LCD Genius of a Performing Arts High

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Cosmic_, May 9, 2020.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    English Title: Genius of a Performing Arts High
    Korean Title: 예술고 천재가 되었다
    Author: Mint Choc
    Genre: Slice of Life, School Life, Romance, Second Chance, Music

NU link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/genius-of-a-performing-arts-high/
    TL site: https://rainingtl.org/novels/genius-of-a-performing-arts-high/
    Raw: https://novel.munpia.com/188590

Official Description:
    After 20 years of dedicating his life to opera ever since he had quit the performing arts high school, he had failed at an interview. Losing his motivations, Jo Yunjae depended on alcohol to live his days until one day, he had been sent back 20 years in time, to the day before his high school admission.

The reason for his time travel nor the terrible condition his body was in did not matter to him. The one and only, most important thing was that he could still sing, and as the long-wished tenor, not as the previous baritone.

My Description:
    Jo Yunjae is a failed opera singer with a love for music and singing. Due to the the unsupportive work environment of his ensemble group, his unique talents and voice were never fostered and instead suppressed.

After quitting the group and unfortunately failing in an interview for the New York Metropolitan Opera, Jo Yunjae began to lose his motivations. However, he kept on singing. After one drunk yet wonderfully done church performance and an encounter with an old woman on Christmas Eve, Jo Yunjae passes out in the snow and wakes up to beings sent 20 years into the past, to the day before his high school admission.

While uncertain of the cause of his time travelling, Jo Yunjae firms his resolve to make the most of his second chance and to better his singing by fulfilling his dreams to be a tenor. But first, he has to get his body and conditioning back in shape and survive the competitive and talent-filled environment of Future Performing Arts High.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Synopsis sounds pretty whiny. Oh boo hoo, you failed one interview in twenty years of work. Time to drown in booze and mourn your pathetic life until you die... and tenor over baritone? What? Stop crying about your voice being different from someone else's. It's not like it's inherently worse or something. :sweating_profusely:

But who cares as long as it's fun, I guess?~

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Netto Azure

Netto Azure Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually a pretty good story.

He finds out that he actually has pretty good ability to hear flaws and able to be a good critic and self-improve. It's just that his low self esteem and bad evaluations in his past life prevented this talent from being perceived.

4. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    The synopsis is pretty bad and doesn't accurately show the nature of the novel. The current description really is whiny. In the novel though, the protagonist doesn't really whine and wallow about his mistakes. He reflects on them and work to improve. He cares about music and singing.

I think it's better to think of the story like The Great Storyteller. The MC wasn't able to make it really far as an opera singer due to just being unfortunate in aspects like lacking supportive peers and not having extraordinary talent nor a great start into the field. The protagonist has a love and passion for singing and it really shows. Like the Great Storyteller, it focuses on the protagonist's love of music and singing as well as how he uses his experience to better himself and others.

The protagonist is mature and he uses this second chance not for money or fame, but to right regrets and get a better start in what he loves, singing.

I rate this story highly and really enjoy it. It's fun and promising.

Edit:
    Plus that interview was actually a big deal. He wanted to get into the New York Metropolitan Opera, every opera singer's dream. It was also one of his big chances to succeed as a singer especially after quitting his ensemble group. Additionally, the story doesn't wallow in his depression or alcoholism. Its brief and is more about losing motivation in his dreams.

The thing about being a tenor though is something that a person with no passion in music or singing, like me or you, won't ever understand. To a singer, it's not just a different voice. It shows the range or height of your voice. Singing is his passion. It's something he prides himself and strives to achieve in and improve.

Think of it like a position in sports or a ranking in professional gaming or position in a job. It showcases your talent and skill. To someone who defines a large part of themselves in their voice, it means a lot.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even right now, I'm too late by three hours compared to the first commenter. Why NU? Are you telling me to become one of the F5 sect?

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_tilt:

7. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my experience, NU notification is often too late for this series. I waited for this series too much, since I really like it.

8. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I think NU has updates done manually or by bot. Often the TL releases a chapter a few hours after the last so only the last update/chapter shows on NU.

9. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm trying to figure out if there is a female lead in the novel and who might it be... HMM

Chloe (piano) - At first I thought it would be her but then she kinda took a backseat in the story. I really like her though.

Lee Suh-ah (soprano) - I could see her as being the female lead. I think their romantic progression could be cute, with Lee Suh-ah being kinda a tsun in the beginning and then falling for him and opening up. Classic shoujo romance plotline. I also ship her and Yunjae so I think I'm biased. I mean, think like 20 years down the line when they become opera duet partners and dominate the world. Out of all the other girls, I feel like she's the one who is on the most equal footing with Yunjae and I would love to see Yunjae with someone who was just as good as him. (okay maybe I just have intense power couple fantasies)

Song Mirae (mezzo) - At first I was kinda annoyed by Mirae but then she definitely grew on me. Love how forthcoming she is with Yunjae. Wouldn't mind if she swept him off his feet haha

Yu Minji (composer) - Lot of collaboration/partnership potential. Don't see much romance potential. She seems like a cool character though.

Han Dasom (soprano) - Yunjae's relationship with her is so heartwarming but I see it as more of a mentor/mentee relationship. It's really heartwarming to see her growth. I feel like Yunjae sees the past him within her and wants to help her because of that.

tl;dr: Lee Suh-ah x Jo Yunjae

ladyartemis and Cosmic_ like this.
  10. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you guys know where I can MTL this story, er, cough, for free?

11. Aina Seira

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Han Dasom more XD
    They're just so cute. And who says a mentor-disciple relationship can't progress the romance way?

Cosmic_ and Vermouth like this.
  12. Valven

Valven Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't exist.

13. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Han Dasom as a character so much. I’d honestly be down to read a book where she is the MC.

Her having a light soprano voice just fits my mental image of her as an angel so perfectly .

Tangents aside, I can see it. Honestly all the ships are cute. So hard to decide which one I want to be on T_T

Cosmic_ likes this.
  14. ExQAlph03

ExQAlph03 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'm fine with Chloe, Lee Suh-Ah, Song Mirae, Han Dasom, maybe not Yu Minji since I don't have much a grasp of her character yet.
    I prefer Lee Suh-Ah first, Chloe or Han Dasom second, next is Song Mirae then last is Yu Minji.

Well, it's still early at this time, not much development between them so not really clear of my ships XD

Cosmic_ likes this.
  15. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear every time there's a cute interaction between Jo Yunjae and [insert female char here] I feel tempted to jump ships

Like with the recent chapter I suddenly go to thinking... "hmmm Dasom and Yunjae are p cute....ship?" ahaha

Cosmic_ likes this.
  16. shubh

shubh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I like the Han Dasom ship but I almost always like the ship which wouldn't sail. Most likely Lee Suh-ah x Jo Yunjae will be the main ship.

Honestly all ships are great but when you like one it's hard to move onto another more realistic one.

And the funny thing is that there isn't much progress on that ship yet we know how likely it is.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  17. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, from reading so much trope-y romance I can just feel the FL vibes Lee Suh-ah gives.

I wonder if there will be a second romantic pairing, like with Kim Wuju or Jun Shihyuk and one of the girls.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  18. Aina Seira

Reading List:
    Link
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

19. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    Updates are 4x a week instead of daily ;-;

It was good while it lasted

20. . .

. . Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 8.4
    so... which ships is sinking right now? Please don't let Yunjae x Mirae sink... or do we have yet-unnamed-girl from Yunjae past as a contender?

Vermouth likes this.