Discussion Why do authors write annoying systems?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldManGu, Apr 1, 2020.

1. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do some authors write super annoying systems? They always try to pit the mc. They will have crappy rewards and take away powers. They will also have a super annoying ai. The mc is also super annoying 90% of the time. They will try to make the mc waste points on dumb things and drag out the story. It’s just annoying filler and I always drop the story.

2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author saw someone else do it, and make money, so they are hoping to do it, it is just that they run out of talent.

Fulminata, Maomaomao, Milanin and 7 others like this.
  3. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most stories are as smart as their authors. Don't expect much from basically amateur writers.

GDLiZy, Maomaomao, Milanin and 8 others like this.
  4. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how the translators decide which novel to translate...

Maomaomao, EcoJakk and OldManGu like this.
  5. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because Navi from LoZ is the original system and she's etched into our subconsciousness.

OldManGu likes this.
  6. OldManGu

Reading List:
    Link
    I can tell that their trying to be funny or clever but their not. They are are just that super annoying person that says a bunch of annoying bs.

Maomaomao likes this.
  7. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's to detract from the lack of sophisticated storyline or imagination to their stories. It would be easier to write too, like following a formula or a recipe...I find it amazingly predictable and boring.>_>

Simple storyline + complicated system = novel I won't bother reading.
    rich storyline + simple system = something I'll read.

Some romance novels follow set patterns as well... *vomits* Its okay when you are young, but once you are more experienced it's just unrealistic and yeah, also predictable. <_<

So yeah...that's what I think.:cookie:

8. OldManGu

Reading List:
    Link
    Had to go look up what that was. I’ve never played LoZ.

9. Eclantro

Eclantro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Op systems and normal systems have been done to death. Authors think they're being subversive by making their systems a faustian thing, but now that trope is growing old.

Maomaomao and OldManGu like this.
  10. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about others, but I go by "OMG, OMG, this is so good, I need to let more people read it!"

11. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same as you who make annoying comment or topic. Just to troll other... Only that.

12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more curious about the prototype for all these CN systems. If I could find out how that first story goes, then perhaps I might understand why AI is annoying, system is rigged, and missions are humiliating.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  13. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I posited the following...pseudo-disciple....Remembering our previous thread...I'll post it here for your convenience: Why do authors write annoying systems?

:)

14. OldManGu

Reading List:
    Link
    How dare you disrespect me! I’m your senior brother. I joined almost 2 years before you. Your just trash with only $1035 and can’t compare to my $12993.

15. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    System? Isn't that for abusing word count? Especially if it paired with game element!:blobhyperthink:

OldManGu likes this.
  16. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But i been here from the start Novel update make to replace batoto.com and Aho-update. Just been register 2 year ago, not been active to much about forum. Lol

17. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    I've gotten extremely bored and bothered by authors who try to add retarded aspects to MC's cheats. Stuff like making System a shitty bastard with a spear up its ass, or making MC's cheat some kind of super desirable object that everyone wants even though it's barely useful half the time, or making a super cheat have the retarded weakness of being discoverable by others.

For the first it's way too many novels with snarky systems.

For the second you should read Lord of Mystics (秘巫之主) where the cheat is a 'analysis' ability yet the strongest and most powerful force in that setting is out to get MC because of it. What a shitty plot. All it does is analyse stuff yet it has all this shitty baggage accompanying it.

The last is most recently bugging me and it's an Original on webnovel.com called Mech Touch where MC's mech designer system is basically an app. It's not a fricken system but an app since everyone can see it. And it seems every somewhat influential force seems to know about it and is a potential enemy. Too much drama. An all-powerful app comes with shitty concealment powers.

It may be just me but I want the old stuff where Cheats were cheats and only there to help the MC. The plot moves aside from this cheat, not around it. There should be drama around MC's actions and personality and the plot, not around this cheat. That's just dumb.

vlue and OldManGu like this.
  18. OldManGu

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve been reading these for around 10 years. I got expelled from reddit sect a few years ago for being to extreme for them and decided to join this sect. I’m the origin of the beginning. My body was born inside the chaos and I came into being. Pangu calls me the Ancient One and Laozi calls me The Greatest Sage. You are just a lowly peasant. I’m going to send you back to the outer sect to clean toilets if you don’t watch yourself.

19. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. Ok ok. You win. Afterall i am an adult. Not a divine being or great sage or legendary human. So as an adult, i need to make a choice that benefits to my family. (lol).

20. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. I hate annoying systems. Especially one that talk back and bicker with the user like a sentient being. And those who gave the mc stupid quests to gain points are also obnoxious. So far the best system for me is one from Magus Warlock.

OldManGu likes this.