Wuxiaworld picking up trash

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DreamStolen, Dec 30, 2019.

?

Does wuxiaworld is full of trash novel? Same setting same mc so cliche that you want to puke?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2020.
  1. No, all novel translated by wuxiaworld is good.

27.6%
  2. Yes, the novel they keep picking up is so bad the translation is super but the novel is trash

65.5%
  3. No comment, just new at reading novel

6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm talking about similar CN novels to those i've mention :hmm: .

2. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for me the best novel right now on novelupdates is the second coming of gluttony and since WW bought the license for its translations and are going to translate all of it, the its the best website for me:p

Girish3107 and Wujigege like this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple and easy to please.
    I like you :blobReach:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    An Anime Addict likes this.
  4. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I took a break and started reading comics. Sighs Manhuas will piss you off just as much as some CN novels. Mawhas that I tried is the same cliche KR novels have hate the rich or have the perfect reincarnation that never make mistakes.

5. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno about this, they don't need to focus on works that existed on qidian, they could try getitng something thats its on hbooker? 17k? Sfcag? There is others sites that people publish novels, hbooker and Sfcag for example have tons of novels and i'm pretty sure translators on WW are focusing on getting only cultivation novels, there is chinese works that isn't about it, or about online games, or they could get a cultivation novel that focus into other things rather than cultivation and develop more the characters and the world, instead of focusing into mc being a loner that can do everything himself

Also to me Chinese,Korean,Japanese novels most of times are the same thing most of the works in any of those languages are below average, for personal taste i dislike koreans the most so far, but i still have a list of untranslated stuff that i'd like to see

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really interested in anything on WW, but I don't see how it is much different from the majority of stuff in the translation community as a whole, there apparently is demand for these kind of stories for whatever reason.

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    They seemed to be picking up the generic novels left and right. For me, it's probably because you are playing it 'safe' in fear of losing constant readership.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    The pool is rather... unfair? I mean there are good novel in WW such as Coiling Dragon (my first CN)

9. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolutely disagree with you. From my point of view, ED is an absolute trash novel, in some ways even worse than some other famous garbage novels like MGA or PMG. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean purely taste. It is sometimes fun to read this type of novels, but if you try to look objectively, MC is literally the only the only good thing about it. ED is the most repetitive novel ever, with 0 actual plot movement, consist of pretty much nothing but the same arc repeated over and over again, side characters have 0 IQ and there is no reason to remember any of them (including those on MC side), cool abilities are fast forgotten and to make matters worse, it got way way worse after 3k chapter mark (I quited at around 3.4k chapters mark).

Anyway, moving to the main question whether WW is picking up trash, I would both agree and disagree with it. Korean novels are ok, however I have a problem about how many of what I call "never ending" novels (aka novels which go for 3-4k+ chapters and show no signs of stopping) WW has picked up.

Nisaea likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, you an forget that it's a business.
    They are translating what paying readers like.
    Free to read readers can't vote.
    Although the bigger issue is that the percentage of readers paying is too little.
    So much so that in a smaller website one reader can determine what thousands get to read.
    It's the drawback of the free to read system
    Cheers!

11. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that quite well. I am translator as well, though I don't translate web novels. There is another point of view that is worth mentioning, it is the fact that never ending novels guarantee that they will have something to translate for a very long time.
    However, I as a reader feel sad because for me, like for many others, endings are important, and knowing that I will never be able to see it, just kills any motivation and raises a question what is the point to begin something that you will never end.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand all too well. It is also the reason why I gave up Western TV shows for Asian ones especially Korean and Japanese with sometimes just 8 episodes to conclude a TV show.
    I love Smallville but waiting 5 years to see the end was torture

3 months is more manageable and I usually wait till the episodes are done or a week or so left to start watching

13. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually wouldn't mind a 3k or 4k chapter novel that much, but the thing is that when you read something like that you would nned to see if the author have something planned far ahead so you can know that he have the work already planned out and he might not be filling with fillers left and right, absolutely don't trust chinese novels with more than 3k chapters regarding the author thinking about finishing it soon, let alone if the novel currently can give him money

I'm not sure how all of this work but, as a site that keeps growning like WW shouldn't they show more interest in bringing more of different novels to their site? Like, trying to get something different? Or at least something that they honestly feel that while it has it generic points it can be good and enjoyable? Because the biggest problem its not even how much the novels can be generic, but how much the authors are willing to also write it bad,keep the bad tropes the people hate, things that kill that makes the story excting, because if you ask me its pretty much impossible unless the work was read before for the translator to give a 100% of certain that he will bring something new and different/Not generic, when you keep bringing a single type of content you will stagnate your public and close the chance of a wider number of people to check your site out

At least WW sometimes still introduce me to some authors that seems interesting, like Sage monarch that has a terrible writing in several aspects, but i gave chance for his other work Emperor of cosmos and while it can feel generic i enjoyed reading up to translations, and his other works dragon taslisman and eternal life seems rather interesting for me

i'd like to just also point out that i've seem a lot of times that people that tell bad things about lots of novels a lot of times happen to misunderstand or don't pick up hints in the novels, or just outright ignore things in the novel, i've enjoyed some works that i've seem a lot of critcism and by myself was able to see that several of them were just that the reader failed to pay attention to the work a lot of times it was not even something complicated at all...

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I started reading your post but I have to stop you there.
    You sad "bad tropes", that is subjective. Since these set of tropes make the most money then calling them bad cannot be correct.
    The issue is simply variety. When 100% of novels being translated are cultivation novels then people will start feeling jaded
    I dont expect it to change because the paying readers are like addicts who want their fix and the so called "bad tropes" generic novels are what they want and hence good for business.
    Competition from other websites eg j-novel club is the best bet for readers but since their platform is not free to read
    The target audience is not exactly the same

15. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do agree thats subjective, rather i think it would be a better way to expres myself instead of "bad tropes" if you changed to "not knowing how to handle a trope or overusing them" because cultivation novels happens to most of time use several similar tropes, i'm unsure if i would believe that people really don't dislike those two, it just feels like they are more of just tolerating them

Honestly i just like the cultivation novels, rather the problem i feel its like the focus, if there is cultivation fine, i love my overpowered and the cultivation things and i think a lot of people like the concept of cultivation as well, but there is a lack of diversity when doing those works , or of trying to be a bit different when dealing with things in the works

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Sword Dynasty. You wont regret it.
    Some authors forget that cultivation is supposed to compliment the story instead of being the focus
    The characters are supposed to be the focus.
    I like A Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality but its biggest annoyance for me is the fact that you can have long stretches of chapters where the protagonist is by himself cultivating.
    It is pretty pathetic now that I think of it. No human interaction, nothing.
    I cant believe I use to read that

Disclaimer: I usually only watch drama adaptations since its fast paced and no dragging plot. Sword Dynasty ends this weekend.
    It is only 34 episodes long compared to others that are 50 - 70

Cheers!

EnuoFH likes this.
  17. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind there is being a bit of the cutlivation focus sometimes, but when you completely disregard human interactions and things like that the novel just becomes dull and boring not mention i feel author is just being lazy even more when a lot of the cultivation system have nothing truly worth of focusing so much

I don't know about you but i always thought that when they introduce stuff like Dao, the path the cultivators have to take, there would be some sort of more philosophy about that at some point, it just never happens most of time though

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors like Er Gen seem to actually be philosophers, so it was clear in ISSTH
    but then like most stories when the story goes on for too long, it loses his way
    The retconning nonsense also pissed me off as it was so alarmingly similar to Naruto
    Poor kid/scholar turns out to be a prince.
    It made all the initial 300 so chapters completely pointless
    It meant that He was never in any real danger since his mother was protecting him
    All the accomplishments we thought was due to hardwork was just his mum bullying lesser tribes. Just like the Song clan debacle

EnuoFH likes this.
  19. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm aware of Er Gen works having this kind of trait, but i honestly don't like much them because i really don't like the kind of protagonist he makes, and at least to me if i can't like the mc i just really can't continue reading most of time

There was another novel that i liked in a arc, it was on Transcending the nine heavens about the moment the mc start meeting some people, discovering the harshness of their life, and his path of sentiment isntead of the emotioneless

If its not retcon something i really dislike if its the author decides to nerf mc or something, or just plain forget about what MC have be it a item or ability to deal with someone or situation, and author just completely forget it, or make it be weaker than it actually is for no reason

If anything else there is also the fact that authors just never make characters that can talk thing out, this not only for chinese but korean and japanese as well, even in works that mc is supposed to be mature, i keep seeing author making the character that is supposed to be mature not talk things out with others and just cause more and more problems that could have been avoided all along

Also don't know about you but something that will ever piss me off its when author makes stuff "i think i felt his aura...?" or "is it just impression of mine" in a certain way that it shouldn't be possible for this as a excuse, like there was a novel a girl sensed the mc aura was like "no it cant be him i must be imagining things" like... so stupid person is a superhuman and can feel auras and think she will just imagine things? That along with that horrible trope that mc for absolutely no reason at all hides himself from the person that he trusts, or that dont show his disguise, for absolutely no reason at all just for the sake of not making the two meet again

20. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    That title sounds like wuxiaworld is saving the environment...

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.