Discussion Carefree Path of Dreams. Good!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by KieranIsMyIdol, Aug 20, 2020.

1. KieranIsMyIdol

KieranIsMyIdol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a novel that I've seen on the list of novels but always ignored due to its less than average score. It's only recently that I had run out of things to read and ended up reading a few chapters from random novels when I discovered that it's one of the most enjoyable novels that I've read. I myself am shocked that I could read over 1100 chapters without having any inclination towards droping it.

Topic of this thread is what everyone else who has read this novel to its later stages thinks of it.

Personally, I've head some problems with it in its initial stages. Most noticable being:
    • Translation quality. This became especially annoying when the translator changed halfway through the novel, just when the previous translator was good/consistent. Thankfully, after some chapters, new translator improved.
    • Withholding information. What I mean by this is, for example, when the MC gets a new item or a new piece of information, author puts it off for a long time before telling the reader about it. In most cases, it might be later in the chapter or after a few chapters but in some extreme cases it's a few hundred chapters instead. It makes reading whatever is between when MC obtains the item an whenever said item is expained unpleasant.

Compared to many other cultivation novels, there are many good points. Some being:
    • Rational main character who isn't swayed by his lust. MC in this novel is by no means a piece of wood. There are many interaction with female characters within the novel and MC can socialize with ease. He can also tell when someone is romantically interested in himself. However, he knows what he wants and doesn't let these emotions destroy himself.
    • Broad perspective. This point alone is enough for me to write a thread about. MC is unresigned being a big fish in a small pond. If a position of authority doesn't help his plans in becoming stronger, he is very decisive abandoning that position. As MCs power grows, this sort of disregard for authority grows as well.
    • True to its title. In its reviews, I saw a few complaining about the novel not being fully slice-of-life and its title being misleading but I myself think that they're not clear of the meaning of the title. The further I've read the more I've come to believe that the title of the novel is one of the most appropriate. Even though the story is full of conflicts, schemes and battles, while dealing with these, MC is quite carefree. At some point, question is no longer about if the MC is going to win, but in what way and how big his victory is going to be. Especially after initial stages of being a dream master, there were only a few times when I felt that MC might be in actual trouble.

Among the cultivation novels I've been reading recently, this one is one of the most easily read and pleasurable ones. I just don't know if I'm being biased or if everyone else has a similar opinion of this novel.

Bloodysin28, juniorjawz and Maomaomao like this.
  2. OhCmmon

OhCmmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, the novel was gradually losing its luster around the Wasteland World. That arc was pretty fucking stale and after he got to Dao Fruit Stage.

3. Shiro12

Shiro12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel itself was constructed around 'carefree'ness. If you're looking for something that isn't or doesn't get 'stale' in Chinese novels, I'd like to know those too. There's a reason why Chinese novels that doesn't get stale are popular. ofc, let's forget 'trash young master' trope lol.

4. Saladinxc

Saladinxc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heu. The translation never got to the standard at beginning. I stop reading even after trying to read the new *bad* quality translation. It just so horrible. I mean, this novel is pretty much my favorite. But I scrapped it because of translation quality at the half.

5. KieranIsMyIdol

KieranIsMyIdol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also felt that the ending with "Abominable Lord" was subpar compared to all the build-up. As for the Dao Fruit Stage, I feel that author is preparing to wrap things up since MC himself said that he can no longer see the path ahead. If author wanted to keep going, it probably would've been possible by ascending to a higher universe which would suppress most of his powers and only keep the dao fruit as a sort of core/seed. I hope that the novel ends in a sort of open ended but plausible way. Even if that isn't the case, I'm pretty satisfied with the novel.

Second translator is indeed pretty bad at the start. But once to push through some chapters, it gets better and might even be superior to the first translator.