Request Could You Explain This?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SquadCammander354, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I wonder if I'm reading something you're working on... You seem to need a break. Truly though I only kept going cause you made a personal attack... I even mentioned this isn't something that actually bothers me. Then again experienced, confident translators would and did ignore my post. I guess you felt attacked by my original post and I apologise as you have shown no signs of pretentious behavior.

2. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!!

Nightow1 likes this.
  3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just assume I was a translator? Nope, "just" bilingual (multi-lingual actually). Which I suspect is more than can be said about you. I seriously, utterly hate self entitled pricks that toss shit at others while being totally ignorant of the subject matter. Those that can do. Those that can't? Pretend to be super experts that can do better.

As the Chinese would say, you are a person that "酒杯里洗澡". Translate THAT.

4. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    This hurts me. Please learn proper Orkish to English it's not WWAAAAAARRRGGG it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD? SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE?
    FOR THE GLORY OF ROHAN?
    FOR THE EMPEROR?
    CHARGE?
    RUMMMMMMMMMMM!
    Also technically WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH is both an incorrect and correct translation of the word. Seeing as how WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH is here both a guttural warcry like screaming AAH if you fall, an actual word with multiple definitions I know of around 3 and I know there are more and within context humans have basically included it within their vocabulary within the setting it originates from similar to how English has stolen Japanese words. So in the case of the short you are showing using the sounds that are supposed to be represented as the cry is in this case a guttural war cry the correct English translation is exactly how it phonetically sounds.

Nightow1 and kenar like this.
  5. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree.
    That's the wrong tone of green for Orcish.

TiggerBane and Nightow1 like this.
  6. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    GREEN IS GREEN YA ZOGGING GIT!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Nisaea and Nightow1 like this.
  7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I love you guys, don't ever change. lol.

Humie trying to sound Orky: "Waahhh!!!!"
    General: "Why is that soldier crying?" :ROFLMAO:

8. Invisalats

Reading List:
    Link
    Super expert huh? Because I think it's lazy for a translator to use kill for 杀 when translating at basically every occurrence even when it can be translated any number of ways that would make sense in English. For instance in a friendly spar kill isn't appropriate at all when taking English speaking readers into account and Fight would work just fine since it's almost always proceeded by a small pause in the action.

You talk mess about my take on it but 杀 is not some mystical idiom and you want to act like some Knight protecting the virginity of the poor translator damsel in distress from the lecherous bandit.

Guess I should clarify it is lazy translation to not adjust to context to a perfectly fine translation of 杀, instead of spamming kill. Sometimes the author will spam it like you'd forget if he didn't but there is a vast difference between trying to preserve culture through idioms and just being lazy with a single character.

The translator of nine start hegemon body art already have a perfect example of quality translating earlier in this thread. You even liked it.

I'm not a translator but I do have a basic understanding of English. I also understand that translation is far from copy & paste from a machine.

BTW 杀 may have many different meanings other than Kill but your argument is basically that it is right because you know Chinese but I question your understanding of what translation is and whether you understand at all the point of translating a fiction?

As for my self entitlement well based on the previous few responses from you, I guess I can see how you'd think someone not agreeing with your undeniably knowledgeable take on this subject and expressing their own opinion based off of their reading experience in regards to the different quality translations available and the obvious 懒惰认识到懒惰 , I guess what ever those Chinese people are saying isn't good.

9. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    As I already said, prove it. You claim that there is a better alternative to "Kill", why not just say the word out? One word. Is it that difficult for you to prove that since you already said there is a better one? Just one word to stop the insults to you and people looking down on you.

Or is the real reason why you cannot say it is because it does not exist? Which means you have been throwing brickbats at people that were more skilled than you.

And I love to see what alternative meaning of 杀 can you come up with. Even something as mild as 杀风景 (killing the mood) implies termination.

I think it is both lazy and arrogantly self entitiled of you to criticise someone if even you yourself cannot do better.

Frankly, I think you are of the new generation of people that seen to think that just because you criticise something, it means it will get better. It's just a pipe dream. When you maxed something out, no matter how much of a shithead bitch you are, it isn't going to improve, no matter how much you whine and slander and badmouth others. It ain't "leadership" to criticise, it's just throwing other people under the bus to score points.

And there is no Chengyu that has 懒惰认识到懒惰. You tell a Chinese this, he will only very roughly get the concept. In short, you fail as a translator. You think a word for word change is "translating"? You should have gone "近朱者赤, 近墨 者黑" if you wanted to imply that birds of a feather flock together.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. Invisalats

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I wasn't implying birds of a feather flock together so there is that. That is used in referencing how the same type of people generally group up together. A rather different concept as I implied that lazy people can know if another person is lazy as well, doesn't imply grouping but insight into similar nature.

Also you seem to be arguing with someone else as my stance is not that kill should be replaced in all instances. Seriously I'm uncertain as to what name calling cursing me accomplishes. As for my age while I'm not 70 or something I'm definitely not a young adult.

I also stated I'm no translator in case you missed that...

I'm also not sure how leadership came into play. I'm not trying to be a leader I literally just gave 'my' thoughts. Also I'd like my penny back as I'm almost certain I didn't ask for your thoughts.

You seem to genuinely dislike my opinion and that is perfectly fine. I made my rebuttals, and since I can be said to be an expert in laziness evident through not only my entire life but backed by my bosses it can be said that my assertion of them being lazy in translation would be backed by Patrick Stokes.

As for the issue of translating the kill character I have already expressed my thoughts and given my example of when translating it directly to kill is wrong even if technically correct. I didn't even just spew out a random replacement word.

11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    And my rebuttal is the same as before. Put up or shut up. You keep saying there is a "better way to translate" then is unable to demonstrate this "better way" only proves my point that this is the best you can expect or get. The scenario is already written out for you, you know the context and words, so why are you unable to conclusively demonstrate your "superior method"? Because it is nothing but hot air from someone who does not even do the job in the first place.

Just because some idiot stands up and screams "THERE CAN BE A BETTER WAY!!!!" does not automatically make it true. There is no magic that once that incantation is said, suddenly opens up a "better" option just because someone said it. There is a limit to how good you can make things and if this level of translation is unacceptable to you, then I can very assuredly say that there will be NO translation up to your expected standard ever.

Your expectations are in the realm of the unreasonable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.