Question About [New Gate] and Shin Translation.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by janoi, Apr 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been checking this novel in a while before and was mass consuming it during this quarantine.

I notice that the recent update in NU is the old Vol 1. that was translated before. I just want to ask what is happening? Is he re-translating them or re-editing old chapters? Are there gonna be more of the newer chapters? I just want update since I was out of the loop for a big while. Thank you.

Airlol likes this.
  2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s been a while! We are going to re-translate both vol. 1 and 2 from LN, which were previously translated from WN.

Chrono Vlad, janoi and Airlol like this.
  3. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>

who the heck are u?!

a new hire?

4. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there any major different between WN and LN? Is it necessary to re read them for some major detail?

5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    that's actually a quote from anouncement of the release of v1 prologue of the light novel version, dated April 8th, Last year. They only did 2 releases back then and it was put on hold, only resumed recently.
    https://shintranslations.com/2019/04/the-new-gate-vol-1-prologue-fanart-18/

original v1 and v2 (2015) releases by Shin Translations were web novel version

6. Serapheid

Serapheid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I read in older discussions, LN has a much smoother narration and there are more side stories.

7. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the side stories. As in relevant to the main plots? or just for entertainment?

8. Serapheid

Reading List:
    Link
    Both I believe. Some fleshed out some characters, while some brought life to certain events in the story. I haven't read them myself yet, but that's what I gathered from others' accounts.

9. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you personally think it's worth to spend hours re-readiing vol.1 and 2? I'm on a fence here and asking for opinion. I know that some story, like shield hero, is worth to go back and re-read the LN since there are a lot of change from WN to LN. They even have LN exclusive characters. But I haven't found any major disconnection of my memory of Vol1-2 of this story to the current latest TL chapters.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link

Light novels are always better because it gets professional editing

11. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it only just about professional editing and narrating then I'm not gonna bother. Thank you.

12. Serapheid

Reading List:
    Link
    It's only worth doing it if you either really like the story or that one media has a completely different setup than the other (like with Shield Hero as you mentioned, or with Overlord where Albedo doesn't exist in the WN). In this case, I'm not sure what to tell you since I haven't read it myself, but in my opinion I'd prefer to wait out until more volumes come out just to see if there are any stark differences that would show in later parts of the story.

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know what professional editing entails? Many here seem to mistake proofreading as editing.
    Professional editing can involve removing characters and adding new characters.
    But oh well, its your choice.
    Cheers!

14. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey. I'm just a normal consumer. How am i supposed to know the terminology of 'professional editing' mean. I know editing is to change something. That's why i ask if there are any major changes. You just throwing the word 'professional editing' at me doesn't help clarify anything to people like me. Its easier to just answer my question.

Are there any major change that is relevant to the plots? Yes, No or I don't know? Choose one!

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, I specifically said "Professional Editing". I didn't just throw out editing to you.
    I have not read 12 volumes of the novel. These is no way I would know for sure.
    I have already told you that Professional Editing is.
    You decide for yourself. I am just a consumer myself.
    I am not continuing this. I feel like I am getting shot for trying to be helpful.
    Parting words: No one on here will do the changes for sure because they haven't bought and read the Light novel raws that haven't been translated.

No need to reply. I am adding you to my ignore list.

Cheers!

mm38910 likes this.
  16. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I think I ask the wrong guy. This guy get mad at me for asking an answer of Yes,No, or I don't know.

Also 'No one on here will do the changes for sure because they haven't bought and read the Light novel raws that haven't been translated'. I don't think this guy even read my first question right and just want to participated.

xXSB101Xx likes this.
  17. jvmunhoz

jvmunhoz New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading TNG at volume 5 like 3-4 years ago, mainly because the story arc was meh and translation was pure engrish at the time. But for some reason I kept the RSS feed active, and recently saw they were re-releasing volume 1. It peeked my interest so I went back to reading it.

It felt really refreshing going back to TNG, the translations are top notch now, but as far as Volume 1 goes, I didn’t perceive any differences plot-wise compared to the WN version previously translated, even because it wasn’t purely the WN that was translated, but a mix of the WN with the LN for Volume 1 on oniichanyamete (why though, I have no idea).

Volume 2 was translated both by Shin and oniichanyamete, so I don’t know how these versions compare nor which I originally read, but as far as I could deduce reading old threads, Shin translated it purely from the WN and oniichanyamete continued with this mix, but I can’t guarantee this is actually correct.

janoi likes this.
  18. jvmunhoz

jvmunhoz New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forget what I said about oniichanyamete, they did just the first chapter of volume 1. It was Tenshi translations that did volumes 1 and 2. And I have no idea if they used the WN or the LN...

Edit to the edit: Shin also mixed volume 2 of the WN with some LN parts. Some illustrations are missing though because they weren’t in the WN

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.