Discussion JP novel reader, are you still reading isekai?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Takeru Takaishi, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Give me something other than cultivation, princess doctor assassin girl, CEO consort, celebrities/showbiz, or random VRMMO where the only nation is china or china supremacy?

To date, two CN novel that I could say I enjoyed reading is the king's avatar and my house of horrors. Even the king's avatar is a slog in early days. None of the xuanhuan/xianxia novel feels worthwhile read after a few hundred chapter. I could not enter the mindset of the character where they did political intrigue in princess medical doctor and her ilk... it is just so boring.

novaes likes this.
  2. Sturer Emil

Sturer Emil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    国色生枭[沙漠], 权臣[沙漠] , 极品家丁[禹岩],执魔[我是墨水] , 三宫六院七十二妃 [石章鱼], 医统江山[石章鱼], 替天行盗 作者:石章鱼
    There you go. Hopefully you can read chinese because there is no translation in English. And most of the stuffs that got translated to English are fucking garbage

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  3. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still do. I'm not here expecting literary masterpieces. I'm okay with them as long as they keep me entertained during commuting, toilet breaks, before sleeping, and when I have nothing else to do—which they still very much do. Of course, there's a lot of them which I end up dropping due to various reasons, but it's not enough for me to avoid the genre itself.
    Although, in terms of anime, I ignore most of them by now. I find myself missing the trashy magic academy genre.

novaes likes this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't go that far, but there still are a ton of popular Chinese genres are almost completely untranslated. I don't entirely blame the translators because they're going to go where the readership is but it's foolish to believe that what gets translated is an accurate reflection of what gets written.

Takeru Takaishi likes this.
  5. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of The Mysteries was pretty good, I took a break recently to wait for chapters and try out other stuff.

6. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Abyss Domination ? would reccomend Son-Con but dont sound like your cup of tea

Actually there is a big ton of novels that isn't xianxia/xuanhuan there is chinese sites that focus on web novels that are not xianxia/xuanhuan , but its just like people pretty much focus on getting stuff from 17k,qidian and mostly only the xianxia/xuanhuan genre(even though those site also have non-xianxia/xuanhuan)

About the topic, yeah i still read JP isekai, i don't judge the genres i like, i judge the work and its often easy to see certain patterns, its not the genre fault that the author made a bad work with it

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what you really dislike is the lazy MC with a lot of harem, rather than the Isekai itself. The whole Isekai thing is just a kind of introduction, like "Once upon a time" last century. It's not exactly a plot, because it will never be mentioned ever again except from the first few chapters.

You can basically put an Isekai tag on anything as long as you made the MC transmigrate or reincarnate from one world to another. The setting would still be the major factor whether it will be a mystery, romance, SoL or trash.

Takeru Takaishi likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes~
    really~ reading kinda depend on this cat mood~
    this cat time for reading get less and less
    19657.png
    WP

9. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yet idiots complain that the plot is the exact same unoriginal garbage because the story uses one of those repeated (since there are only so many ways to do the transition, and all the author can really do is re-skin one of them) plot points. since you know a multiple chapter introduction is to long for them when really you need to wait at least the first arc, but the first couple being a better option, to judge how original and different a story is (Yesterday I say someone comment on a manga chapter that the premise of that story was X entirely form ch 1, with nothing after that mattering, when ch 6 or 7 had one character state in no uncertain terms she was lying in her scene in ch 1, and the premise that they posted 100% relied on her statements being truthful).

Of course there is also the problem of how many idiots do not know what the term means, and just use it as a derogatory term for Japanese Fantasy, and fantasy elements and they instantly go "isekai garbage".

Not saying that you are wrong, Isekai is a writing device to start a story, make the MC more relate-able, and help explain the world as well as giving an out for certain types of plot holes (not everything but it means that info about some things can be wrong and corrected when the MC gets the real information). It is a tool and can be used well or used horribly, and like with most writing tools bad uses are more common, because there are just more bad (or just inexperienced) writers.

The real problem is that the stories we see are what is free, because the good stuff gets picked up by actual translators who charge for the books, and what is free is the amateur stuff with no editor, but to many (english) readers act like anything that is not edited pro level is absolute garbage and only read what they can get for free.

Llamadragon, novaes and flannan like this.
  10. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I still reading Isekai? Let's see:
    * Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear and Isekai Yururi Kikou are ongoing and I keep reading them.
    * Death March is getting to an end, which is nice.
    * Death Mage isnt' getting to an end yet, and I'm interested in seeing how crazy things will get.
    * I've been reading the novel version of Isekai Smartphone.
    ...yeah, I'm totally reading isekai. And a few not-isekai Japanese fantasy stories for good measure.

Why am I doing it? Aren't all isekai the same?
    No, they aren't - each of them reflects the author's personality and preferences.
    For example, Death Mage is an enemy to half the gods in his world. But MC of Isekai Yururi Kikou has successfully tamed them with food.
    On the other hand, Bear, Satou from Death March and Takumi of Isekai Yururi Kikou like children and spend a lot of time with them. But they are very different in the way they treat children. To Bear, children are noncombatants to be protected. Satou's lolis are energetic fantasy adventurers, and he is their overprotective parent. And Takumi's children pull him around all the time and play around like children should (except they are totally overpowered, and their playing around involves monsters dying a lot).

novaes likes this.
  11. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah definitely.

Chuck ten people into the same isekai scenario and you'd hopefully get ten different stories, because they'll have ten different personalities and solutions to their problems - it's only a problem when you start getting perhaps one or two stories with ten different titles.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    vlue, kenar, flannan and 1 other person like this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I still read isekai just fine, I just need to avoid the generic bland boring stuff, and those are super mega ultra easy to avoid, I just need to look at the synopsis, cover and title~

novaes likes this.
  13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've come to accept that these stories will always be mostly terrible. A lot of them are just a combination of overused tropes, so rather than get mad at them I just move on. It is a shame how many rely on garbage like [Dense Protagonist] and [Slavery] to get the plot moving, but it makes it all the better when you find one that is good quality.

Heck, even if the quality isn't that good, you can still enjoy them if you just filter out your most loathed tags and accept the story really isn't going to be that amazing. Plus you can just skim through the most terrible parts. There's little point in denying yourself some fun just because there's yet another vomit inducing filler chapter about how amazing soy sauce is.

14. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Actually, I mostly read isekai novels

15. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I still read Vermillion Etranger

16. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, still read the isekai genre.

Lately my focus though has gone to Otome styled Isekai.

17. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if it's an old novel that I was already following, then sure. But if a new author decides to go with it, I immediately assume he's not inspired.
    Still love the fantasy genre though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  18. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's harem in it, then I'll stop and not gonna read it.
    Any other isekai with harem in it, just feels like usual jpn manga/ln, just story selling fan service imo.

19. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in short, yes
    but its not my main reading genre simply because too many series that uses
    the same template and how the author deliver the story
    often makes me cringe now.
    too many hit & miss, dropping the series i read in 10 chapter or even less if i dont like it
    some of my best read now is horror and one with game element like those korean novel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.