Spoiler Beatrice

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by theilikepie, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guessing it's a cease and desist...

https://www.patreon.com/ladyharriet

"Hello, everyone. Just this morn, we received a notice from WordExcerpt admin, saying that the author of Beatrice reached out, telling us to [...]"

hmMmMMMMMMm

telling us to cease and desist?

Well at least manhwa scanlations still seem to be going strong

Mikaa likes this.
  2. MoonJ

MoonJ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So Wordexerpt just released a short statement saying that Beatrice will no long be available as per the author's wishes :(

Now we can just only rely on the manhwa version. It's such a bummer as I enjoyed reading the novel as it provided more information than the manhwa. If only the author releases the novel in English I will definitely purchase it.

bochucha, djan29, SugarPlum and 2 others like this.
  3. minisma781

minisma781 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So bad . Although I feel sorry for the author, I really want the novel to be translated in English. Because I couldn't approach the Korean version. I hope the novel will be released in multiple languages to many countries around the world, not just published in Korea

ladadizeddie likes this.
  4. SugarPlum

SugarPlum New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah if they had it in English, I would be willing to pay for it. MTLs are choppy and take away from the reading experience so I don’t think I would be willing to buy it until it’s officially released in English.

elyacuty likes this.
  5. LeAlier

LeAlier Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing some translation ask for donation for support of their tranlation while wordexcerpt if you want to read advanced chapter on their patreon is to much.

6. MoonJ

MoonJ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is pricey indeed. I wouldn't mind them asking for donations, but to actually pay per month to read advanced chapters is too much :confused:

djan29 and elyacuty like this.
  7. SugarPlum

SugarPlum New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought advanced chapters didn’t make sense from a consumer standpoint. The first month, you will get a huge influx of chapters from paying but after that you have to continue paying even though you are getting the chapters at the same rate as the free readers. Or you have to wait x amount of weeks for the free stuff to catch up. I mean if you want to support the authors/translator and you have the money that’s great but I prefer just donating on ko-fi or something similar.

8. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it's for people who are really desperate to know what happens next, esp is the chapter ends on a cliff hanger. Though admittedly it would be a one-time thing.

djan29 likes this.
  9. djan29

djan29 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The same as Remarried Empress, i feel down that they are removing the novels. Maybe at some point I'll stop patronizing the page. There are free but the once I love most was getting out of the shelf.

Vermouth likes this.
  10. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    They're taking down Remarried Empress? *internally screaming*

Damn I was stacking chapters for that one.

I hope this doesn't lead to a trend of more Korean shoujo being taken down since that's like 90% of what I read ;-;

Daisychangedhermind and bochucha like this.
  11. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, to clarify a couple of things.

ALEXANDER DOESN’T ORDER THE RAPE OF ANYONE. Not unless the translator took it upon themselves to really clean things up. Now, what he did was a pretty bad move. Like in the manga, when the princess pushes her luck and insults him he uses his sword to rip her dress off and then let the knights grab her and toss her around, letting the threat of rape hang over her. And then he straight kills her. He’s cold as heck about killing the ex-royal family, but’s it’s really just the last box to check for the takeover to be successful (no one remaining who can claim the throne).

On the other 2 things some people seem to really hate about the novel:

I actually like Duncan as a character concept. If this were set 20, 25 years earlier he would be the villain. He basically took over the country from the rightful ruler, he drove his wife insane and traumatized his kid in his pursuit of power. He was a terrible person. And he won. It may not be right or fair that he won, but sometimes the bad guy is successful. The thing I like with him is that after everything he did and finally being victorious, he looked back on it all and went ‘Nope, not worth it’. His conscience finally caught up with him, and all he was left with was a son that hates him and a position he can’t find any joy in. I think a lot of his wishing for grandkids is about not screwing it up this time. Yes, he doesn’t get the comeuppance that he objectively deserves. And in reality a lot of people, especially those in power, don’t face the consequences they should. But I don’t think it’s a terrible thing to have him as a villain who is now regretful and spends the end of his life trying to improve things.

Apparently some people are also discontent that there isn’t a big populace uprising. There are plenty of huge societal issues thrown in our faces with the slavery, misogyny, classism, and homophobia. But I don’t know what’s so objectionable about the ending being that the rulers put in the hard work to slowly fix the issues and faze the violating-human-rights laws out. Yeah, there could be a giant uprising and overturning of the applecart. But that isn’t always a positive direction. See Robespierre after the French Revolution. Plus, big societal changes generally aren’t achieved quickly. You try it and historically right afterwards is usually a huge backslide. Having Duncan, followed by Alexander, spend their reigns pushing for these reforms is the most likely way to make them actually stick.

So there’s my 2 cents. You feel like the ML crossed the line in humiliating that princess and all but threatening to let her be gang raped, you’ve got a point. Can’t stand that Duncan didn’t get an appropriate punishment for his past misdeeds or that the ML and MC sort of buried the hatchet with him, you’re choice. Ditto about there not being a big revolution to ‘fix’ the society and punish those who took advantage of being at the top of the power structure. This book clearly isn’t for you.
    If you’re like me and can get behind Duncan wanting to make up for what he did and there being a slow steady (though not dramatic) improvement to the society, then you should at least check it out for yourself.

12. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair ebpgih if you think that

Bilut regarding the populace populace reovolotuon. I know itd be bloody but that's the point. Half the reason I want it to happen was to see there coutnry burn. I personally dslike everyone in this novel by the end and wouldn't mind if it went full tragedy.

I just think its irresponsible that the MC would let a a dude who would kill his own baby near her children. Fine you wanna be mother Teresa and forgive him go ahead. But dont put you're children in danger to show how much of a good person you are.

And the ML kills the Duke who abused beatrice but shluldnt he kill his father too then? Hes way worse then duke and a threat to beatrice. It just seems very inconsistent as if the author is pushing the message "forgive you abusive ass parents cause they gave birth to you"

And all I want to know wtf happend to the sister. We all know lip filler and doormatrice are gonna get together and forgive psudeo European gengis khan but the sister plot seems the one with the most promise

Imo duncan could never make up for what he did. Hes destroyed too many lives and killed too many to ever be forgiven. I mean if a hell exists in this novel hes going straight there. I'd have loved this novel if the ML had just left with betraice and he had to die alone, unloved with the throne which he had shed blood to obtain. Would have made narrative sense and was something every rational person would do

Idk I guess ducan hits too close to real life abusive parents

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  13. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn’t say anybody needs to forgive Duncan. He objectively doesn’t deserve it. But what would killing him actually accomplish? Wouldn’t fix what he did. Would create a power vacuumed. Would likely put a stop to the positive changes that he starts to enact.
    There’s forgiveness in the sense of, oh it’s all forgotten and sunshine and rainbows now.
    And then there’s forgiveness in the sense of, I’m not going to bother hating you anymore if only for practicality and my own sake.
    I can get behind the second.
    As satisfying as killing him might be, it realistically wouldn’t do much good.

Like I said, I like him as a concept of someone who figured out his villainous actions weren’t worth it. And it’s a good foil to Alexander who completely rejects pretty much everything he’d done. And even if it’s unsatisfying, it’s not a deal breaker for me to have his end being to try to make up for his actions. He probably can’t, but more long term good is done by letting him try than just offing him. Ditto with Alexander remaining in power to push those societal changes (don’t see any other nobles who seem keen on them). Sometimes the option that results in the most good isn’t the most satisfying.
    For those who can read ahead and really get the nuance, I do hope we really get to see that he regrets his past actions. I’m mostly going by the broad descriptions (he openly approves of the MC despite her social class, and going hardcore religious is a pretty good trademark of one whose repenting).

Correct me if I’m wrong. If I have the timeline right Alexander doesn’t come back to the castle and bury the hatchet until he’s certain Duncan’s turned over a new leaf. And MC’s ex husband starts getting into some new shady political machinations and is a current threat. Genuinely, I’m working off people’s spoilers and not translating myself, so tell me if I’m wrong.

Will also ditto on wanting to know about the missing/dead? older sister. Someone said something about Duncan just not explaining his actions (don’t think any explanation would excuse them anyway)? I’m not seeing any reason why only having a single son would help his goals.

14. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he killed/abandoned her cause he wanted a son as the next ruler? Idk either tbh. It really doesn't make sense. If only men can be monarchs then it wouldnt matter if he had a daughter as the firstborn. Is there a moses situation going on. Or is Duncan crazy too...

Avery Very, Mikaa and Vermouth like this.
  15. ARaine

ARaine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you guys for the spoilers. I was planning to read it in excerpt only to find out it's already cut. :(
    I'll just read the spoilers and manwha.:(

16. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, he is a breath of fresh air in the genre. It speaks for a good writer to have a character like him who is able to reflect and regret without being "redeemed" through some convenient plot device.

17. alcon

alcon Member

Reading List:
    Link
    about alex's older sister, i think i read something about her possibly being alive?? does anybody have spoilers about her and who she is?

MLisMyHubby and djan29 like this.
  18. aoko

aoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    looks like there’s no chapter tomorrow! i don’t see any spoilers for tomorrow from author’s twitter:(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  19. Vermouth

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you a link to the author's twitter? :aww:

20. aoko

aoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mikaa, MiserableSOUL and Vermouth like this.