Lots of novels getting "poached" recently?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by riririn, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno if this is the right place to put this, but I noticed a number of novels that I follow have recently gotten updates on NU from totally different translators. By this, I mean Group A has been translating Novel A consistently and they're on chapter 50. Then, Group B uploads chapter 51 a day after Group A posts chapter 50. However, Group A hasn't said anything about dropping the novel and it hasn't been a month yet. I'm confused because I thought this was against NU policies and I'm kind of frustrated as a reader and on behalf of the translators, because I would rather read translations all from the same site, especially if they have quality translations. As a translator, I don't like that someone else can come in and take a novel that I was working on even if I've been keeping consistent updates. Anyways, I was hoping someone can clear it up for me as to how come these releases are allowed and maybe the reasoning behind why people are starting to translate novels that still have active translators :/
    these thoughts as a translator are hypothetical by the way because a) my novel hasn't been poached and b) I'm getting closer to inactive translator status... but I still don't like the idea of it >.<

baka8roukanako likes this.
  2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    you can try report that chapter but I dunno if it's going to work.

riririn likes this.
  3. NobleQ

NobleQ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There have been cases were novels were translated by muliple translaters under an agreement, were one would do the odd number chapter and the others the even number chapters to increase the release speed. I don't know if this is the case with the novel you are referring to. In case there is no such agreement, then there is a case of novel stealing, which is against NU policy.

kenar, riririn, blues86 and 5 others like this.
  4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    there is no policy except for users requesting for novel pick ups. Multiple translators can independently translate and do whatever they want. Translators don't work for Novel Updates. It is common courtesy to not do that, but none of this has to actually be followed. If you feel that one translator isn't translating a novel well enough or fast enough, you are always able to do it yourself. you typically see anime and manga get multiple fan translator groups working on the project. it is only when it is licensed in English where you pretty much have to stop. We don't own anything and we have to remember that. we are not entitled exclusive dibbs on translating anything. in my opinion, competition drives better quality. although, I would much rather read and not have to translate anything.

It does make it annoying keeping track of which chapter I am on when multiple releases of the same chapter come out.

Kuro_0ni, runsing, Pyoo and 2 others like this.
  5. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    If the novels you’re talking about are Chinese, then it might be a case of translator 2 buying the English license for the series then telling translator 1 to stop in a legal manner.

baka8roukanako and riririn like this.
  6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    either report them to a mod using NU (not NUF) functionalities or make a post where instead of being vague as a misty shit storm, you ask, if the actual group drop it and if any person as actual info on it

riririn likes this.
  7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is merely an index. The rules are to stop NUF users from posting pickup requests for actively translated novels. NU does not in and of itself regulate novel "poaching". The only time I recall NU ever removing a link to a TLer's site is when it was a rehost or paywalled.

As an example, two translators contested whose project Stunning Edge was for months. NU always linked to both site's releases, even when one lagged behind the other.

It's even in the forum rules. "That said, Novel Updates does not endorse any form of 'dibs' or reservations on projects."

riririn likes this.
  8. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I guess I was misunderstanding it? This is what I was referencing when I mentioned the policy (there's a link to it on the add release page), but I now realize it hasn't been updated in some time.

I guess it kinda just sucks if another translator decides to pick up a project in the middle but you still want to work on it :/ thanks for the responses everyone :)

bloodmage and Kuro_0ni like this.
  9. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Just report to admin, those links will be removed.

riririn likes this.
  10. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not always the translator's fault. I was translating a novel before for personal consumption, it was bad (quality-wise because it was a hasty work) and decided to share, it's not like I had a lot of visitors anyway, but I told my readers not to link it to NU, but someone went on and did it anyway. I had to delete all chapters and share it with a few people from a private twitter instead.

riririn likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    This link is up to date, anyone that is saying it is wrong is talking nonsense without actually bothering to read the rules.

Report any chapter that has broken the rules and it will be promptly be removed by a mod as soon as they see your report.

Kuro_0ni and riririn like this.
  12. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think anyone would mind if someone just translated a few chapters and wanted to share them. However, constantly translating a few chapters ahead of the other translator will only make people question the person's motive. I don't think I need to mention about the negative impact of such a behaviour.

13. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    If the other person is posting up barely edited MTL, you could post your version of barely edited MTL (even though its wasting time that you could translate properly). That might deter the poacher.

Under the current rules, you can translate 12 chapters, and a poacher can come in and post barely edited MTL for the 13th chapter and be listed on NU. Since this has happened to me recently. I've been trying to think of what to do. Should I post my own version of low-level effort MTL so there's an active translator? And I know, the best use of my time right now is just to let it go. Or maybe, petition that the chapter requirement for active translator be lowered from 30 chapters. I don't know.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  14. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh, there are so many books haven't been translated. I don't understand why people want to fight each other over one book.

baka8roukanako and riririn like this.
  15. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The poacher doesn't have to build up an existing readership

A more charitable option would be the 2nd translator is unhappy with the frequency of the first translator's updates.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    riririn likes this.
  16. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony @Westeller is this true?

17. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    NU doesn't judge quality of MTL and you have to "translate over 30 releases according to the raw site for the series" to be considered the active translator.

https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

Although if it takes 30 chapters to prove you're a dedicated translator for the series, I wonder why the rule isn't, the poacher has to start at chapter 1 too if they wanted to be linked or at least wait 30 days for no releases to make it fair.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  18. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that, but I don't think they allow "you can translate 12 chapters, and a poacher can come in and post barely edited MTL for the 13th chapter and be listed on NU."

Because of this rule "No, you cannot translate chapter 1 then do a chapter jump to chapter 50. Your chapter 1 would be accepted while your chapter 50 wouldn’t. "

What happened to you might be a mistake. So I wanted to find out from them.

19. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    If a novel doesn't have an active translator (one of the requirements for active translator is 30 releases according to raw site), then a novel don't have any protection from poachers.

I messaged Tony to make sure it was intentional.

20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates is a directory of all ongoing fan translations of east asian novels -- or free translations, as the definition of "fan" has been somewhat loosened by the increasing legitimacy (and commercialization) in the community. The keyword here is "all". Novel Updates is fundamentally against the exclusion of *any* translation project, for *any* reason. While there is a policy against poaching, it was only created in response to malicious attacks on translators and blatant theft. It is not intended to discourage multiple groups from "competing" over the same project, and has many allowances specifically for that reason. Novel Updates doesn't play sides in disputes like that. It tracks translation projects.

Those necessary allowances do, on the other hand, mean that some of the poaching the policy was meant to prevent slips through. I'm sorry to say that nothing can be done in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.