Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    TokioftheBel and LaDyViL like this.
  2. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to recommend one of two things:
    • That the tag 'Fast Cultivation' be renamed to 'Rapid Strength Growth' (as it only covers Cultivation novels right now.)
    OR
    • A tag for rapid growth be added for non-cultivation novels.
    Right now, the only similar tag is 'Sudden Strength Gain' (which implies that it's a one-off event in the definition).
    I'll use Everyone Else is a Returnee as an example. Yu IlHan levels up at an insanely fast pace, but since this isn't a Cultivation novel, using the 'Fast Cultivation' tag is rather inappropriate.

MangoGuy likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Originally, cultivation is a systematized manner of gaining strength, and thus a standard pace of growth which is the norm exists. In the novels you want to bring in, does this rapid growth of protag go against the set existing rate of growth? Or rather... Does there exist any norm about the rate of growth?

Secondly... Would the tag become too generic? Originally, there are series with a ridiculous rate of growth for protag. This can be understood from the age of the others at that realm. In a non cultivation series, every protagonist seem to grow very quickly. So, the 'ridiculous' growth rate needs some normal to compare with, if you get me.

I am not against the changes you suggest, but I am just thinking out loud on what could negatively impact the efficacy of this tag.

AMissingLinguist and Ral like this.
  4. rukbat

rukbat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where the fuck is the isekai tag

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing your professionalism is required.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  7. rukbat

rukbat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    awesome, 9 tags to do the job of one. Let me get my enthusiasm out of the glove compartment in my car

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    if you would prefer to suggest some changes, then you can comment in this thread. Sass is not welcome here, unless backed-up with a coupled reasoning. Isekai unfortunately has diversified into a genre of its own with intricate sub genres, so expecting a single tag to describe them all is foolish. I would have supported your cause for an isekai genre independent from the fantasy setting (tho it will be tough to convince people), but the way things look... Good luck sounding credible!

9. Raiyu

Raiyu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can a tag specifically for Live-streaming or broadcasting be added? Or is there one I'm not finding? There seems to be quite a few works where that is a major element in the story (especially in BL and lately in horror), which would be helpful in the series finder. I've tried looking for similar tags but most of those works tend to be marked with tags that are either too wide (Futuristic Settings, Showbiz) or too narrow (e-Sports, Chat Rooms) to be used for this particular plot device.

10. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel's page > Tags > Edit
    upload_2020-10-31_13-44-4.png
    Request Tag
    upload_2020-10-31_13-44-37.png

Raiyu and AMissingLinguist like this.
  11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    What exactly do you mean by Streaming? As in... How does it fit into the story dynamic? I don't think that an exciting tag covers it so if you could define it properly, I am sure the new tag will be approved.

12. Raiyu

Raiyu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Live-Streaming - When someone broadcasts or streams live on an online platform as a source of income. This can usually cover a variety of topics, such as e-Sports, cooking, crafting, horror, etc. This tag is meant for novels where live-streaming is a major component of the novel and helps move the plot along rather than a minor side hobby included in the work.

Does this definition help? I'm looking at novels like Horror Camgirl, Film Emperor's Live Cooking Broadcast, Live Broadcasting Raising Dragons in the Interstellar for the examples.

13. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there tag for "No CP"?? /using ctrl + f but only find early romance / late romance
    I see in jjwxc has those tag.

No CP - MC doesnt end up with anyone / no ML nor FL / when the story has romance and ambiguous hint (someone pursuing mc) but not end up with anyone.

^ usually world hopping does that, MC only focus on task, romancing with guy, but actually in the end MC doesnt end up with anybody..

Note: feel free give it better name and explaination.

Example:
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/quick-transmigration-with-female-lead-aura/ --> it is tagged as romance, but she end up with no one.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/retired-villainess-transmigrates-into-a-cannon-fodder.109242/ --> it is tagged as romance, but she end up with no one.

14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    "Romance" as a genre is not about 'ending up with anyone'. there's a lot of romance story that ends up with the character dying.

15. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That tag will be romance + death of love one + tragedy then..
    Or if MC likes someone but dont end up with them unrequited love + romance

But how to describe MC doesnt end up with anyone because they want no ML/FL? :hmm:

The romance is there, so cant be tagged as romantic subplot, it is major.
    It cant be tagged as unrequited love too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance probably describes the story mechanism, and not the ending. When you see romance, you get no info if the ending is happy, or sad, or interpretive.

You seem to be suggesting that there is this trend where there is no end for the story? Or like... I don't quite understand what you mean by not ending with anyone.

17. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I mean is the MC is stay single, MC doesn't end up with anybody.
    Usually romance will end up ML x MC or MC x FL right?
    But this one MC stays alone. << but since the progress full of romance it can't be tagged as no romance.

For example: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/quick-transmigration-with-female-lead-aura/

1. Every arc she get married with 'ML', she need to farm 'ML's love by romancing with him.
    2. At the ending, she didn't end up with him, when she complete the task / free, she didnt become couple with any of the MLs.
    3. She has clear mind, she doesnt want to romance with anybody. She doesnt fell in love with anyone, she is only doing her task.

But you get to know if it is early romance / slow romance

Slow romance:

Definition:
    Where the protagonist only meet or develop feelings for the love interest at a late point in the novel (either half way or a few hundred chapters in). AND has no love interest before hand.

Early Romance

Definition:
    The romance aspect of this novel, involving the main character, already apparent very early in the storyline, usually in the first 50 chapters for Chinese novels, or 10 chapters for Korean and Japanese novels.

Meanwhile this one

No CP -> idk how to word it better
    - romance is exist in this novel, but protagonist do not end up with any of the love interest. / she is not aiming become a couple with the potential love interest.
    - usually it is forced romance that mc doesn't want, or they use the romance to gain some benefit for their own interest.
    - regardless of romance in early chapter, mc will end up single.

^^ if it is explained crudely the level is same with s*x friend
    Definition:
    As the name suggests, this tag indicates the presence of a 's*x friends' relationship between the protagonist and one or more than one other individuals. s*x friends refers to the relationship where the couple takes part in sexual activity without any real romantic feelings, and just to sate their sexual desires. In the future, they may develop romantic feelings.
    you both have s*x but in the end it is just a s*xual activity without any real romantic feelings, and just to sate their s*xual desires.

so in here, no cp: you may got romance but you dont end up become couple with them.

I'm sorry of my bad explaination :sweating_profusely:, I'm bad at it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    In harem novels as well where there is no clear couple forming at the end, we still use the romance genre with no additional tag. I get what you are trying to suggest. It is not an inconclusive romance, because the relationship definitely ends. But it is also not tragic, as the ending is not part of their love story at all. So you feel like a separate tag which is tailored to such novels should be created.

For starters, I think you can shoot maybe 4-5 series which have that type of romance mechanism, because I am not sure how popular this is. Also, please do tell what is the full form of CP. It is very confusing right now, as I try to wrap around a definition or even a name.

Because for me, personally, there is no need for such a tag at all. If the love story ends on a happy note, that's good. If it ends on a sad note, it is a tragedy. I feel that even your incomplete ones fall under the happy side, because the lack of conclusion itself implies that it was a relationship never meant to be. So instead of turning tragic, they just separated. Of course, this is from someone who hasn't actually read these series. Do list a couple of them so a definite pattern can be established. That will greatly help your case.

19. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    CP usually means couple/character pairing.

Raebit likes this.
  20. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it inconclusive romance type.

It is similar to gaybaiting too, they look gay enough, but at the end they didn't end up as couple at all! => this is hard to tag, they look gay but they cant be tagged as yaoi.

Yes, I'm agree seperating / decide to be single isn't always tragic, but it is a fact they stay single. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Thank you!, I will list it if I remember more :D