Discussion JP novel reader, are you still reading isekai?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Takeru Takaishi, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point, when I see isekai combined with slow life, it just becomes a red flag for me. I don't really read JP novel at this point except for those female protagonist (and at that, I avoid those focused on romance instead of military, economy, or politics) I still remember fondly when isekai means something like dungeon seeker's death flag everywhere, or Knights and magic's adventure instead of just let's just laze around with a harem in this new world.

Sometimes there are rough gems in the isekai genre, but I prefer to discover those through manga before moving to novel since I feel that there is no barrier of entry in web novel and there is in manga and light novel. But since the market's taste is like that... 80/20 rules apply?

Fuyuneko likes this.
  2. Robinxen

Robinxen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read almost exclusively isekais to be honest.
    With other novels there's a lot of hit and miss on whether it will work out to my taste, whereas isekais are pretty consistent in delivery.
    Even if that delivery is barely above mediocre, I know I will at least not dislike it.

That said, none of my favourites are isekais. So don't get me wrong.

Fuyuneko and Passerby like this.
  3. keny2020j

keny2020j Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just read as long as it is interesting. not all isekai manga are really about then bring their original world tech into fantasy. it was just used as spice to the normal fantasy manga.

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid slice of life.
    I usually drop the novels though before episode 50

Vincent1873 likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I still read isekai, when I like the summary and genres of the novel, I do give it a try

6. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN novel reader, are you still reading cultivation?

Dr_H_16, asriu, vlue and 16 others like this.
  7. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    But of course!

If i don't like the series then i dropped it.

EDIT: KR novel reader, are you still reading novels that involves grinding & game mechanics? :blobamused:

8. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read isekai too but not because I like isekai genre.
    It's just that there's so many isekai that there's a high probability that the random novel you chose is an isekai.
    What matters in the end is quality of the story and the delivery.

9. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    of course even know its over saturated it doesnt mean the journey and path is the same, its like telling a CN reader do you still read cultivation novels

Passerby likes this.
  10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading JP novels a while ago cause I got bored of the characters' characters... Even if the setting is decent, the characters kill my interest. That's if things like slave harems and lolis don't turn me away from the novel first.

Fuyuneko and ToastedRossi like this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup! Isekai is still the main reason to read Japanese webnovels. These books tend to have a ton of interesting ideas, and they tend to have a ton of dramatic irony, and I tend to love that.

Nope! There are tons of reasons to read Chinese webnovels, and cultivation is very low among the list of reasons.

This is a good point. I don't think that the characters are bad because they're in isekai novels, but rather that otaku writers seem to be terrible at writing characters (and at writing in general). And as otaku writers are the only ones writing isekai nowadays, it lends to them being pretty bad. Go back to old school isekai like "Twelve Kingdoms" and the characterization becomes vastly superior.

ludagad likes this.
  12. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how i see jp novel
    Isekai -30 point :blobunsure:
    Slice of life -40 point :blobconfused:
    The title spoil all the content -60 point :facepalm:
    Summary spoil the ending (this is story MC build his/her/it kingdom or going slow life adventuring and become OP) -60 point :blob_catflip:
    Cover +70 if the art is good or -05 if it bad art :hmm:
    Harem +100 :blob_coffee:
    Yandere +100 for the future asura/bloodbath :blobhero::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek:
    mayonnaise -30 it taste horrible :blob_teary:
    Very polite word and act in barbarian setting or in desolate/poor village -40 Where they can afford to learn table manner and the like, did they born imprinted with gentlemanlike decorum or something :blobdizzy:
    English alphabet ranking in adventure guild's isekai -30 annoying, basically you learn English in isekai too but the residents don't speak English

So, if the results is minus i will never bother to read it and if it is plus is worthy my attention

14. Cancel

Cancel Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm mostly reading otome-themed isekai novel right now. As for normal isekai, I usually find something to read through recommendations, don't have the time and patient to dig through so many repetitive novels (not that KR or CN is not repetitive, I just got saturated with isekai)

15. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm all around with JP novels except things that go against my moral codes.

16. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much the same. Slice of life is a red flag for me. Basically means the story is going to be aimless nonsense or a stupid goal like running an inn(no offense Erin).

17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i suppose technically i am, im just super picky about the isekai i read. no wimpy beta cucks, no pseudo harems are my two biggest NOPEs when it comes to isekai.

Fluffy SoL isekai with female protags and no romance are a fav of mine because the fluff is cleansing.

Kuro_0ni and Wujigege like this.
  18. Sturer Emil

Sturer Emil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN novels has more than cultivation. It just that there are way too many novels which makes it hard to even find a good one and English translation is not only slow but also pick quite some crappy CN novels to translate. Anyway the biggest genre of Chinese is go back to the ancient time and harem and it has plenty of good authors to back that genre. Unlike the Japanese boom in light novels with crappy and delusional amateur writers spitting shit but still thought they created gold.

19. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Ofc I still read isekai. Mainly because there's so many of them that I get to pick and choose which novels I find more interesting.
    I still read cultivation novels for the same reason. If there are 100 novels out there you can filter it to 10, then try them and find 2 or 3 you actually enjoy reading and keep following those.

20. moevora

moevora [Ero Peach]

Reading List:
    Link
    I already passed this stage of life long time ago..

JP -> CN -> KR -> JP again, because u realised JP still the best.. at least u dont have to worry accidentally mixed chara names and can enjoy fluffy and warm romance..

my fav genre is psychological + romance tho..

Takeru Takaishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.