Discussion What novels 1000+ chapters are actually worth it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by riririn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I first got into novels I could take reading longggg stories (I binged like three of Ye Fei Ye's 1000-chapter dog blood novels while they were free on Webnovel lmao) but now I'm really over it... I was going through my "to read" list and I'm just taking out the long webnovels now (pretty much based on an arbitrary judgement of "wow that's a big number" or "that seems reasonable"). I've found that I lose interest in them and I don't really see a need for stretching out things for so long either. Also, as a translation reader, it can take a long time before these long novels are completely translated (which is totally fair, because translation takes time).
    So, my questions are:
    1. Have you read any long novels that you enjoyed? What are they?
    2. Do you take the number of chapters into account before you start reading a novel?
    3. If you don't read long novels, why? What counts as "too long" for you? (Just curious if you think like me or if you have some other reasons lol.)
    4. What's your favorite food?

WhiteMoonlight, Slayerwolfx2 and Reak like this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Why care about how long a novel is? Read anything that interests you. Read it for as long as it stays interesting. Personally, I have read quite a few of those long novels, and ZTJ was the one which stood interesting throughout.

Astaroth and anon like this.
  3. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    1. none....
    2. yes
    3. ....
    4. ....
    none of the uber long novels had a good outcome....always a rinse and repeat world like a fking MMORPG game, or trash ending that makes me go WTF did i waste my time for.....
    now i dont care, just give a tick on my reading list uber long novels.....

Slayerwolfx2 and Gin_Hindew like this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read any long novels that you enjoyed? What are they?
    • Yes, and I am still reading many of them, like 'Cultivation Chat Group' :hmm:
    Do you take the number of chapters into account before you start reading a novel?
    • No, I don't think I did :blobunsure:
    If you don't read long novels, why? What counts as "too long" for you? (Just curious if you think like me or if you have some other reasons lol.)
    • I don't know :blobsweat_2:
    What's your favorite food?
    • Not, sure, maybe fries? :hmm:

5. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    lord of the mysteries? 1200+ chap but still good

Coup_de_grace, DjB1 and philosopher17 like this.
  6. CandleLight

CandleLight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started in web novels with Legendary Moonlight Scultor. Back then, the longer the better. This along with Coiling Dragon (CD), Stellar Transformations (?), Battle Throught the Heavens (BTTH), and more. Ah fk, these long ass novels, Im done. I think I got fed up with tge prototype by now, but back then, they were my favorite junk food. The last long ass novel Ive read is I Shall Seal the Heavens (ISSTH) and Warlock or Magus World. Now, for me 500chapters is long. About 250ish is my ideal. They are short stories to stuff like CD but yeah. Now I dont know what to get into after KR prototype is starting to become stale. Ugh. Feed meh.

AmethystCherry likes this.
  7. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to think the same thing but there are a lot of long novels that I've dropped because they ended up dragging on and I lost interest :/ So now when I see a novel with a huge number of chapters I go "oh no I'm going to lose interest".
    oh I feel that!!! Things just kept on repeating and it felt like I was rereading the novel again and again. when will it ever end????? So I also stopped reading a lot of novels with many chapters.
    wowow Cultivation Chat Group is definitely very long to me. I also like fries!
    Yes this is how I felt when I first started too! When I first started reading everything was new so I could read super tropey stuff and not get bored of it lol. But now that I've spent more time reading webnovels it's not fresh anymore :///

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  8. HC

HC I eat, read, die

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes, I enjoyed Ze Tian Ji very much. The writing style is poetic and the characters are not 2 dimensional that you never know what they will do so it kept my interest until the end.

another is Transmigrated Cannon Fodder, Please Calm Down! This is BG quick wear. It feels like each arc is a different novel, so it kept me reading till 3k chapters. This is seriously good quick wear.

2. I dont really mind the length as long as the plot interests me. ofcourse, given my attention span and my different story cravings, it is difficult to read until the end or even read all the arcs. personally, i also look at the ratings. If the ratings is high despite it having 1k+ translated chapters, that means it is good

4. Rice

animefan217 likes this.
  9. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good 1000+ chapter novels are worth it. Anything that surpasses 2000+ chapters, no matter how good the start is, will turn into absolute shit unless you can convince me that it's not a steaming pile of shit that recycles the plot over and over again for that sweet shekels

10. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    I've noticed that a lot of people who commented are reading more action novels! I only read romance novels (I also specifically avoid harem) so I wonder if it's different? To anyone new viewing this thread I would love to hear your thoughts if you also only read romance like me ^_^

otaku31 likes this.
  11. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you read the raws? I can read Chinese but like really slowly so I haven't read the raws for any novels that I follow before but since you mentioned the writing style of Ze Tian Ji being poetic I'm very curious now! Especially since it's the second time mentioned here lol.

Any 1000+ chapter novels you'd recommend?

12. HIMETAN

HIMETAN My English Sucks • I want good luck

Reading List:
    Link
    #Have you read any long novels that you enjoyed? What are they?
    If its over 1000 I think none. I try to read 500+ but I gave up halfway. I think my limit around 260 chapters that's why I enjoy reading novels with arcs, ofc the sort one.

#Do you take the number of chapters into account before you start reading a novel?
    Yes.. Coz I don't want to left it halfway.. U know it like u want to know the ending but u really think that its boring.

#If you don't read long novels, why? What counts as "too long" for you? (Just curious if you think like me or if you have some other reasons lol.)
    Yes its too long. And if the ending didn't satisfy u, it will waste your time or something like "I want to strangle the author"

#What's your favorite food?
    Why food lol I like noodle I think especially Indonesian instant noodle hahaha well I like meat so maybe satay, opor, gulai and I like spicy food like seblak and ayam geprek. Its Indonesian food so idk u know or not ehehe. As Indonesian ofc I like rice too coz bread make me gain some weight

13. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    ah yes I am also reading Perfect Secret Love! Reading dog blood romance novels is honestly super fun for when I'm bored lol. I started reading PSL when I first found webnovels and I'm still following it now!

Haha I feel the part about the ending being unsatisfying! I also relate to not wanting to leave a novel halfway. I have a list for dropped novels and novels I've put "on hold" but to be completely honest I've rarely gone back to a novel I put on hold... But I don't want to say I dropped it either because then I'll never know how it ended. Food is fun, so I added it in :) I love noodles too! I haven't heard of some of the things you mentioned but the pictures online look good w(°o°)w

14. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes. But I've dropped them midway a year later when I realized it will never end/translations would never reach the end and I'm too lazy to read the raws myself. (I can't skim read in Chinese too so I take a longer time)
    My first novel was The Demonic King Chases His Wife and I had caught up to the latest chapter (ch 1000) at that time before letting it stockpile and eventually dropping it.

2. When I first started out, the longer chapters it had the better it was for me because I had a lot of time to spare for reading and Asian novels were a whole new genre for me. Now after 3-4 years of reading, I don't read anything that has more than 300 chapters because I can't dedicate that much time to read anymore and plots are pretty much overused.

3.I have begun filtering out my reading list to avoid any series that has more than 300 chapters.

4. I like Korean BBQ. MEAT!!!!!!

WhiteMoonlight likes this.
  15. 2trill

2trill Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read any long novels that you enjoyed? What are they?
    I’ve read some long Novels and enjoyed them. Started LLS was enjoyable for a bit. Overgeared I’m still reading and enjoy a lot, same with Versatile Mage.

Do you take the number of chapters into account before you start reading a novel?
    Sometimes I take them into account. There are times where I want a nice quick read and times where I really wanna hunker down and get into something that’ll take up time.

What's your favorite food?
    I love a good pot roast

16. HIMETAN

HIMETAN My English Sucks • I want good luck

Reading List:
    Link

Same here, I make list to novel I read, drop, and hold. Coz I don't want to read it halfway, I like marathon, so I will be back if its finish translated. Noodle the best but I can't eat instant noodle too much, so sometimes I eat mie ayam and baso if I can't eat instant noodle. That food really good haha well I live in a village which is so far from the city so I just eat a local food. I want to try something like hot pot or another country food, but unfortunately.. Even when I want to buy skincare, none of them sell what I want

riririn likes this.
  17. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer short (<100 chs), modern, straightforward, fluffy romance. No childcare, no reticent MCs who seem forever reluctant to get into relationships, no dog blood drama/misunderstandings, no imperial harems and the accompanying political intrigues, no... well, you get my drift. And I'm wont to believe all the above dislikes mentioned are, necessarily, part and parcel of longer works. Moreover, I read romance novels specifically for the romance element, so it has to be the focus, with lots of cute interactions b/w MC and ML- something I believe long novels, with their usually slow, drawn out romantic progressions, can't fulfil.

P.S. I did once MTL Picking a General to Plow the Fields for a 1000? chs. I liked the rural setting, the independent, resourceful, caring but non Mary Sue MC, and the fact that the ML (one of the best ones among CNs I've read, NGL) was around most of the story, close to the MC (even tho the romance was snail paced, it was built on a strong foundation of trust and mutual respect- just the way I like it) and a few other things, despite the repetitiveness and cockroach-like villains. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  18. SirNavata

SirNavata Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. It's not easy to be a man after traveling to the future
    2. I do, I make sure theres a decent amount out and its still updating

19. littleredblossom

littleredblossom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could never last 1000 chapters without skipping around. I usually give up, and return a few months later, but by then, I've already forgotten most of the novel.

20. Arkus86

Arkus86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I have read two novels of around 1000+ chapters lenght, "The Great Thief" and "Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man".
    Both have some good parts, interspaced with repetitive and bland fillers. And even in the good parts you can often see the effort to bloat the word count. Which also slows the progression of the story.
    2) 3) Which is why I rarely read novels of this lenght.
    4) Potato salad, the Czech version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.