How Does Novel Updates Work?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tony, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jolliapplegirl

jolliapplegirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL translations usually are in need of editing and stuff. I suppose it's just editing to make it coherent for readers. That's what I mean.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't see why it is not allowed. it's your choice.

however, we are not able to list that edited version of yours, unfortunately, if it is taken from an existing listing of Novel Updates. (assuming that's what you want to do, if not, then please further elaborate)

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. jolliapplegirl

Reading List:
    Link
    So If I were to edit someone else's releases (ie, someone listed on the site already) NU wouldn't list mine? Is that correct? Cause there are a couple of releases that are nigh unreadable. Would that not be allowed?

4. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    correct. we consider that duplicate.

only on the novel page. you can still link them on the LCD thread of that novel, however.

btw, may i know which novel in question is this? if it was really bad to the point of barely edited mtl, we might even take it down.

5. jolliapplegirl

Reading List:
    Link
    You usually see it mentioned in the reviews. The one I'm going through now is "Deep love and favor: cold-blooded CEO and his young and beautiful wife". The main issue is that alot of the words are mashed together, making it hard to read. Like the sentence 'the cat went across the street to say hi' is instead 'thecatwent across thestreetto say hi.' A lot of the names aren't capitalized or is just mashed together with whatever follows. There are sentences with no spaces between puntucation.

Its why I asked about it cause I feel it isn't fair to leave people with just that.

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, NU will not list your version on the novel page since the translation is the translator's while you are just fixing what I would consider cosmetics. You could try and approach the translator on fixing their mistakes so you can be their editor/cleaner/proofreader.

7. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there some sort of proper channel to go through to get links changed from one place to another when a translator (me) moves to a new site? I'm scared that filling in the 'add release' form with twenty different links might make someone upset...

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Use this:

[​IMG]

9. Sinking Ship

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, will do. Thanks!

10. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do we know whether a release is automated? Do we wait for a few hours and see if it's grabbed and download?

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The first release of any series is never automated and has to be manually added.

Similarly speaking, the first release of any translation site is never automated either.

A few days after the first release though, the bot should have already been set up to stalk your site's RSS Feed, which should make all future releases automated.

Usually speaking, it only takes like, 5 minutes or less for the release to be picked up. But if you're unsure, you can always wait an hour or so.

If the release isn't visible after 1h, it either went to manual queue (in which case it needs mod approval to become visible), or it isn't being picked up by the bot at all.

Bellilelly likes this.
  12. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh TYSM, for now I'll just manually update the chapters since I just released yesterday.

13. Sinking Ship

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there someone to ask when my chapters aren't getting pick up by the bot anymore for some reason? I filled out the 'add release form' too (a couple days ago) but there's been no movement.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    PM @Tony and provide the relevant information and he can check things for you.

15. Sinking Ship

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the advice will do

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean the chapters for centinni (Noble Wife) or for your WordPress (Fall in Love)? Just wondering, but you are still the Translator, aren't you? Since I didn't see the credit on the page.

17. Sinking Ship

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm translating Noble Wife, Don't Fall in Love, and Proud Farm Girl With a Space. This time I was specifically asking about that third one since the other two seem to be updating fine.

18. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure when it started but it seems like https://www.centinni.com/ turned on their DDoS protection which prevents the NU bots from accessing the RSS feed to grab the releases. If you want NU to automatically add the releases again, please whitelist this URL on cloudflare: https://www.centinni.com/feed/manga-chapters

As for the missing chapters you added manually, I'm not sure what happened with those but I've added them for you. I'll look into why those chapters you submitted manually were missing.

If they are updating fine then someone from your team has been adding them. You should ask them if that's the case as the NU bots can't access your site to grab the releases.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Sinking Ship

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the reply I'll ask the site owner to add that link to the whitelist

20. yoonrei

yoonrei New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm trying to add a release for a new series, but it says I cannot add a release without a series but from what I understood I need to first add a release in order for a series to be approved;;; or did I understand something wrong here TT