Resolved Progress Tracker for novels

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by zivoy, Oct 18, 2020.

1. zivoy

zivoy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be nice to have a progress tracker for series that don't or can't update the Latest Release table so that users can track their current progress on a novel.

Users that benefit from this:
    Users who would benefit from this follow many series and need a place to track their novels' progress.

Examples of series that can use this feature:
    • Practically every Qidian novel bein translated by Qidian International
      • they put the chapters behind a paywall, but they can be unlocked using "Coins" that you can purchase or earn
    • Novels like Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite
      • The translations are allowed by the author, and the group is still translating (they are currently on chapter 112), but they can post the releases on Novel Updates, and they have to take measures so that aggregator sites won't steal it
    While Qidian does offer progress tracking, the other groups like the TL group of Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite and Wuxiaworld, who also started adwalling their content, do not.

Rudimentary envisioning:
    [​IMG]
    excuse my poor HTML. I was trying to have all the inputs on one line.
    I was also considering having it near the "Status in COO" area so that the second box won't be needed, but that might be confusing since it's supposed to be editable and unique to the user.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    pardon me for asking, but any chance you missed the 'manual reading list' function?
    manual_readinglist_1.jpg
    manual_readinglist_2.jpg
    manual_readinglist_3.jpg
    manual_readinglist_4.jpg ..
    manual_readinglist_5.jpg
    the last one (7) is for private notes

AliceShiki, Ral and Blitz like this.
  3. zivoy

zivoy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, I did miss it.
    And I just looked at it, and turning on manual reading list disables the one done through the table for all the novels in the list. It would be nice to have the ability to turn manual reading only on some novels on the list or have the table change the value of the current place in manual mode rather than have them be separate. I don't really want to split my currently reading list into multiple ones.
    Also, what about a feature that allows you to edit the progress on the page of the novel rather than just from the reading list?

I am aware of the notes.

also, I noticed a minor inconvenience with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not really a problom, but it's worth mentioning

4. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    You only need manual list after you reach the end of free releases that get displayed here.
    Just move these novels to a separate list - there's no need to keep all novels on just one.

Still, personally, I'd prefer to see the "walled" chapters (they could be without links) so it's easier to mark your progress. Especially if you forgot to update a series that gets walled after completion (WW).

Angely, zivoy and AliceShiki like this.