Discussion Asians, how do you feel about this video? Link inside

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ATrueStory, Jul 31, 2020.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not pulling your leg.

I just saw this. https://www.facebook.com/bbcfood/videos/hershas-egg-fried-rice/392920944628432/

This is already a year ago but it was on my feed and to say I was horrified was an understatement.

My mouth was gaping at two instances:
    1. She didn't wash the rice. I see this on cooking channels who are predominately from the West. Like why? Why don't you wash the rice? In our house, I do at least 2 washes coz nobody I know want such a starchy rice.
    2. She drained the rice? Like I was WTF at this moment. Why in every saints name? Why do you drain rice with a strainer? You leave it alone, cook it until it's done. I have a feeling the rice grains haven't absorbed enough liquid yet.

I gave a pass at not doing the recipe without using day old rice (as it is supposed to be). I am also not commenting on not using the secret finger technique.

Now, I did a search and she was British with Indian heritage. But it's clear that the recipe is like a Chinese style fried rice. I agree she can have her own twist on it but I feel what she did isnt fried rice at all. Am I overthinking this?

What do you think of the video? Coz that made me feel great that I'm not the worst person to cook rice. I had my weekly battle at home on the way I cook rice - family members have different preferences.

Anyone of you uses the secret finger technique? Cmon, confess!

2. Clumsy Soul

Clumsy Soul Existing

Reading List:
    Link
    Why didn't she washed the rice?? ><

3. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I cant really add to whats already been said. No one who knows how to make rice would use a strainer in their right minds. And washing it, thats also a vital first step.

4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do wash my rice at the beginning and let my rice cook to completion...

Instead of washing the rice at the beginning, she washed it while she was straining it. Yes, that's normally to remove the heat and stop the cooking process but it gets rid of the excess starch too.

And she was cooking rice in a pot. Not a rice cooker. Letting it cook until the water is gone is an easy way to burn the rice. So you watch it carefully until the rice is al dente then pull it off the fire. Water can remain if you put in too much water, which is normally what you do when cooking in a pot to prevent burnt rice.

5. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
  6. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    As an Asian, I was shocked, I couldn't believe that she cooked rice like that, I thought, what the fuck, who cooks rice like that
    First offenses is that she didn't wash the rice
    Second offenses is that she strained the rice
    Third offenses is that she uses metal on metal
    If I did that, my mum gonna kill me :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:
    Edited : Fourth offenses, she didn't fry the garlic first and the seasoning is only a soy sauce :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

7. manga2000

manga2000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She strained and rinsed the rice after cooking it because it was starchy. She should've just rinsed it to begin with. :facepalm:

8. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not Asian, nor have I watched the video (too tired to watch it), but, in our house, washing the rice depends on the type of rice used.

9. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not entirely incorrect if she was making basmati rice...but not right if making Asian fried rice.

10. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Only the God of Rice knows....

if she stops the cooking process then it's fair to assume that her rice is might be cooked at all. Unless she has been doing ti since forever.

I had experience cooking rice in a pot before rice cookers became a thing. Yes, It has to be babied if I dont want to burn the rice at the bottom. But some members of my family like the burned part so I occasionally 'burn' it on purposes. Don't ask me they just want tot scrape the thing.

My Asian grandmas gonna give me a scolding and the stink eye. My mum will just give a long suffering sigh.

11. OhCmmon

OhCmmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If my mother (or any experienced Asian) saw me cooking like that, she would beat me to a bloody pulp and make me kneel for hours straight.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  12. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah same situation here in France, rice in packets/sacks must be washed but rice sold in small 500g/1Kg box (as it's not a staple food here most people don't eat that much rice so big sacks of 5 to 25 kg are pretty scarse) come prewashed and with fast cooking shenanigans...

And for those surprised by rice straining, there is a method called "water excess rice cooking" that work that way (and post cooking water of rice cooked this way is really effective against diarrhea).
    You also should try "creole rice cooking" where rice is lightly cooked in oil (go for the tasty or even flavored ones) before adding water, it's very good blobmelt_thumbs

13. tofuironekosan

tofuironekosan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was horrified at first when I saw the video - I can even see some random black dot floating around as she boils the rice!
    I had a look around and found this article. Apparently you can cook specific types of long grain rice with this "pasta draining" method? (mind you I'll stick with my finger and a rice cooker thanks)

14. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Fk you beat me to it

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  15. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Outside of eating rice from the local Chinese and Mexican restaurants the only other rice I've had is what we make at home and all we do is put the rice in a pot with some water and lipton vegetable soup mix and boil it for 5 minutes let it sit for 20 and its ready to eat maybe put a little butter and salt on it to your preference thats probably heresy here but everyone thats ever tried it says they love it

Anra7777 likes this.
  16. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not Asian, sorry to hijack this thread. It's just that I saw this video some time ago (browsing 9gag lol). Honestly, I don't care how people cook their rice. But if someone served me rice cooked like this, I won't be polite to keep my mouth shut. If your cooking sucks I'm gonna inform you.

Sabruness likes this.
  17. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically ginger would count as a spice, but I don't know...for some reason she just comes off wrong...

18. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So guys, what do you think of when you hear “Asia”. There are so many countries in the continent called Asia I am not sure why you would club everything together. This seems to be a very popular thing these days.

Anyway, that rant aside, another rant on cooking rice. I haven’t seen the video but based on the original post, I am sure what you know about cooking rice is limited to what you have cooked, seen or heard. Maybe this is true for all people. My experience is that there are so many types of rice. I am an India and I have seen and eaten more than 3 kinds in my hometown. I spent 15 years in the US where I have seen even more kinds of rice. I usually only eat the rice eaten in my hometown if I cook. Eating outside is an entirely different story of course. That being said, each type of rice requires different amounts of water to cook properly. That aside, same type of rice depending on when it is harvested (ie how many years its stored) also needs different amounts of water. The difference is enough make it not completely cook sometimes. So based on all these this is what I have seen my grandmom do when I was a kid (back in late 80s) when there was no gas stove or pressure cookers or rather they were not affordable

1. Pick out the dirt in rice - this takes a good 15 minutes or more. This was when rice was sold in India without being cleaned up a lot after harvesting and chaffing. Part of the reason being weight goes up and the seller makes more money I guess but I digress.
    2. Wash rice in water multiple times to get rid of chafe etc
    3. Put more water in and cook until rice is cooked properly while constantly stirring. It is tested by crushing a cooked grain or two with your fingers. When it is almost cooked (think of this like ala dante when cooking pasta), drain the excess water and cook the rice further to get rid of excess moisture. The drained water is sometimes used like a soup or used to feed animals like cows etc. Also while the rice is still on the stove to get rid of excess moisture, it needs to checked constantly to ensure it doesn’t get burned.

All this is done while there is smoke from the stove getting in your eyes and nose. Ahh, good times.
    I am sure your experience is different or even drastically different depending on your environment. So based on this, no, I am not offended with how she cooked rice (in the OP).

Like chef Gustov said in Ratatouille, anyone can cook. . Cooking is an art IMO. So it depends entirely on the cook and again, IMO, the dish should be judged entirely on how it tastes, not whether it is cooked according to your expectations or your style of cooking. This is just my personal opinion, I am not trying to force this on anyone.

phobos, Saorihirai, asriu and 3 others like this.
  19. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    As an asian myself and someone who has learned how to cook rice for more than a decade it makes me cringe, actually all of the videos that teach cooking rice done by people who don't live in countries that has rice as a staple makes me cringe.......sometimes you can even see some videos saying after you watch this you can cook like an expert.....like WTF?!?!?!
    And I also don't understand why some use fork when they eat rice. After learning about people who eat rice using fork I wanted to go on a rampage and beat em up using the same fork they use to eat that rice.

Mahou-nii-sama and Clumsy Soul like this.
  20. Clumsy Soul

Clumsy Soul Existing

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha I am that person who uses fork. My parents always scold me for that :sweating_profusely: