload their translations in the first place.

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    @GDLiZy

I disagree.
    I look at it from another perspective.
    It's all about labor.
    Translation is labour intensive and that labor deserves to be paid for/ rewarded.
    If you think otherwise then you are a supporter of slavery.
    You don't tell a street side sketch artist that you won't pay for their drawing of superman because they didn't get the rights

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    mangoberry and Amaruna Myu like this.
  9. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking at it from the legal perspective of my country.
    People are paid to legally translate works by authors, publishing companies and other businesses all the time. The best command high fees for a reason. Pointing out the law is not supporting slavery. What bold lie to make. I support and am a fan of translators. That doesn't change the law. Your gaslighting doesn't work on me. Try again, but next time with facts.

EDIT: Forgot to give a counter to your street artist example. I can choose to buy their work, even bring it home and enjoy it, but the owner of the original work has every right to stop them from doing so by law. Will they? Probably not, but it's still that person's right to do so.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    pandaqueen likes this.
  10. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't that deep.
    Also edited my post to reflect your analogy.
    I hope you can understand me better now instead of resorting to personal insults.
    Keep it clean and logical.
    Thanks.

11. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say I was a fan translator. I said I am a fan of translators. That means I support them. That is relevant because I am pointing out that even though I am talking about the law, I am not against fan translations. Do you understand clearly now?

Literally nobody said that translating isn't hard work.
    Literally nobody said that translators don't deserve to be paid.
    The only thing I talked about was the legal side of things.
    You can have an opinion on the law but that doesn't change the reality of the law.
    I have no idea what you want.

Loni4ever, kenar, asriu and 4 others like this.
  12. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think that you were part of what I mentioned as the
    then that's no longer on me.

That aside though,

This just in, victims in 3rd world countries are no longer allowed to complain after getting robbed!

Yes, this is definitely something on par with common knowledge like the color of the sky.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  13. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Block her!!
    Report SPAM!!
    Geez, that's so annoying

imK and Wujigege like this.
  14. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List: