Recommend your old games for everyone!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Algoz, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Algoz

Algoz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are some games from your childhood (or that you are playing right now) that you would recommend to others?
    some of the games I'm playing:

Master of Magic
    [​IMG]
    A great game where your objective is to defeat other mages with your army. Basically, a precursor (is this the right word?) of heroes of might and magic. on GOG, there was a recent mod added as a DLC that changes the game if you want to mix things up.

Tyrian 2000
    [​IMG]
    a 2D space shooter where you don't die in one hit from the enemies. you can upgrade your ship, and the game has a surprising amount of lore if you are interested. this is an amazing game that has A LOT of unlockables and small secrets. this is a video talking about this game:
    the best part is that it's free!

Outcast
    [​IMG]
    for those of you that want a game that is similar to mass effect (at least, i think it's similar?), this game is the one for you! the world of the game is amazing, and i've replayed this game so many times! the best part is that there was a recent updates (called outcast 1.1) that makes the game play a lot better than the old version on newer pc's, and also adds controller support.

so, what other games can you guys recommend?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Spiderman 2000 (I think it was called like this?) A classic when it comes to spiderman games, I loved it when I was a child. Very wholesome, explores a lot of spidey lore
    [​IMG]
    Mafia: the city of Lost Heaven. A great game that wins the player over with its atmosphere and storyline. Basically like Godfather, if it was a game. But with a different plot. The gameplay isn't bad either.
    [​IMG]

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 4 Golden, Breath of Fire III/IV.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  4. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warcraft III

Omnicast, imK and nyamachi like this.
  5. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Doom

Shalalalala and imK like this.
  6. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still playable? Freelancer, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Total Annihilation.

Omnicast and imK like this.
  7. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Neopets lolol

I just like all the daily freebies and random lucky events, man. Oh and the pets are cute too, I guess~

EDIT: On a more serious note, the original Ace Attorney trilogy is awesome and so are old jRPGs I can't remember the names of right now.

Zone of the Enders is one, it's a mecha-styled tactical RPG for the GBA. I guess a good comparison would be "think Fire Emblem but spaceships?"

8. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    MAPLESTORY (playing a private server named mapleroyals rn)
    Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (gba) one of the best games evar!

Fulminata and pass1478 like this.
  9. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Harvest moon.
    Pokemon

gangbuntu and nyamachi like this.
  10. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Gunlok, blades of shogun, X-Men legends apocalypse, Serious Sam 2, Sniper Elite (original)

11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Games I played 24/7 back then: Maplestory, League of legends, Metal slug, Final Fantasy games, Everquest, Demon souls, Dragon nest, DD Tank, Harvest moon, Puyo puyo, Pokemon, Digimon (the DS one), Tekken games, Street fighter games, Need for speed games.

The ones I recommend: Demon souls, Harvest Moon, Digimon DS, and Maplestory.

Demon's souls is a 3rd person, single player RPG with a linear storyline and progression. Well, it can be played with a friend, but it's definitely more of a single player.

Harvest Moon is a relaxing farming game that's all about the grind. The only Harvest Moon I ever played was Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Everything about it is just relaxing: the soundtrack, the artstyle, and the overall atmosphere of it. The time I spent in trying to complete all Marriage routes was time well-spent.

Digimon DS is basically Pokemon but with more freedom and more complexity. The Digimons can have multiple evolutionary routes they can take, with each evolution requiring some form of requirement(s) (was a pain in the ass to grind). Never really paid attention to the storyline, all I knew is that playing it was a blast.

Maplestory's a 2D platform-based MMORPG with a lot of content, amazing artwork, and amazing soundtracks. One could easily get immersed in the game, unknowingly grinding for hours on-end without gettinf bored. It's also very, very fun to play with friends. I'm not sure how it is now after all the updates, it's been quite some time since I last played it, but it was definitely my most played game back then.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  12. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    Final Fantasy 3(nes one), Dragon Quest 3
    River City Ransom, Super Mario Bros X
    Retro City Rampage, Godfather 3

13. Algoz

Algoz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other games (including some from consoles too)

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    [​IMG]
    the first game in great series. even though it's old, it has AMAZING voice acting. imagine a bloody gothic zelda game, and you get blood omen. great game, everyone should play it. while it has a pc version, i think it's easier play on a PS1 or emulator.

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
    [​IMG]
    A great rpg that has amazing characters, great story and amazing lore. few games that i've played even come close to have an interesting world like this one. the gameplay is a little outdated, and can be a little annoying at times, but the rest totally makes it up.

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
    [​IMG]
    this series started on the super nintendo (at least from what i remember), but this one is always my favorite. plant crops, sell them, and woo the girls in the town! btw, no one touches Elli, she's MY WAIFU!!!

gangbuntu likes this.
  14. kerricthebig

kerricthebig Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wing Commander series
    Freelancer
    Breath of Fire series
    Shining Force 2
    Lufia 2
    Conquests of the Longbow
    Kings Quest series
    Ultima 6 and 7
    Mtg Shandalar

15. Angelusalvus

Angelusalvus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fallout 1 and 2: To me, these games are far better than Fallout 3 and onwards. Fallout 1 and 2 are somewhat tactical RPGs that require a lot of thinking in order to make your build, which can have deep customization. Be warned that Fallout 1 has a time limit for you to complete the game.
    Wizardry 8: it's a quite fun RPG with a good story and lots of costumization options. This review explains it better than me:

16. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
    Sims 2
    Neopets~
    Heroes of Might and Magic
    Mario RPG
    Need For Speed
    Twisted Metal (PS2)
    Alchemy (on .... what's it called... pop cap games?)

Shalalalala, imK and gangbuntu like this.
  17. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Mabinogi, although i haven't been playing it for a long time, it's a really old MMORPG that is really good and unique in my opinion.

Shiroikaze42 likes this.
  18. Algoz

Algoz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More games!

Populous: The Beginning
    [​IMG]
    This is a great strategy game. the whole... shamanist? style of the game, and the sounds and animations of the units can be great! the gameplay is also really fun!

Silver
    [​IMG]
    An interesting action rpg that i've played. the game can be a little difficult to make work fully on new pc's, but it's an interesting game.

Pandemonium!
    [​IMG]
    a 2.5D platformer. I had a lot of fun playing this when i was a child. you can choose to play as the girl, that can double jump, or the clown, that can... pirouette? (sorry, don't know the word for this, english not the first language)

Omnicast likes this.
  19. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Habbo hotel

20. Sayne

Sayne if u read this u are a noob

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear that was my OG OG game when I was younger even before I played MC