Question Guys who dislike harem....are u ok?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Prince of Sadness, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Sadness

Prince of Sadness Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if u would turn down the opportunity to get with multiple women rather than one.... i have a question for you... when are you coming out?

jokes aside I guess it’s ok... i know some of u here want that fairytale love with just one girl and live happily ever after like a disney movie..... but imagine this.... having fairytale love with MULTIPLE girls... thats even better am i right?

and don’t come at me with bla bla bla bla .... even women like to read reverse harem you should see how much books they got with that tag

2. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd rather read about one interesting and complex female lead than 4-6 generic harem members.

Calahan, Araenn, Zelphi and 38 others like this.
  3. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem with harem tags I love it but the stories are sometimes just trash cuz of 1-dimensional character so I just have problem with the writing, not the premise tag wise so yeah i love harem com at me harem haters

4. haweii

haweii [mad scientist in-training] Fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow dude, how old are you?
    Fiction is fiction, reality is reality.

I don't like harems because the characters (male and female) are so superficial and one dimensional, that it is boring

Following your logic, since I also read dark stuff with gore, does it mean that I am a sadist?

Araenn, Zelphi, Shem and 20 others like this.
  5. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones who have problems about harems don't actually hate the genre. They hate it because most harems have trash writing. There are a few decent ones but most of them are shit.

Araenn, Return, xXSB101Xx and 34 others like this.
  6. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like romance and harems are generally poorly written. That said if I am not interested in reading about two people's love life in the middle of my action novel why would I be interested if they throw in more burdens to the story.

7. Esperreal

Esperreal [The Real Esper], [The Specialest Snowflake]

Reading List:
    Link
    Look having just one girl can be hell At times so IRL it would suck but in story I'm fine with it as long as the story is good and the harem members aren’t to bad

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Hanten, Martialegg and asriu like this.
  8. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem with harem, but I wouldn't want one. I would be content with 2-3 wives at max in a fantasy world, but any more than that would just be torture. Besides, the reason most harem-haters dislike harem novels is because most of them are garbage with cookiecutter characters and shallow females that just throw themselves at the MC for the simplest reasons.

9. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't feel too bad; I was told I must gay because I don't like yuri, lmfao.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You ever saw stereotyping comics that joke about women talking too much or thinking and caring about bullshit?
    No one needs 6 times of that and I doubt most can handle 6 times of sex.
    @Edit I did call them stereotyping, as they often overexaggerate, but i can't help but think that I would probably shoot my male colleagues if they spoke as much as female ones.
    @Edit 2. On average.

But honestly, harem's are hated for being absolute fucking garbage rather than for polyamorous relationships per se.
    There needs to be tsundere that's irritating on their own, there needs to be a "shy girl" that actually should be classified as acoustic but japan doesn't like their musicologists, there is tomboyish girl, that's acts like a bro, and actually looks like a bro. And all of this bullshit is thrown into pit of chaos called pussy-like protagonists that solves their life-long problems by being "kinda-nice" but still pussyish.

Major Spoiler about
    Release That Witch
    I read Release That Witch and when second girl was actually not a template+cliche+backstory and MC actually deserved her affection i did not hate him having two spouses anymore.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  11. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    1) That's a spoiler at the end, you need to it put under a spoiler tab.
    2) They aren't "absolutely fucking garbage" as you yourself just pointed out, chill - lol. Although I do understand where you're coming from.

Martialegg and L0pez like this.
  12. S.D.

S.D. Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate harem stories because they are bad stories, not because they feature multiple love interests.

13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two problems with this idea. Aside from the problem that a lot of harem novels are poorly written, not everyone self-inserts into the role of the protagonist. I've even seen books where the reader might prefer to root against him. Don't get me wrong, there are good harem novels out there but a lot of them don't get translated so the available pool of quality books is limited. It doesn't help that a lot of harem novels out there are Japanese web novels and those books tend to have terrible characterization at the best of times.

14. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right about spoiler, thank you and sorry.
    As for "absolute fucking garbage" part, point me in to nearest not-a-garbage harem.

15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I got 99 problems but a Harem ain't one.

Martialegg and Toralk like this.
  16. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that the shut in has caused people to have so much time on their hands that they resort to posts like this.

Oh I hope this ends soon before the Dams holding back people’s stupidity breaks :blob_coffee::blob_coffee::blob_coffee:

Araenn, Martialegg and Tilgarial like this.
  17. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    This might be funnny, but... The reason I avoid most harem novels is because how ridicoulously unrealistic they're written
    ther'll be that one jealous girl(1), or they'll compete with each other(1), not to mention that often a time it's more like a collection game than anything else(2)
    True, the word "harem" is an old one, that specifically puts the male at the helm, but that ain't really how any relationship should work(3).

1. Jealousy/competition: that makes it feel more like they're fighting than anything else. youdont get along with somebody, if you feel intimately jealous or compete with them over every little thing. And not getting along with somebody you spend so much time with, sounds like a recipe for disaster.... after lots of attempts to not make it a disaster

2. If the guy goes around randomly picking up some girl, and then forgetting her, I have like... 3 issues with that alone, which I'm just gonna limit to: dedication. Even in a relationship with more than one partner, you should be dedicated to each other in some form or another(in my opinion, if somebody else can make it work without, then that's their thing). But adding some random girl the other participant(s) of your relation hasnt even met with, or something like that? that's basically disregarding their wishes, wants and opinions.
    Which leads to:

3. A relationship is teamwork.
    neither side should lord over the other. adding more people to the mix souldnt change that, but make things more complicated. Harem novels generally completely disregard this, as far as I'm aware.

(yeah, okay, after realizing I didnt like harem novels much, i havent read any(and even before that not all that much), so it's possible there's some changes in the general tropes since then, but... really? changes in tropes? uh huh)

Well, there are some good harem novels, I'm sure. though, i can't currently think of any. but the general quality of 'em is too low for me.

18. The Punisher

The Punisher The Order

Reading List:
    Link
    If that was actually true they wouldn’t say they dropping every story as long as it’s harem before reading it, it isn’t other authors fault url read bad cultivation novels now url want to complain

Martialegg likes this.
  19. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the Chinese and English ones are just as bad especially if they have harem. And also yes, a good story is one where you can root for the antagonist.

Martialegg and Dragiathan like this.
  20. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    ...You just gave an example of a decent one, did you not? Also, this is a very subjective topic. I enjoy Highschool DxD for one, even though it's ridiculous in size with what, like 12 women. The story itself is well-written enough and they don't sugarcoat you into thinking it's not going to be a harem. In literally the first chapter Issei proclaims he's going to be a harem king, lol.

As I said, I do understand where you're coming from. But I've read (not the same amount of course) stories based on a single love interest be just as bad as harems. It literally all comes down to the writing of the author, and sadly most are... Pretty bad when it comes to this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.