Discussion How to Treat Your Favorite Translator More Nicely

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by flowingcloud, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: This does not apply to every translator and just my personal opinions.

Do you have a favorite translator or perhaps a favorite novel (which means you must like the translator as well)? Ever want more chapters or the translator didn't release the chapter for some reason? Don't worry, I'm here to give you some tips on how to improve the translator-reader relationship!

Tip #1: Don't ask the translator for chapters.

Let me share a screenshot (that I'm posting without permission).
    upload_2020-3-11_16-41-51.png

It's not an urban myth folks. Translators have feelings. Although you may phrase it in the nicest way possible, 99.9% fan translators hate it when people ask when the next chapter is (including me). If they didn't post a chapter for a week or two, just wait. Generally, a good time to ask is after a month, because most translators will post something explaining their messages. Nani!? Translators have a life? Well, yeah. Just like other normal human beings. Most likely they were sick or just simply forgot to post. One of my translator friends even delays the chapter an extra day per message they receive for when next chapter is. I'm sure that's not what you want as a reader. Be nice, and if you do ask, don't ask when the next chapter is, but how the translator is doing. They know what you're asking for, so just avoid the topic and place your concerns not on when the next chapter is, but how the translator is doing.

Tip #2: Be nice.

I mean this is just sorta an extension off the first tip. You'd be surprised how many readers are rude as f*ck for no reason. Complaints vary from "translation speed to slow" to pretending to be the translator and making "suggestions" on how to improve based on Google/any machine translation. Oh lord, I swear to god I'm tilted when some f*ck askes me why I didn't translate a certain line in a certain way when it's completely wrong the machine translation way. J-Just no. Yeah, but honestly translating for most of us is a hobby. Receiving negative comments just ruins our mood and either makes us translate more slowly (or not translate at all) or we don't try as hard when we translate (and thus lower quality).
    On the contrary, if you're nice and comment even a simple "Thanks for the chapter!", this provides positive feedback for the translator and makes them feel like their work is rewarded. Simple psychology I know. No need to thank me, I am 200IQ.

Tip #3: Donate to their Patreon/Paypal/(whatever alternative)

Yeah, can't get any more obvious than this. Money makes the world spin. Imagine getting one less boba or one less coffee and instead use those $5 to help donate to the translator's Patreon. The translator REALLY knows you like the novel (and their translations). If you and all the other readers combine together, the translator might increase the translating speed (if there isn't a goal of course. If they have a goal, then you guys can work together to increase the schedule). Personally, I'm like 50-50 swayed by Patreon. When I have a Patreon, I feel obligated a bit to a least meet my schedule and maybe translate a few extra chapters for more Patreon readers who support me. I even know translators that use that money to just hire other translators to help translate more chapters.

By the way, if you're like what you've read so far, please support me and my translations on Patreon!
    Patreon Link <-- Link here! (totally not a self-insert ad)

Tip #4: Get to know the translator.

I can't say all translators have a Discord server, but I know like a good amount of them do. Don't limit yourself to the comment section, join their Discord server and community! Don't just join and lurk. The most awkward thing for a translator is when you join and there's no response after someone personally greets you. Most translators are pretty open people on Discord, so if you chat with them, you'll get to see what kind of person they are and how they go about translating. (Oh, but don't bug them to translate cause that ticks most of them off, even if they're playing games or some useless activity. A lot of translators need to get into the "mood to translate".) Also, a bonus for you is that you usually get updates first when the translator has issues IRL or something. You can be there and support the translator to get over their crisis and be a real human being.

Guess that's all the tips for today. Most of these are common sense, but even though like 90% of the readers are nice, it's like the other 10% that ruin it for the rest. Stop being the plague of this world. If you don't have something nice to say, just don't comment/post it. If you need a place to vent, don't vent on other human beings. That just makes you a degenerate. Just remember that the world doesn't revolve around you and translators aren't machines, but people who honestly have the same problems as you. Aight, I'm done here. Come at me with your nitty picky comments now. I swear someone is going to just go to every point and find some stupid fault about it.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing as you're the translator for loli witch, thanks for translating that. I've been enjoying it immensely!

3. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always appreciate even a simple 'thanks for the chapter'. Nothing makes me want to finish a chapter more than a reminder that people are actually reading said chapters.

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    It's funny how no matter how the views look on a chapter, I always gauge its success by the number of comments it gets. Heck, at one point a long time ago I even scrounged around on the aggregator sites just to read the comments people were leaving there.

5. flowingcloud

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg, I've totally done the same. I like hate aggregator sites, but I've totally gone to one to see the comments lmao.

6. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh God, I never thought a reader like that would really exist...until I received an email myself. Reader literally shat at my translation saying how 'awkward' my English structures are and that she/he has mtl-ed the whole book and was willing to help edit the entire work I've done so far.... She offered one example (which of course didn't even come close to the actual meaning of the raw). I was... sigh......Mind you, English is my native language, and it was overall, just a frustrating experience as I tried to respond calmly and nicely back to her.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, just a question, do you translate things on Kirara Scantasia from time to time? Pretty sure I saw your name on the credits a few times. (though maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me)

Just wanted to say I really love a lot of stuff from Kirara, so I'd be really happy if you were there! ^^)/

And if not... Well, that's embarrassing... :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Good luck translating whatever you do in that case! xD

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Get back to work slaves. :blobconfused:

9. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, just open patreon/donation and disable comment and msg. Easy solution.

But when you have regular payment from patreon, respect the people that invested in you and translate within schedule.

If donation, do as you like.

If you are doing it for free, disable comment and msg. You dun need those acknowledgement and gratitude right? you are not that starved for attention right?

c.decora, elengee, imK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    I get you its like when you decide to do dishes by yourself, then when youre almost there, you get told to wash the dishes.

Motivation instantly disappears.

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

So... is locking them up in the basement and whipping chapters out of them not a good idea? Asking for a friend... >.>

whitenight2013, imK and kenar like this.
  12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I would enjoy that, but for other reasons.

Ddraig and whitenight2013 like this.
  13. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I stop reading a novel when a translator had a sook after being asked when the next chapter was.

I replied with give a ETA when the chapter is and if you can't make it give a heads up. Then a stupid fanboy reader said "it's a hobby, not a job".

It fine to have a life and if you can't translate say so beforehand and not after.

imK likes this.
  14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    like half of the translators I know have that written all over their websites. "I'm a lazy person with a life, let me be" or something

15. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid interactions with translators mostly... I mean I'm not gonna risk them stopping their translation by being an ass but I am prone to wanting more soo it's best if I don't test my self control by communicating with them.

My favorite translator is Deathblade, mainly cause his translations are always great quality even if I'm not a huge fan of his current novel lol never thought a novel would be too murderhobo extraordinare for my tastes but I now know otherwise. Still read it just in small doses...

imK likes this.
  16. Thecomicgeek

Thecomicgeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite translators are Defiring and Skythewood (hope I remember that right) for great quality and imo personality.

As for translators I dislike, havent really encountered one. Or maybe the guy who took over for knights and magic counts? .. I loved the book. But his/her translation was a bit on the horrid side... The amount of hate the translator was getting in the comments were scary. I did offer to help to fix the work (grammar/sentence) before posting the final product got no reply. But reading some of the comments now I guess I understand if it was perceived as an insult... I'm literally cringing at myself... I should just stick to saying "thank you's" :censored:

Defiring likes this.
  17. flowingcloud

Reading List:
    Link
    Good eye! Yeah, I love Kirara stuff and I even subscribe to the physical mags for Manga Time Kirara and Manga Time Kirara Carat. You should join our Discord server. I mainly translate Koisuru Asteroid that has an anime right now from Carat and Umiiro March which is a cool series I found in the main MTK magazine. Good to know this niche magazine series has fans.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye! I'm mainly reading Gochi Usa, Comiga, Mahoukare and HatsuRail right now though... Never gave the asteroid a shot! >.<

I'm like, that one person that still drops comments in the scantasia's site! xD

Joining discord is scawy though, too time consuming... T.T

And aye! I really love it! Wish more people translated their series! \(^^)/

flowingcloud likes this.
  19. flowingcloud

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh lol, mboi Mann sure will be happy to hear that someone likes HatsuRail. You should give KoiAsu a shot! I think the site is just there. We mostly look at Mangadex comments lol. Our Discord is pretty nice, so I'm sure you'll have a great time. You should join our group to translate some manga. We don't have a schedule or anything, so you just translate whenever you want.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hatsurail is cute! xD

I might try KoiAsu later though, just uhn... So much stuff to catch up to! >.<
    (also, it's 1am rn... >.>)

As for translating... Uhn... I haven't translated a chapter of my novel in a few months... I'll pass on that one... Maybe once I get my schedule better! >.<

Also, my Japanese is still pretty terrible... It's why I look at translations instead of raws, most of the time... >.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.