LCD Magic Industry Empire

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a spell, but a magic machine that does the separation thing.

I think the magic circles thing opens the possibility of doing anything if you draw enough circles.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting idea!
    Most magic machines were based on an actual machine. I do not believe any machine actually would do that. At least not (1) one individual machine, maybe multiple machines. It’s more of a process than a machine. It’s not as straight forward as a blast furnace.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  3. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While it's definitely a multi step process, there's nothing stopping them from making a large chambered device where actions happen in 1 chamber, then materials are then moved to the next chamber (or sorted out) etc... They're probably not up to the magic circles than can do this yet, but once they have circles that can automatically turn and turn things off (which they're about to) this opens that possibility up.

Cutter Masterson and ElefantVerd like this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m a strong believer that a technician expertises is more valuable than a machine. For instance which is more valuable gold or a goldsmith. As to refining anything gold or aluminum you still need a chemist to refine it. An engineer would only have the bare minimum of experience to deal with this type of procedures. I believe this is outside our MC skill set.

lunarshadow likes this.
  5. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the engineering. A Chemical Engineer, for example... But apparently that's not the case for our MC. And, in this case, the only possibility is that he didn't sleep in chemistry classes...

lunarshadow and Cutter Masterson like this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if he didn’t sleep in his chemistry class. Refining aluminum is something you don’t normally do in a classroom. Also the chemicals needed to separate aluminum from other elements is not easy to gather and that’s if your not counting the fact that most people have never seen the natural state of certain elements/ ores. Take it to the next level using bucket chemistry due to volume. This alone could take years. You see the pit falls he has to overcome.
    It’s like a blacksmith learning to become an engineer. That is what the MC is asking for but these people have been trained in this trade with their hands for years. Not by university, not even by a school. No book knowledge. Now going from blacksmithing to lath, than to a press. It’s like making the tool to build a tool. To build the next tool in order to build the material needed to build the machine. It’s a process. Also you need to consider power at the level of a hydroelectric plant. It’s almost as difficult as building a microchip factory/ plant.

ElefantVerd and lunarshadow like this.
  7. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    Power at least isn't a concern other than cost. Enough high quality magic crystals and you get the power output of a nuclear power plant. No idea what the exact cost would be, but given costs in earlier chapters I'd guesstimate between 10-100k gold coins a month.

ElefantVerd and Cutter Masterson like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that’s interesting. Magic crystals be equivalent to nuclear power. I always assume something less powerful like next level lithium batteries. If that’s the case the crystals is the way to go for the short term. The long term I still like hydroelectric because in the end water is more abundant than crystals.
    Now if he could charge up a crystal using electricity. That would be pretty incredible.

ElefantVerd and lunarshadow like this.
  9. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling that he's completely going to ignore electricity and instead treat magical energy like electricity. Right now he's using them the same as lithium batteries, but remember these low level crystals are powering level 1-3 spell formations for a single month. His biggest contribution to this world has been designed formations that are magically efficient to lower costs. But a single low level crystal is able to power a level 1 spell formation device for about a month. A low level crystal. That's a crap ton of magical energy. That's probably more magical energy than say a level 5 mage has in their body all at once. The trick is if I've been reading this story correctly, there's no way to tap that energy directly by a mage to fuel their spells, but can only be used via formations. Now remembering that Arch Mages can cast spells that in essence level a city. Just imagine how much raw power must be in a high quality magic crystal.

His beauty squad just researched "wireless" magic transmission. Think about the last chapter that just came out. He now has a way to directly send magic over a distance to activate devices. He could build a magical power plant that could fuel the city wirelessly in the future. All he needs now is to figure out a way to "Recharge" lower level magic crystals.

ElefantVerd and Cutter Masterson like this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, if he can figure out the recharge potential it would revolutionize the world. As to wireless power. If it’s anything like electricity. The loss of power could be a great negative factor in this endeavor. The power loss in power lines is quite high. If distance doesn’t become a determining factor. That would place magic crystals at even higher level than even electricity.

lunarshadow and ElefantVerd like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    What I can not understand is why everyone treat magic crystals like batteries, especially when they have the potential to be nuclear plant equivalent power source. They even place iron mines ahead of crystals mines. I guess that is why the MC was so eager to get his hands on them.

lunarshadow likes this.
  12. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of this way, before the MC a cooling formation for a building cost about 100 gold per month to maintain via magic crystal. Add to the fact mages pretty much only think towards power and combat, that means crystals are more sought after for military use than social or economic use. And most mages don't want anything to with mercantile endeavors, so your private companies have no real use for magic crystals since you need mages to create formations AND have to pay silly amounts of gold to maintain them.

Add to the fact you can't use them instantly in a battle, and they're probably more geared to defensive installations or siege weaponry.

tkato and Cutter Masterson like this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Make sense. I guess the stigma is like our nuclear power here. Nuclear power gets such a bad rep. Which has no bases in truth, especially compared to other existing power sources. Almost as bad as cannabis.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess the new magic machine to come is the magic spinning wheel and loom. As to washing or dyeing. They probably don’t need a machine for it.

15. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Now author-sensei has done it. The Magic Fan is 10+ cm tall and less than 5kg in weight:

It was because of Xu Yi’s explanation that everyone understood that they couldn’t look down on this Magic Fan that was only over ten centimeters tall and weighed less than five kilograms.

Let us talk about 10 cm tall fans. This is a USB fan:
    [​IMG]

The grid is 15 cm wide, and the fan is probably 16~17 cm tall, with the weight being 0,35 kg. So, the Magic Fan is smaller than this. It's something like...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    11 cm wide, 14 cm tall, 0,15 kg.

I think author-sensei numbers are all over the place, like most Chinese novels. Probably the Magic Fan is 0,5 m (50 cm) tall, like this one:

[​IMG]
    This is 30 cm wide, and weights ~2,2 kg.
    [​IMG]
    Another 30 cm fan.

But I would make a 40 cm Magic Fan:
    [​IMG]

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree the measurements seem a little off, but what through me. Was he implying that his design was the benchmark standard that everyone had to be. I understand that he mathematically deduced all the angles, but that doesn’t mean a thing. Although his crystal efficiency is better than his competitors. That still leaves room for improvements and other variables. For instance let’s say they increase the size of the fan while using half the power the MC fan use is still worth while. So instead of 3 days it’s a day and a half. I can see it still working. The major benefit I see with the MC fan is his quality and his guarantee. Besides all that I find it hilarious how the fan boy in him over industry scared away everyone. I’d be scared too.

17. lunarshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear anytime a Chinese author starts using numbers I just tune out since they never EVER have anything to do with reality. They must just use RNG to decide what to put in their stories. Anyway I think I zoned out this chapter cause I couldn't take the author seriously. Maybe if they were making much larger fans. Maybe.

tkato and Cutter Masterson like this.
  18. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Like when the MC punches someone on a city, and the victim is sent five kilometers, and they are all inside a central square or something. Or a stadium.

When they are inside a closed space, the author suddenly became modest, and the MC's punches send his enemies just a few hundred meters ahead.

I wonder if the 50 kilometers of roads the company is building are really 50 kilometers in the head of the author.

On a side note, apparently our MC won't introduce new weapons or armor, but will only make efficient ways to build the old ones. That is a lot less hypocritical from him.

lunarshadow and Cutter Masterson like this.
  19. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree 50 kilometers seems like a stretch. Even in modern day road ways could take months to years to build a road. I’ve seen some roads take decades. I mean if everything was perfect than maybe. No bad weather. No obstructions like big rocks, trees or rivers. Even if it was all plains. The concrete normally takes days to harden, but that’s ideal. For maximum results you need a month. If they built gravel roads than maybe with enough men. 17 century work crew of about 400 could get a gravel road done around 8 weeks. You would need around 800+ men per mile a day with medieval technology. So with 31 miles it would take a little over a month if there we’re no complications.
    As to the armor. I’m still shaking my head. (3) magic punch presses to build armor. Even if the presses could stamp out multiple parts. The stretching would warp some parts. I’m not even going to go into galling, pinching or shakers when your dealing with multiple items in one punch. If the 3 magic punch press were each individual dies. Let’s say helmet, chest and legs. One single piece each is possible and likely. Or each press is responsible for a certain size medium, large and extra large. Now that seems unbelievable.
    No matter how you look at it 3 magic punch press is not enough. Even in a modern day assembly line. It would be ridiculous. The author should have stuck to magic. With industry you get limitations.
    This is even worst than having plot armor. Instead of fate being controlled. It’s actually the physical world being manipulated. I wish the author did a bit more research. Than double the needed time, men and equipment. Than it becomes more realistic. That’s the minimum needed. Especially considering this is a medieval era timeline.

lunarshadow and ElefantVerd like this.