Talk about SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Mar 15, 2020.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a friend who need so guides on SSD.

I'll explains the key components on SSD.

1st is controllers, they are the brains of SSD. I recommend marvell controller, they are the best but not budget. sadly, not sure about others cause I only buys marvell controler and UNIC controller to support china, for motherland. honestly UNIC is quite good, but I always buys the low end ones cause I'm poor.

2nd is nand. there are 7 nand makers micron, Samsung, SK hynix, intel, Toshiba, western digital and UNIC.
    highly recommend UNIC to support china, they are really good, it's used in c200pro. but those are expansive. I usually used Micron last time but now mostly using UNIC downgraded nand which is by some unknown brands.

than non essential parts.

ram cache. they are good, with a ram of 1 gb can really speed things up. I don't use cache, cause they are expensive, but you should get SSD with cache, don't follow me. I build my own SSD and it's difficult to find controller boards with a ram cache for DIY builds.

SLC cache. they are non recommended, all SLC cache now days are MLC mimicking SLC. as SLC don't exist any more. and even MLC mimicking SLC are rare as fuck.

capacitor. used to be enterprise grade ssd. but.... not anymore. well capacitor protect data lost for power cuts. a good example in consumer grade is E200P.

USSAGE.
    OP, you should make a partition on your disk to prevent your disk gets full. companies like Kingston likes giving disk huge OP.

to @Maid Chan if you sill don't understand there are @lnv @Jeebus and @runsing comments below.

If I have to recommend, all of Hikvision c2000 series are good, their E200P are good too.
    support china and buy HIKvision now.

if you are china haters, Western digital blue SN500 use to be good untill they nerf it and make it slower I think they change controller, not sure.
    Toshiba RC 500 is the best value for money now. At least 2 month ago, with so call china and the rest of the world like this, not sure.

EDIT: PLEASE SUPPORT HIKVISION. the company is facing bankruptcy from sanctions from donor trump

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oi is this repply thread for another thread or conversation?

juniorjawz likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a commercial.

Liyus and juniorjawz like this.
  4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, cause thread is easier to be navigated compare to conversation.

I wish it is, I would like it if western digital sent me $$ or at least sent me some HDDs for some texts online.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2020
  5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's amazing how this went from a help thread to a "fishy scam message" you see on emails.

6. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    make sure the write & read speed of the SSD higher cuz you don't want when transfer data in slow mode right?

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    well, I just give up writing details guides on what is a controller for and how is it more important than speeds and how it works. it will take days to write in English and some of the terms might no be accurate. and most of all your would not even understands even after reading at most just reads 1/4 of it.

And westerners usually don't have the concepts of 3D NAND, and NAND layers, and how there are bad/downgraded nand in the markets.
    non-nerd will have hard time understand the different architecture of nand. example bit-line, memories cells and source plates.
    it's like using a bit technical staff people will like, "your speaking alien language." so most people will like, so which one is the best? even after me explaining after 20 page of how SSD works. this is even true in chinese PC nerd community. so In the end the one who read it are the few regulars at the forum even then I believe they already know all of those.

well, Normal consumers no need to know what are xtacking. and what are the 64 level cells and what's not. I'm just lazy too.

8. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Only use sandisk and samsung. So far so good.

9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not looking down on the generals but I doubt people will even understand with visual aids.http://www.ymtc.com/Uploads/video/Xtacking.mp4

10. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people don't know what Quantitative Easing is.

However, everyone seems to understand "Print Money". Except it's not printing money but it's close.

However, not many people can describe how and why it works (or doesn't). Not that it would mattered to most people even though it is quite important.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *was about to report you for being a spam bot*
    *sees that you have a few hundred messages*

... Geez, I need to get out of my paranoia that everyone is a spam bot... I'm finding too many of those these days... >.>

12. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why I just listed a few models. cause there is no point to teach normies about that's affecting IO speed, and how all technology affecting each other.

but hikvision is really heading to bankruptcy lol, look at the stock price before Trump ban Hikvision and after the ban on HIKvision.
    upload_2020-3-16_13-14-16.png
    source https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/business/huawei-us-ban.html