Question Reverend insanity story depth... ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Zanzatora, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people love the story because of villain MC who stays true to himself - it is a very unique experience and there no many similar novels out there. The cultivation system is unique and well thought out. Also, there is a big plot twist at the end of almost every volume.
    So, unexpected plot twists which happen almost each time MC uses his main Gu ability don't add "depth" to you? Em, the "depth" in the fictional story has nothing to do with some shit philosophy or existential crisis.

2. OneTwoThree

OneTwoThree New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    could you give some examples of such tales?

3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is basically the origin story of Humans in the novel called Legends of Ren Zhu

4. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read it here: reverend-insanity.fandom.com/wiki/Ren_Zu
    It's an extremely good story, since it can be understood both literally and figuratively.

5. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my friends heavily recommended, so I read the later part...
    Having to admit that FY did change, so it's not impossible as I thought.

6. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Great Dao Commander.
    MORE oriented towards sect politics.
    Pretty realistic xianxia novel.

7. Asterism

Asterism Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I left this site for a while, but I think you didn't read his philosophy correctly. Obviously working together can give you strength, but FY criticizes it as making team members dependent on each other, and being unable to rely on yourself makes you "weak". You see this oh so clearly in the mortal teams.

Fang Yuan can work together with other people. And he is one of the best teamates ever! If he's not trying to kill you.

In this world individual power is the most important. The higher your cultivation, the more exponential your power. Sure maybe a group of rank 2's could overpower one rank 3. And 3's vs 4. But it's basically impossible for a rank 4's to even stand a chance against a rank 5. You see lord sky crane just destroying an entire village by himself. At rank 6 immortal, you have infinite primeval essence, and mortals basically can't touch you. You can activate tens of thousands of rank 5 mortal gu at once.

At rank 9, a venerable is undefeatable to rank 8s. Because they are the one's leading the human race into the future whether it be for good or bad.

---

At the same time, I just gotta shake my head. It's like we aren't reading the same novel.. I've never found enjoyment out of a japenese novels that I've except for oregairu. Most of the protagonists thinking makes my brain cells want to commit suicide.

What philosphy? What existential crisis? All of that doesn't matter if you are weak, and a nobody. You have to be strong to control your fate. Philosophies and morals are privileges of the strong. The weak will die following them. Take the venerable after spectral soul. After millions of humans died, one strong cultivator became venerable and prefered using non-violent methods to do it. If he wasn't so strong, he woulda been destroyed by his enemies. Take Shang Xin Ci, she's a genuinely good human being, and she can tolerate Fang Yuan.

That's one of the underlying philosophies of this novel, and the author has painted a beautiful and cruel world which is unfortunately hampered by being a webnovel and being translated. This world has hundreds of more potential than LOTR.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    GDLiZy likes this.
  8. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your point. However, think of this: Rank 9 venerable is indeed unrivalled, yet Heavenly Court still stands after being attacked by three in a row. Why? Because no matter how strong someone is, they can't do everything. "There is no strongest Gu, only strongest Gu Master", because a Gu Master can use multiple Gu.
    FY had to rely on his minions to do many things, yet he's too hypocrite to admit it. That's why I criticize him.

9. Aindorin

Aindorin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    İt's true that even rank 9 venerables can't easily destroy Heavenly Court but heavenly cort is not someting that is just bunch of rank 8 immoratals. Heavenly cort have the protection from both fate and heaven's will. İt have 3 rank 9 venerables foundation to.

So it's not that abnormal that Heavenly Court can defend itself agaist a rank 9 venerable.

FY is always trying to do things himself why? Because there is no one he can completely trust. A humman's heart is surely someting can change. No one can be reliable as much as himself. İt's the truth.

Fang Yuan is agaist the Heavenly Court, Longevity Heaven, most of the Southern Border, Fate and even heaven's will. He cannot possibly fail at any point. He can't trust people. İf he does and got betrayed he is completely doomed.

He can't beat Heavenly Court without help to. So in the end he needs allies, not friends.
    "FY had to rely on his minions to do many things, yet he's too hypocrite to admit it. That's why I criticize him."

These minnions are helpting because of interest to. So it's in the end making people help him is his power to.

10. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost no one helps you for free. These minions are helping due to the benefit he gives them, so does friends and allies.
    FY can trust no one, that's right, but he still had a lot of things that he needs others to do it for him. I don't criticize him for having the help of others, I criticize him for not admit it.
    The Legend of Ren Zu had a chapter that says: lying to yourself is one of the stupidest things humans can do.
    P/S: I don't quite agree that "He cannot possibly fail at any point". The SAC can help him fix almost any mistake, especially after he gained the Killer Move "Spring Autumn Must Succeed"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    SamStrike likes this.
  11. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This can be summarized by one quote:

12. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    Just some headscratchers:
    - The story said that Ren Zu used the ten corpses of his children to create the first group of human. But didn't Desolate Moon leave no corpse?
    - Gu of the Rule Path based on opposite concepts. I think Rule Gu and Regulation Gu aren't the opposite.

13. Hiddena0

Hiddena0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like one piece where over hundreds of chapters, chapters and more intricate situations develop. But I even find the more simple mind games/ fights to be really interesting so idk why it has to have depth?

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem to be missing the point of the novel.
    I didn't read ahead with spoilers and you should put your posts in spoilers if you are adding them
    But you seem to ignore all the times Fan Yuan had gotten betrayed
    It is pretty convenient of you
    [​IMG]

Fan Yuan is both a transmigrator and a reincarnator
    I am very interested in his first life to be honest when he was naive and "nice"

15. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember that my questions are within the translated content.
    And no, I didn't ignore times when Fan Yuan had gotten betrayed. "trust no one" and "work with no one" are two different matters. And FY claimed he did both, while in fact he didn't do the latter, that's why I call him a hypocrite.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    How did he work with anyone?
    The whole point of the story was that he starts planning to betray everyone from day 1 of their alliance agreement.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  17. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    He claimed he worked alone, yet he had a lot of minions.
    It's like the director of a company claimed that all money is created by his efforts alone. I call that bullshit.
    Good news: The author published another novel, it means he wasn't infected.

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You know that what you are saying is contradictory.
    Working with someone and having someone work for you are not the same thing.
    Fan Yuan does work with people but never with his real identity and most of the time he is forced to and doesn't really choose to like the Lang Ya sect.
    Even lone cultivators have slaves and the likes.
    You need living creatures in your immortal aperture to survive.
    No one can survive without minions.
    Although he can now create a clone but its impossible to create thousands.

You are asking the story to break its own rule to fit your own narrow defintion

Vorpal likes this.
  19. fanwithlight

Reading List:
    Link
    The point is that he didn't success by work alone, unlike his claim of "never rely on others"
    Many times in the novel he saved others because he still needed them.

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on, give me a break.
    You want the story to be those boring cultivation novels where the protagonist stays alone in a cave for 100 years?
    He uses others, it is different from working with others or relying on others.

The story focuses a lot on trade.
    Personally, I am not a fan of the all Jack of All Trades character, to be honest
    Interacting with other characters makes for a much better story.