Discussion Does anybody else despise harem endings?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sami11, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just the opinion of some random duck on the internet. Also, this has nothing to do with whether or not the harem was well-written.

It is extremely common for the fans of harem novels to say: "Oh like x I hope she ends up being one of the harem members of y, she "deserves" it."

Bitch what? I don't know about you, but if I were a woman who's into somebody I would rather be their exclusive partner rather than the "other woman" who the MC spends only about 6 hours a week with due to how large his harem is. Where's the happiness to be found in this?!

Another thing, How the fuck does not even one of the harem members cheat?! As someone who's had one girlfriend in his life time, providing for the emotion and sexual needs for one woman was hard enough, let alone 100 of them (I'm looking at you Lyle). How would the average JP protagonist even survive in this case when he's that dense?

akak, Araenn, Japorea and 14 others like this.
  2. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, another rant thread about harem

this never ends

Maybe it's time to create threads just for ranting

Harem rant, NTR rant, etc etc

3. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kind of hard to stop ranting when many beloved novels are turning to harems these days.

akak, Araenn, J0HNL8 and 3 others like this.
  4. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was with you until the NTR rant part. Buy then again, to each their own.

Harems really Aren’t as rare as you think it is, it’s just that it isn’t accepted in the place you live. There are still plenty of places where harems are acceptable and the woman are 100% willing. The same can be said for reverse harem.

But most importantly, this is all fiction so just don’t read it if you don’t like it. To each their own.

Ai chan, Kuro_0ni, Gitami and 2 others like this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Xianxia harem are 100 times worse. Forget emotional and sexual needs, there the MC has to rescue every single damn member.

P.S. Harem ruined EER for me.

frostcrystal, vlue, Japorea and 12 others like this.
  6. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably that's why most of the harem novels are in the (fantasy)past... so moral stuffs doesn't really exists and easily altered... on the other end CN novels doesn't really matter after all an amoeba more complex than most of their characters combined...

7. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite when the writer forgets characters for like a few hundred chapters then like nothing happens they mention them with full original weight on the MC's mind without any context :'D

Kuro_0ni, mir, Hanada and 2 others like this.
  8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JP harems are all about wish fulfillment. Nothing else to be explained.
    CN harems are all about group cultivation. You rarely see protagonist who stop cultivating for the top just for their partner or partners.
    KR harems are all about suffering memory loss. Why do harems in KR always somehow end up with them in an estranged (neutral) relationship or overly vague conclusions?

soldieroffortune813 likes this.
  9. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I don't like harems, loli stuff, and NTR.
    And yes I understand, I'm a loyal person, and I would like my partner to be loyal to me too.
    And it's hard even to divide time between friends, and for a lover, you'd have to do so much more.
    I understand different views and customs, especially in ancient times, but now, it's a different time period.
    I know that women and men both go to extremes sometimes when their partner cheats
    Unless it's consensual, even if it is, I don't think the harem would be completely peaceful...

Araenn, imK, J0HNL8 and 2 others like this.
  10. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I think this theme should be a new category... I mean every CN novel where the heroine reborns into the (fantasy)past the first challenge is that get a foothold in her family like kill her half-siblings, their mothers, her father ect... depends on who ruined her life...

imK and mir like this.
  11. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem novels are generally wish-fullfilling cancer for multiple reasons.

1: A character this close to the MC needs tremendous development and effort to get right. You would need AT LEAST three of them. These authors can't even write a single one.

2: These fantasy societies are copy and paste from medival human societies with some extra. Most not even a little bit interresting. Polygamy is just thrown in as trashy justification why the MC doesn't ditch half of the overglorified flesh lights.

3: Harem protagonists are overpowered as fuck while being as bland as a rock. The difficulty that would come with juggling two women... ahahahaha. No way they would have to deal with that challenge. Ever.

4: Wrong genre. These novels usually are not romance, but action adventure. Which means they don't have the time to deal with more than MAYBE one well developed side character if they don't want to bone their already fucked pacing and flow.

5:
    Good joke. All societies where it is "common", as in super rare, on earth women have less rights than the chair you are sitting on. And these women are still busy cat fighting for the top position. Cuz no woman is fine with being the second in line. Also all of these societies are somewhere in the shitter, or busy getting rid of any form of polygamy. These socities are all heavily religious too. Which is still the main cause of misogyny on earth. These fantasy societies have female priests, often even relatively high ranking ones. Lul. Guess my daily dose of misinformation and ignorance isn't comming from the climate change deniers camp today.

Oh, another comment with the intellectual merit of a flat earther conspiracy theory. We should make a seperate forum for those.

akak, vlue, imK and 2 others like this.
  12. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The existence of harem stories are just wishfulfillment bullshit of people that want that sort of stuff to happen to them. Of course there's gonna be no cheating if it's written to succumb to the fantasies of the reader.

Araenn and imK like this.
  13. IndusEla

IndusEla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, so damn much. I'm alright with polygamous relationships because all the people in that relationship love all the other members, it's acceptable. In harem tho, one person gets every ass and he/she is allowed to keep adding more and more people while the other harem members are just sitting around with low screen time.
    Reverse harem, normal harem, whatever - it all sucks.

imK and mir like this.
  14. Jasonyt

Jasonyt Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Morals are a society’s (culture’s) creation. Though this is yelled loudly by to many people to shut others up, but it does hold a lot of truth. Something else that holds a lot of truth is you control what you consume. I like CN novels that contain more exposition than action, a hard find; but I ask others to help me find them instead of complaining about the ones I do not like.

TL;DR: Complain less and ask others to help find what you like more.

15. Aldis

Aldis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem tag is totally turn me off. The wish fulfilling is too great on it, especially if the protagonist is male and your usual 'average man'. Unless a charm magic on works, the way female characters surrounding this so-called-average-boy is weird too. Maybe I just don't like how the author make the female characters like that.

I once search specific genre (forgot what) and when I turned harem tag off I almost got nothing lol

akak, Araenn, imK and 2 others like this.
  16. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd argue CNs have too much exposition, and especially at the wrong time. I'm a world builder myself, and love seeing a well developed setting. But finding that in a CN, and not dumped at the totally wrong time? The last two I read which had a good setting turned into dumpsterfires around the middle (MoE), or horribly messed up the end (CoS). As for standard cultivation novels? 99.5% garbage, and the rest mediocre. Divine throne of primordial blood should be alright... but that's as good as it gets from my experience.

17. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fiction. You're like asking why people walk or use sword etc in sci fi movies.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  18. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it’s meaningless to talk about “how it would even work”, since that’s just nitpicking and should be placed under group dynamics. See Sevens, where the MC’s harem isn’t harmonious at all even by the end, and the best it got is that there weren’t any open conflicts (in their generation); it’s still a pretty enjoyable harem. Though a number of them don’t feature much by the end and serve pretty much as political connections, the members who do at least get focused on have significant contributions alongside the MC. What’s important is how it’s done. Group dynamic is one part of this, the other is their role and contributions in the plot. As for all the talk about realism and whether or not it’s morally right, that can just go in the trash bin for how significant it is to whether or not harems are fine. Hating harems is the same as hating action or comedy or whatever other trait a story can have. Hating it for wish fulfillment? I suppose you’d hate any kind of adventure story for the same reason.

It the harem can simply be summed up at the end of the story as a checklist of people the MC has fucked/married, it’s pretty terrible. That’s the lowest standard for enjoying a harem, and whenever I see someone asking what the final tally is for a harem at a novel’s end, I can’t help but think that’s all the story really amounted for to them. I honestly don’t care for harems where their only significance is to act as a headcount. Some authors “try” to make harem members a bit more significant by having them accomplish something nominally amazing, but it’s always undercut by how it always appears as a participation prize alongside the MC; like the harem members confront this enemy who’s supposed to be a big deal, but not as big a deal as the one the MC is concurrently facing. It’s like they’re just being thrown a bone. At least it’s better than token male teammates/friends who place even lower in the totem pole. “Being part of the harem” should just be a little spice to add to a character, not their entire identity.

Kuro_0ni and imK like this.
  19. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Despise ?

No, but it seriously degrades the story when over done, mainly when mc ends up with tens of women, and annoying when it's only us readers who are able to keep up with the count and their names ( f**k you know you went overboard when you can't even remember how many you put there).

More than harem I hate Loli, I don't care how you twist it, seeing a little girl with a blushed face in bikini and in awkward angles is just wrong!!. I know japan has a earlier marriage age but personally comic or anime pedophilia is more revolting than watching cannibalism.

20. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like harem ending. It pains me when author spends much time building up their relationship, only for the guy to rejects the girls in the end. Might as well not waste time by building up relationship with many girls if they're going to get rejected in the end anyway and just focus on one girl.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Harry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.