Novel Navigation

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by jacha, Oct 7, 2020.

1. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I need some help

I'm the plugin Novel Navigation Links for my site, which works when I post complete chapters. But I also want to post chapters in parts.

Does anyone has any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What? I'm sorry, I don't know what your saying. Do you want to change Novelupdates links for past chapters?

3. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope, i'm talking about navigation on my site

4. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean by past chapters in parts? Could you link your site and show an example?

5. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry, I meant "post" chapters in parts

6. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Of, I get it now. So you want to post a chapter in multiple parts. What are you using, WordPress blogger or something else? Have you tried just typing the word next chapter previous chapter and then embedding the hyperlink to the address you want it to go?

7. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm using word. The typing and embedding, i was using it before I was recommended the plugin I'm using now. Typing and embedding is quite cumbersome, let alone I can't integrate in seamlessly with the plugin

8. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Then it's going to depend a lot on the plugin you use. Have you looked at the plugin's main page to see their help pages. Most WordPress plugins have a FAQ or main features page.

9. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the plugin i'm using has very a simple function, it functions with intergral numbers. In other words, it links chapters 1, 2, and 3, but it won't link chapter 1, 2.1, 2.2, and 3. So I either find a new plugin or something, or when I post, I must assign integral numbers to my chapters, even if some of them are partitioned. Example, 1, 2.1, 2.2, and 3 will become 1, 2, 3, and 4. The latter is also a bit annoying, because i'll have to be careful not to screw up the numbering. Also, I don't know how NU will regard them. Will Nu regard the chapters as 1, 2.1, 2.2, and 3 or, will it regard them as 1, 2, 3, and 4

10. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    As for novelupdates, it would name them after the title of the page. I'm pretty sure the atomic chapter retrieval would take what ever you name the page. Assuming that the plugin your using requires you to title the chapter series ch 1 and series ch 2 to link them together then novel updates will take the series ch1 and ch 2 even in the ch 2 is actually ch 1.2. The only way to get around this would be to start updating you chapters to novelupdates manually and messaging the staff that you no longer want your series to be updated automatically. This is a lot of work. I think you would be better off finding another plugin, more so if your goal is automation. Sorry I can't be of more help. To do what you want would require redesigning the plugin. You could ask another question to see if anyone has any recommendations but most people don't use plugins.

11. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll just manually type "next/ previous chapter" and embed hyperlink when needed

12. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried numbering them 2-1, 2-2, instead of 2.1, 2.2?

If that doesn't change anything, you might want to try this instead.

13. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried, but it doesn't work. On the plugin's information, it even said that nothing the like will work.
    I tried the plugin you recommended, but it seems to have a few bugs. The arrows don't appear on pages (although in settings it says that they should appear). Also, when navigating posts, it skips some of them... With this, I lost the motivation to see if it solves my issue or not.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion

14. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I've looked at the code and it's a very simple plugin that only subtracts 1 from your page's link to give you the previous chapter and adds 1 for the next chapter.

I get that chapter 1 points you to chapter 2 instead of 2.1, but does chapter 2.1 point back (previous chapter) to 2.0, 1.1, or not at all?

15. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chapter 2.1 is completely out of the loop. as for 2.1, it is part of the 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 loop

16. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can either manually add correct links going from the first part to the previous chapter (/part) and from the last part to the next chapter (/part), because this plugin will not achieve that... or you can scrap that plugin and change the way you post chapters (move old ones, etc.. but you'll most likely have to update old links).

What I mean:
    1. You create a main/parent page for each series/novel you're translating.
    2. You post chapters as child pages.
    3. Follow this to make a list (TOC) of a novel on its parent page.
    4. And this for the prev/next navigation.

Hope this helps.
    NU uses RSS, so as long as RSS displays the correct numbering in the title field, you should be good.
    What you're changing is the link, not the title, right? I mean, link probably fills in based on the title, but it can be edited, yes?
    Test it out on your end.
    Oh, you might also want to start using categories for your novels, because even if bots can get names from the title, it's better to have them in both the title and the category.