Offline music player similar to this

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Darkcrow., May 15, 2020.

1. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title says I am looking for an offline music player similar to this

[​IMG]

1. Simplistic
    2. Minimal buttons
    3. Full screen (preferable)

Maomaomao likes this.
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Mi music on my phone or Music player Mp3 player.

3. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're into lossless music, i strongly recommend Neutron music player or HF player. The interface of both player are very outdated, but the sound quality is the best i've ever listen to

4. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pi Music Player?

5. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Phonograph

[​IMG]

6. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I have viper4android for that ,i am just looking for simplicity/elegance

7. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Uuh V4A is just effects processor. Using it isn't same as using losslesss music.

Lossless is all about RAW things, and because they're lossless, they don't undergo any compression or processing, thus the size of each file will be much than that of any normal file size.

While some mp3 will be not more than 20mb, lossless can even go up to few hundreds mb for each file size. Some even went few gb.

If the size of each file is big, then why bother using lossless? Well its because the sound quality is much more better than that of processed music, but you need to be used to listen to lossless to be able to determine the sound quality between lossless and processed audio file.

I stopped using V4A long ago because the sound produced are "grainy" than the normal lossless i used to listen.

With V4A, or any other soundmod such as ainur, any audio sound can have the effect you desired, but not with lossless. Soundmod can't imitate lossless. And even if you have lossless audio file, you still need the correct software to truly listen to the quality sound, else you would just listen to some normal sound.

V4A is for sound effects, lossless audio is for audiophile, they aren't the same thing.

Well i hope you found your ideal player, GL!

Darkcrow. likes this.
  8. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Well now I feel like ,I am the frog in the well.

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because sound is an analog wave, it has to go through processing before it can be converted to a digital format. You can look up Analog-to-Digital Conversion for more info on the process. Similarly, digital audio has to be processed before it can be converted back into an analog waveform. Look up Digital-to-Analog conversion for more info. Audiophiles can spend over $10k on a DAC to try to rectify issues that pop up during the conversion.

Most lossless formats include compression. The difference is that unlike lossy audio compression standards, lossless standards can be decompressed without losing any audio fidelity.

For a 2-channel audio file to be over 1 GB in size, it would either need to be over 30 minutes long or use bonkers encoding settings. My FLAC files of audiophile vinyl that are at high bit-depth (24-bit) and sampling rate (96 kHz) only use about 20 MB per minute.

An audio player will either decode an audio format or it won't. As long as you're not doing any EQ or post-processing, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between one audio player and another when playing the same volume-matched audio file with the same amp, DAC, and speakers.

kenar and Havisu like this.
  10. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Well said. I tried to make it easy for people who are not into this to understand, but i guess i skipped way too much.

When i said lossless aren't compressed, i means not in the way lossy are. Because lossless compression makes it that the file can be constructed to be perfectly the same as the original one.

Also, about the file size, i once received some old anime ost from my friends that are only around 5-7 minutes and boi they're close to 2gb. I deleted it because seeking the playback is slow and the song aren't my cup of coffee. Dunno if it's 2 channels or not, since i don't really care about it. Had to delete because its hogging too much space. Even excluding this, most of my flac files tend to be around more than 30mb per minutes, and some even reaching up to 100mb per minutes, making it around 300-500mb per anime song / ost.

About the last bit, I disagreed with this. I rarely use EQ or post processing, or anything that modified the sound, and i still find that some players decode the audio differently, and they sound different even though it is the same audio, volume and device used. I found out that Neutron player produces the best lossless audio while Hf (Onkyo) player is the second best. At first i thought it was just a placebo effects or bias opinion, but after my evaluation period of neutron player expired, and i used HF for more than a year, i feels there's something missing, and not quite as satisfied as when i am using neutron. I then bought neutron just to satiate my curiosity and yes, even with the same setup, there's noticeable gap of quality. I guess this is the reason why people stick to the very outdated music players even though there's tons of new player with much better interface. It is not because any player that can decode an audio format will do, it is because the audio quality reproduced. This is just my opinion from my humble experiences but, unless we're using studio-grade equipment, which probably not if you're always travelling from the end of your country to the other end, audio players really do matters here.

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime snobs are some of the most ridiculous people when it comes to bitrate and placebo. The reason the files were so large is that they used ludicrous encoding settings. There have been many blind tests and even scientific studies done that show that even with high-end audio equipment, no one can consistently identify audio quality in excess of CD quality, 16-bit depth and 44 kHz (about 5 MB per channel per minute uncompressed). Bluray quality audio tops out at 24/192k. Without compression, that equals about 35 MB per channel per minute. In order to approach 100 MB per minute for a stereo recording, you'd need to encode at 24/288k, which is about 50 MB per channel per minute uncompressed and exceeds the bitrate of some studio masters.

It's likely placebo. If two audio players are using the same codec to decode the same file, the output should be identical, or very nearly so. If there's an actual difference, it means that one of the players you mentioned is probably doing something to the uncompressed audio.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Havisu likes this.
  12. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Uuh i am sorry that i am just an anime snob who listen to my favorite "lossless" music using only my favorite outdated player because i had placebo effects. You sir, are completely correct and my opinions/experiences are completely invalid. I will from now on uninstall all "lossless audio players" i have and only listen to lossy audio using SoundCloud since
    my ears are rotten and couldn't differentiate between placebo effects and real thing. Thanks for making me realize that i am not worthy enough to listen to such a godly lossless sound.

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans can't hear much above 20 khZ. Even most $2000 headphones can't output above 50 khZ, and most reasonably priced headphones (under $100) top out around 25-30 khZ. You can determine the highest frequency an audio file can output by dividing its sampling frequency by 2. So, anything above 40 khZ sampling frequency will be inaudible to just about everyone on earth. Anything above 100 khZ can't be reproduced by most headphones.

Bit depth tells you how much difference you can have between the quietest sound and the loudest sound in a recording. 16 bit-depth can go from the sound of a whisper in a silent room to the sound of a lawnmower, about a 100 dB difference. 24 bith-depth can go from the sound of a whisper to the sound of a jet taking off, about 130 dB difference.

So, those anime OSTs were objectively over-encoded as far as the range of human hearing is concerned. If you listen to the track with 1:1 amplification, the loudest possible sections in anything over 24 bit-depth would immediately damage your hearing. If nothing is as loud as a jet engine in the recording, then having a bit-depth that high provides no benefit. Not to mention that the tracks would have to downsampled to be converted by your DAC (few DACs support true 24-bit depth conversion, most top out at 16 or 20, and almost none support above 24). Also, the source recordings were almost certainly at a lower bitrate than the audio files you were playing. Encoding at a bitrate above the source recording is wasteful and achieves no benefit other than to meaninglessly increase the size of the resultant file.

The PCM generated by two different audio players using the same codec will be identical. That's how decoding works. If the same codec decoded the same file differently on different audio players, then there'd be no consistency and the whole lossless thing would be a moot point. Imagine the insanity that would ensue if WinZip, 7zip, and WinRAR gave a different output for the same zip file. What happens with the audio player's audio engine and what occurs further down the audio pipeline after it's been decoded is what causes the difference you're hearing, or it's placebo.

If needlessly large audio files improve your subjective listening experience, that's fine. Most of my audio files are encoded well above the range of human hearing, but none are encoded at a bitrate above the source. If you like the coloration of one audio player over another, that's also fine. Enjoying music is a personal affair. No need to get defensive.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    kenar and AlphaReatard like this.
  14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Just vlc player I guess?

Sabruness likes this.
  15. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i second this. I went through a few players trying to find something good but nothing really beat VLC player for simplicity, minimal buttons and user friendliness.

16. Maomaomao

Maomaomao Cardboard cutout

Reading List:
    Link
    There is this one app with white and blue egg icon. I on't remember he name

17. Rulk

Rulk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try Black Player.

18. AlphaReatard

AlphaReatard Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unironically the built in Google Play music

19. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Sign.... Samsung music player is really good, But it doesn't work in other devices.

kenar likes this.
  20. flexomob

flexomob Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some similarities, but they seem to be two different ones, don't they?