2020 Webnovel is recruiting Fan Translators for dropped projects - 30% Revenue Share

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FanTranslatorsUnited, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanTranslatorsUnited

FanTranslatorsUnited Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not 100% official since they haven't made any announcement. The relevant details are followed:

https://forum.webnovel.com/d/43431-50-revenue-share-to-fan-translators-for-translate-dropped-novels

replies from WEBNOVEL_OFFICIAL
    If a fan translator takes up the offer, I would recommend
    English version: https://www.webnovel.com/book/world's-best-martial-artist_14495258805541605
    Chinese version: https://book.qidian.com/info/1012237441

One of the best novels ever on Qidian. It won the monthly tickets ranking several times and very popular with Qidian readers.

Anyway, that's my pick. What dropped novels would you like to see pick up?

Westeller and Ruki-sama like this.
  2. FanTranslatorsUnited

FanTranslatorsUnited Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other suggestions:

https://forum.webnovel.com/d/43431-...an-translators-for-translate-dropped-novels/8

Maybe the FAN translators can united and form a group to do this.

Create a Patreon for this group. Split the Patreon revenue equally among the translators by chapters translated per month.

So the fan translators will get two sources of income:

1) 30% Revenue Share of Coin Purchase
    2) Patreon income

With greater income, there will be more fan translators joining in. Many licensed dropped novels will be translated again. It's a win-win-win for everyone.

https://forum.webnovel.com/d/43431-...n-translators-for-translate-dropped-novels/34

the sticky/pinned thread would be something like this:

2020 Webnovel is recruiting Fan Translators for dropped projects - 30% Revenue Share

(the thread should mention that the authors will also get 30% revenue share so the fan translator is directly helping the original author)

30% to fan translator
    30% to author
    30% to webnovel as publisher/platform
    10% for cost of wire transfer / administrative expense for overseeing these projects

Also mention that all these fan translations of dropped projects will have their GIFT FUNCTION turn on so that wealthy readers can donate as a thank-you for picking up these dropped projects.

I don't get why the gift function is not mandatory for all TRANSLATED novels. It is with Qidian. All VIP/premium novels are mandatory to have gift function. Qidian and Qidian authors have benefited from this gift function ever since Qidian made it 10+ years ago.
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/35338-why-some-translated-novels-have-no-gifts-function

Ruki-sama likes this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Last time they tried to recruit, it wasn't going so well, to say the least.

Beren and Sabruness like this.
  4. Nai waa

Nai waa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought advertising is not allowed? :blobpeek: Are you an undercover agent for webnovel? :blobspearpeek:

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a Qidian Spy Among Us.

:blobcat_knife:

6. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    Flashbacks to most fanfics:

*Shudders in bad quality*

Not to point any fingers, but seeing as how the account was created a few days ago, yes. That seems to be the case

7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    In light of Web novels bad behaviour and unsavory acts there are still few novels id like to finish reading that were dropped or are in hiatus atm.
    Way of the Devil
    White robed chief
    RSSG

Heartless likes this.
  8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Only advise to translators: get the contract through a lawyer before signing. Fans and corporate stans are different.

9. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    In other words, they get 70% commission for all coins purchased that is used to read your content.

In comparison, Apple only have a 30% commission for all purchases made through your app.

sophiecool05 likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the same webnovel that rejected my offer to translate their novel for free.
    They have been using Machine translations more brazenly, so I find it hard to believe this even if it is true

11. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't require free translation. Income sharing is not free anyway. Aside from that, translator can solely distributie the transaltion on Webnovel, no more places else, included translator's own blog, personal websites, or selfowned app.

btw, we are always welcome fan translators to join and provide translations that they love, with income sharing model. Unfortunatelly most of pervious candidates asked for distirbuting outside from Webnovel.

This is not a new policy. We opened it from day 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2020
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the contract is not excessive I would be interested. For example, I should be allowed to quit whenever I want without penalties and monthly quota should be flexible.

I find this thread funny since I suggested this years ago. Instead of being seen as the enemy, if Qidian had done this from day 1, they would have been seen as allies and it would have been a lot cheaper than paying $2,000 per month regardless of the popularity of the novel

strayCat0 and animefan217 like this.
  13. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hopefully many dropped good novels can be picked up.

14. Ruki-sama

Ruki-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovels should make an announcement about this policy

animefan217 likes this.
  15. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ah so other translators get paid per chapter like cktalon/atlas but for these dropped projects, it sounds like they dont get paid anymore and only get paid 30% of the 'donations' + paid coins used to buy the chapter?

strayCat0, Irisia and Westeller like this.
  16. LiLi041

LiLi041 【Lucky RNG Halo】【Eternal Townie】

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I'm just picking at the wrong thing, but doesn't the webnovel forum post sound weird? The OP keeps on insisting that "FAN translators" (yes, fan is capitalized) are translating out of love, not out of desire for money... but then wants the translator to get a bigger cut than even the author. Like, 50% for author/site sounds nice, but then once the site takes their cut, there's not much for the author.

Then, the OP gave up on that idea, I guess... went back to the 30:30:30 plan. Well, I feel like overall, OP doesn't know much about fan translating?

^Like that. Pretty sure it's not true...

Most fan translators don't make that much money from translating anyway, so 30% or 50% shouldn't make that much of a difference. Most really are just translating for free. Lots of fan translators just translate for fun. Occasional donations are nice, but not required.

So, money's not the main issue... and it's a little strange that the OP talks about hiring 'FAN translators' who translate for fun, but need money as their motivation.

--

But... you don't even know any Asian languages. Just saying. Idk about your translation quality, but most people on NUF seem to be saying it's bad?

Even real jobs wouldn't give you so much freedom. Actually, most real jobs would never give these kinds of "not excessive" conditions. What 'quitting whenever you want, with no penalty'? What 'flexible monthly quota'?? Like... are you planning on going there to work or to play.

--

Back to this thread's topic!

Overall, I would say the one novel I want to see picked back up on Webnovel is Virtual World: Close Combat Mage!! I don't know why the translation stopped at chapter 800, but there's only about 100+ chapters to go... (I say 'only' because there's already 800 translated, so percentage-wise it's pretty close).

Not sure if I would personally choose to pick it up, because as a CN translator, I mainly translate BL and as a student, I don't actually have much time on my hands and would like to use that time to work on my current projects.

Also, I'll just mention that Webnovel doesn't have that great of a reputation, making it the company to stay away from when translating. I'm not sure if that'll change, but that's probably another reason why translators are unwilling to join right now.

Webnovel's attitude towards translators is also not very nice. In their FAQ, one of the questions was asking why a novel's chapters were coming out late or sporadically or something. Guess what their answer was? The first line said something like... "the translators are probably just lazy."

Edit: I found the question (https://sites.google.com/view/webnovel-faq/misc?authuser=0#h.p_e4sNZnMUF9zg).
    Like... um. How offensive can they be??? That's super rude and that definitely shouldn't be their first explanation. What kind of impression are they trying to give people, even??

Basically, Webnovel just seems like a horrible place to be as a translator...

--Edit: came back and realized my phone somehow malfunctioned when posting. The below part should've been a new post... well, whatever! This is okay too--

But really, it's not just hearsay... plus you yourself said you didn't know any Asian languages.

Also, your moral character is poopy. That's what I've seen for myself, based on what you say and what you do, not just hearsay. And the work conditions were also unreasonable. You're just asking to do whatever you want (like "you want me to do a set amount of work every month like every other company? Nooo I should only have to do however much I want to do." That only works when you're not getting paid to do a job. Don't act like you're the king and the companies are trying to beg you to join them- like yeah, they should definitely agree to all your demands, of course!) and then pat your butt and leave whenever you want with no commitment at all. That's not just hearsay either.

So yeah, now I regret responding to you in my first post. I should've just ignored you like everyone else does. My bad. I'll do that from now on~ :blobangel:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you know nothing about the quality of my translations. Shut up.
    Since you go on hearsay, and pretend to be some authority on subjects. I cannot help but pity you.

18. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not our FAQ, that one was built by readers ok forum.

19. LiLi041

LiLi041 【Lucky RNG Halo】【Eternal Townie】

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. But wasn't it the one approved by you guys? I mean, you guys linked to it in your help center (like a promotion, I guess? I wouldn't have found it otherwise): https://webnovel.com/help

*Note: 'Speical' was originally spelled that way on the site, it's not me mispelling the word.

That post leads to this link: https://forum.webnovel.com/d/6600-the-faq-read-before-posting

So...

20. froztyh

froztyh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha it's almost like you're implying webnovel staff reads their forums, funny joke friend! :)

Lacking Motivation and Nai waa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.