Discussion Honest Ranking of Webnovel Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Genji-san, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gonna be brutally honest here, I don’t think a lot of Webnovel’s show their proper rating (especially for those on Webnovel). Between the hate ratings on NU and the BS ratings on Webnovel it makes it literally IMPOSSIBLE to get good feedback. So I was thinking of making a post that shows factual ratings (maybe slightly opinionated) for novels on Webnovel (not that you have to read them there just use Quidian Underground if you hate Webnovel). So yeah... I’d love some feedback about what you guys think about this and if this is a worthwhile endeavor. Ty!

AbrarMalik and kkgoh like this.
  2. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m totally looking forward to it!:aww:

3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about just pure ratings or written reviews?
    Pure ratings have little to no value on their own unless people are really familiar with how you decide on the score in the first place.

Sabruness, Astaroth and Reak like this.
  4. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No rating system is perfect because most people doing the rating haven't read much to compare, and you have no idea what factors went into their rating. At best it just gives you a picture of what is most enjoyed and least divisive among general readers.

Generally its better to find people who read a lot and seem to look for similar things as you, and go through their favorites, or if you can get a rapport going with them, get personalized recommendations from them based on your own interests and preferences.

Reak likes this.
  5. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    The publisher doesn't matter if the novel is truly good. I think it more amazing since this CN novel has big hurdle to defeat. TKA and RTW might not count since they are release not on webnovel first. But good example is lord of the mysteries, it's in webnovel but has high rating. Might read it's manhua later before diving on the novel.

6. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking of organizing the novels with a personalized rating, a short written review and the summary for the story. Thoughts?

7. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend the novel first, the manhua skips some of the details.

Muspon likes this.
  8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong about doing that, just keep in mind it might not really be any more accurate or factual than any other ratings, but I guess it could be useful for someone that have similar tastes to your own.

kkgoh likes this.
  9. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    "Factual ratings." Really? It's gonna more than just 'slightly' opinionated when it comes to reviews on fictional stories, 'cause one tends to focus on either the good or bad sides of said story. There ain't a truly factual review on novels, at least from my understanding.

Hell, personal ratings are completely subjective in the first place.

10. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I agree to some extent but I’d rather review the novels as unbiased as possible and just state pros/cons of the stories.

11. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    and you fail. instantly

12. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree of course, however if I was to do this I would just rate them for my taste and then create a list of generalized Pros/Cons from a writing/plot standpoint with as little bias as possible.

13. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I’ll try creating a sample rating/ranking/review and you can tell me more of your thoughts.

14. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make a rating system with no Stockholm syndrome novels in it

15. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I know manhua skips some details but I want to be motivated with the illustrations. Lockdown is taking toil on me so I can't focus on reading plain text. But since it manhua rather than manhwa, I think I'll take your offer.

16. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What might be more helpful is asking people to submit a ranked list of their favorites and also meet some minimum criteria of having read a certain number of novels. A ranked list would eliminate issues like certain people being extra critical in their ratings, or people low rating stuff because its not their preferred genre.

There are still some issues, like popular stuff can and up ranking more highly, just because more people are likely to have read it, and even if its no ones favorite it may show up at the bottom of a lot of lists. But whoever designs it could weight it so people ranking a novel at the top of their list matters more than a bunch of people ranking it at the bottom of their list.

I've seen a few websites do things like this and there's usually pretty solid recommendations in the final list compare to anonymous rating websites. However it still takes a good amount of work to design and run.

17. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the rating on NU are fairly accurate. I looked at some of the big novels on webnovels all of them had high rating on their NU pages.

kkgoh likes this.
  18. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was thinking of a community driven raking system weighted more towards individuals who have had a broad exposure to asian fantasy lit. I am not sure if I should just make it a forum post, or if I should just throw up something quick like a wordpress to make it more customizable. Thoughts?

19. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting, but how would you get factual ratings? If it's just your personalized rating wouldn't that be a little biased?

I know people find this hard to believe but I always thought NU had way more accurate ratings than other novel sites. Sure there may be some unreasonable skews from alt accounts and fake reviews, but at least it doesn't deviate by too much.
    There was a period of time when WebNovel first started (2017-2018??) that there was so much outrage from local translators and readers that anything published by WebNovel/Qidian got an automatic -1 star DEBUFF on NU.
    Anything KR and Yaoi gets +1 star BUFF.

Would prefer that there's a better way to screen rating and reviews on NU. I usually have to cross reference ratings, reviews, publishing history, tags, etc before I get a more accurate picture.

I'm actually wondering if it's better for NU mods to just create 2 different ratings like most other rating sites do.
    One average rating as per current standard (most neutral, works with small and large #ratings).
    Another Bayesian average that weighs on frequency/modes (works best with large #ratings).

There's a slight issue of sample size, but that'll be up to readers to figure it out.

20. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would agree but also disagree, a lot of the novels that are hosted on Webnovel don't have accurate chapter release information, and there is still a lot of hate for webnovel buying out novels from other free to read sites. Yes a lot of the top ranked novels on webnovel have pretty good reviews on NU, but I have also seen a lot that have been buried in hate ratings. The idea is to just list some novels that I've read from webnovel that were suprisingly good despite their shite rating on NU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.