Discussion Factory farms. What's your opinion on them?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Meloonseed, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
?

You still going to eat real meat?

1. No

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No, because I believe it's unethical to eat the meat of sentient beings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, because real meat is horrible for the environment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Yes, I don't really care for what goes on in factories

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. Yes, it tastes delicious

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the way we're going in the future, we might not be able to have real meat. So many artificial meats are popping up, and with so many people pushing for reforms on factory farms, I'm not really sure they'll be able to survive. With the amount of greenhouse gases the animal agricultural sector emits and the inability for them to feasibly mass produce products without a good amount of cruelty, I seriously feel like they could go out of business in a few years.

2. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I once tried to "go green" and tried to buy legit free range eggs. They had chicken poop and weird stuff on a few of the eggs, I went back to factory farmed.
    Factory farms won't end unless a good enough (tastes as good and costs less) alternative appears. Fake meat products just aren't good enough and lab meat is a premium product out of the budgets of average people. I am skeptical of lab meat becoming affordable within our lifespan.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    No one said they are, but it does mean they aren't locked in cages all their lives.

Well, first of all, all eggs come out of a chickens ass be it free range or factory farmed. So poop on eggs is normal. So what you bought wasn't free range but simply them not washing the eggs.

PS Going free range is different than going green. Those are 2 completely different issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020
  4. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    So, i am currently reading this novel called 修真四万年,or 40 millenium years of cultivation
    Where they talk about ancient races creating and mass producing humans in incubators as tools to do their work (kinda like how we create machine to help us with our work). Then i saw whole chicken that is vacuum packaged being stuffed inside a plastic bag at the supermarket, and 4 cmwhile chickens at that, into a regular sized plastic bag, then i imagine the chickens as human fetus...

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hey hey hey!
    what is free range egg? not really know about about term pop up on western farm thing~ thus cat know there movement to make poultry industry more less sadist~

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Free range eggs are eggs laid by chickens who are free range. Obviously the eggs aren't moving on their own, unless a fox is stealing them... but that isn't on their own now is it...

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    wait you mean eggs from hen that roam around on farm or poultry aka not caged chicken?
    hmm that mean hen want to have chicken~ hen do pop eggs regularly after have chick and raise it or reach certain age~ usually place that kinda "hidden" or "high"
    eggs industry simply manipulate food, and chicken (hen) genetic via selective breeding to get better hen on lay eggs aka egg productivity quantity and quality.....

similarly type of chicken on chicken meat industry is different with chicken on regular farm..... or do on western it different?

on this cat country regular farm chick or individual owned chick usually called "ayam kampung", village chicken, bumpkin chick~ da egg usually smaller than industry level eggs~ da meat taste also different cuz da chick move a lot searching food and travel here and there so you can taste da muscle on meat unlike industry level chick that rarely move around~

8. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that anyone (including myself) who regularly eats meat for the pure reason of it being nice to eat has already sunk to the point of regarding animals unworthy of moral consideration and hence can't really preach ethics of how to treat animals ethically without being a hypocrite

Meloonseed likes this.
  9. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Going green means different things to different people/places. Where I'm at trying to eat ethically is generally considered a part of it.

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    The poultry, the eggs obviously can't roam lol. It means the chickens/poultry roam, then lay eggs and those eggs are considered free range.

Buying free range eggs is effectively same as supporting free range chickens.

The same applies when buying meat, free range means the chickens roam.

There are other things in there like certified organic means they don't use chemicals and other things on the chickens.

Going green is usually things that minimize the harm to the environment (relatively). It does not mean ethical.

Only reason I am pointing it out is not to be picky, but simply so people understand that if a product is advertised as green doesn't mean it is ethical. Ideally people go with both.

asriu likes this.
  11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a difference between food and pets. :blobwoah:

Ai chan likes this.
  12. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to break it you, but “free range” does not necessarily mean the chickens are being treated well. Again, I reiterate, one the easiest ways to get more information on the issue is watching:

Also, this:
    https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-does-free-range-really-mean-2538247

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/12/25/10662742/egg-labels-cage-free

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/how-decipher-egg-carton-labels

Meloonseed likes this.
  13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan's thoughts on factory farms? Very good.

Yes, Ai-chan supports factory farms.

You know why we have factory farms? Humans.

We need factory farms to reliably feed us. With more humans being alive ever compared to our entire history, we need more food. We can't make more food unless we clear more land to grow or rear food. There is not much more land to clear, unless you're looking at clearing the forests, you know, the very thing that's been keeping us nice and comfy. Sure, there's hydroponics and vertical farms, but the level of advancement can't keep up with humanity's own growth.

Ai-chan is sure that the vegans would say "Stop eating meat!" Yeah, that's not going to work. You still need to produce the vegetables or grain and when we talk about grains, the paleos would instead say "Stop eating grains!" Vegetables are good, as part of a diet, not on its own. We need animal proteins for various reasons, including but not limited to, increasing our immunity, building muscles and it's well documented that eating meat caused the Japanese and Chinese people to grow much taller than their ancestors who didn't eat meat.

Apart from that, vegetables require similar size of land. Vertical farming on the other hand trades land size with electricity, which means your vegetables now have a carbon footprint. So if you eat vegetables grown through vertical farming, you yourself have indirectly assisted in increasing the carbon problem. In a way, vertical farming is also a type of factory farm.

Is factory farms bad? Sure, in some way. But we need food, and factory farms allow much higher amount of food to be produced compared to free-range animals. Free-range livestock require a god load of land compared to the same number of livestock raised in factory farms. If we don't allow factory farms, sooner or later we WILL run out of food.

That is assuming that CCP virus and 5G (lol really?) don't kill us all first. Of course, we could solve the food problem with another world war.

Bright_Lucky_Star and ongoingwhy like this.
  14. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm definitely going to continue eating meat, right up until the day I die. That said...

Honestly, I'm drawing a lot of comparisons between this statement and the kinds of statements that justify underpaid workers, terrible or absent health care systems, etc. I think, honestly, that it's patently obvious we wildly mistreat animals and that they both can and should have a better quality of life - even if they're being raised for consumption. I don't think our survival as a species depends on how tightly we can pack chickens into cages, at all. We can do better.

15. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Growing up around subsistence farmers, I had a very, let's say, pragmatic stance on animal welfare. Let the chickens free roam because they won't run away, keep the pigs in tiny pen because that's all we have room for. The dog's been eating our chickens? Eat the dog. We raise animals to serve our needs.

I've now been back in the Western world for almost a decade and there are some things I have to acknowledge.

Frankly, most of the meat we eat here is superfluous. Not to say that it doesn't have a nutritional place or that malnutrition doesn't exist in the developed world, but rather, meat usually isn't the cheapest/most efficient source of nutrition available for us. We eat it because we're accustomed to eating it (and it's easy to make it taste good) and, relatedly, it's very accessible (i.e. most restaurants/fast food have a menu very heavily centered around meat dishes). Factory farms are necessary only because we demand lots of meat.

That's not to say I think meat should not be industrially farmed. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-32967764 I would absolutely say that there are communities who would benefit from cheaply available protein.

Meloonseed likes this.