Discussion Questions about Vtubers.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ruyue, Nov 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never quite understood the appeal of VTubers. I've watched a few videos, but I've always quickly lost interest.

Why do you watch Vtubers?
    - Is it the 3D anime avatars or is it the actual content they make that interests you?
    • (If the 3D anime avatar aspect was stripped away, would you continue to watch VTubers?)
    • Is the content that VTubers make any different from the content of normal youtubers?
    - Who are your favorite VTubers and what sets them apart from the other Vtubers?

Vtuber Explosion
    - With the recent, explosive rise of Vtubers, do you think Vtubers will become an integral part of youtube or is it just a passing trend?
    - Holo Live Productions is the current king of the Vtuber Industry. Are there any other rising Vtuber companies that you are aware of?

2. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a clip of Yagoo saying that there are people who wants to be idols but don't have idol qualities (looks and/or confidence). Hololive is a few of these girls.

I don't watch Markiplier for his looks or the game he plays. I watch him for HOW he plays. It's the same as the Vtubers.

3. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Started watching Nyanners occasionally a few months ago after the drunk trucker video showed in recommended on YouTube. I've seen others but it's the 'stupid' persona that I find amusing for short videos not streams. A few of her music videos were interesting too. Since I don't particularly enjoy streams I'll likely just watch clips of the best parts on YouTube.

- It is the content, the avatar bobbing around is slightly annoying but only slightly. The 'stupid' humor though might be harder to take if I saw a real face, really hard to tell without seeing both.

- Everything is a trend, including YouTube if you live long enough.
    - didn't realize Holo Live Productions was a company until you wrote it above.

4. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shhhhaaaaaaarrrkkkkkkk!!!

5. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    They're just like every Youtuber; they each have a style that you may or may not enjoy depending on how they edit their videos and their voices.

For instance, Pekora and Subaru are nice to watch since they're both a little dumb which play into the comedic moments, which go well with their avatars, while Haachama is the Asian girl that learned what 420 memes are.

"The Big Shark" is quite interesting in that she sings well and even had a Youtube channel where she parodied songs. This was before she joined her team, just look up Senzawa or rather listen to this. You'll understand:

She's more interesting than Ina, who likes to draw but can also do some karoke (I think).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  6. froztyh

froztyh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't watch the streams however do look at some of the highlights, it's probably here to stay whit ai improving the 3d will just get better and if you look at how much money some of them are making it opens up more possibilities for the virtual characters

that guy went professional in something?

7. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the same person~ XD Nice

8. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    He's probably talking how he jokes around in his videos, while also getting emotional during the sadder/more sensitive moments in games.

RainMorga and AMissingLinguist like this.
  9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is a complex question, as one of the main draws of VTubers comes from the versatility in content that they produce. Some people just like their music, some people just like their gameplay, some people like the comedy videos that they put out, and some people just like the community with the memes. For example, my brother is mostly interested in Ninomae Ina'nis since she's a very good artist, and that's his thing.

The avatars are a large part of the appeal since they separate the character from the person inside them, and it links the vtuber community with the anime community. The avatar also gives the person playing the character more freedom to say things without restraint, as they don't have the same risks as in-person streamers in terms of getting doxxed based on reflections of scenery in their eyes.

As for the similarity to other YouTubers, they exist within the same site so they do have overlap as to how their content grew, but most of it's uniqueness comes from the fact that they are primarily based around Japan. They are likely to do more collaborations with traditional YouTubers as well since Calliope said in the last podcast she was in that she wanted to collab with moistcr1tical (or charlie/pengiun0.)

My favourite VTuber is Ars Almal. I have various reasons for this attachment, such as the fact that she streams at a reasonable time (for me) and I find her Minecraft streams incredibly entertaining. She also is in general really funny, and I find she's a great way to practice my Japanese.

I don't think VTubers will likely die soon, but I'm not sure about their state in the west, but the lore that is building right now seems to indicate continued growth for the foreseeable future. I'm expecting we'll see another wide explosion of interest in VTubers on the English internet when hololiveEN generation 2 debuts.

Overall, I'd say it makes sense if some people don't see the appeal of VTubers, especially if you're just trying to get into it because it seems to be popular right now. I've been on the scene since Kizuna Ai, and a lot of Japanese creators have become accessible to me via that medium. I do still watch other content, but I very much hope to see the VTuber community continue to grow and evolve over time as I've seen it do in the last 4-ish years.

10. Tinkerlin

Tinkerlin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    imma be honest, real people scare me, so the cover of anime people helps me not be put off

Lurking, Rivenn, Leo William and 4 others like this.
  11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to clarify, I'm not really familiar with the English vtubers compared to the Japanese vtubers.

AMissingLinguist and Shizukani like this.
  12. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz it's entertaining....

I'm just sick and tired of:

< It's just a prank bro videos ex. you know those two famous brothers whatever their called i just don't find them entertaining and similar people to them.

< Politics infiltrating into the usual comedy.

< Creating Drama for contents this was a thing few years ago dunno about now.

Nijisanji

Gate, JinVodka, Leo William and 2 others like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    To add to this, VTubers tend to discourage any sort of controversy (other than that one guy we don't talk about) so it's a nice way to remove yourself from the real world.

14. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, I can't really say much since I only watch 1 vtuber, the English hololive watson and that's occasionally. I just listen to them in the background as I would with normal streams while I work on my assignments or research.

At the end of the day, vtubers aren't that different from normal YouTubers other than having an animated body, which provide different appeals to different people. Some people might like the anime aesthetic, might more closely associate and like to watch an animated figure than just a stranger, etc..
    Oh, and Vtubers are gonna rise in the future most likely, with the tech becoming more readily available. I've already seen some other YouTubers and streamers mess around with it

15. zephyroths

zephyroths A Passingby Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Vtuber is pretty much youtuber that uses their anonimity to their advantage.

If without their avatars they can be as interesting, I wouldn't mind watching them.

As for contents, there's basically no content vtubers do that normal youtubers can't.

My favorites are Coco and Haachama. I like how despite Hololive is introduced as an idol vtubers group, they act nothing like idols

16. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it's the feeling of having someone to talk to, when nobody else is there. The 3d animatiion also helps as we don't really see the actual person, giving both the viewers and the audience a sense of anonymity and security to talk about things they usually don't.

Also, I advise you not to watch those 1 hr long streams and maybe just follow their clips. Streams could get quite boring unlike the shorter clips where you can see them freely fooling around.

17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, meme review is a pretty great time. Watch for anyone doing special event streams. Asacoco is a nice way to go for most people imo.

Shizukani likes this.
  18. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I've started getting into vtubers recently, and for me, AT FIRST I liked the visual aspect of it (insert gguk's "cute anime girls" voice here)

But of course after I started watching, I started finding them interesting as well. As for the particular reason, I don't really know to be honest. I could point out some things, but I think I wouldn't be able to explain myself very well. And so, I just found myself sinking deeper into the rabbit hole and watching most of the archives and yeah. I really don't have much patience in watching things so I got surprised how I even watch their lives/archives that lasts for 1-3hrs (usually). I'm so amazed by them, like, I imagine doing lives to be super difficult you know? So cool and so awesome! They deserve more fans tbh :blob_teary::blob_teary:. But well, that's just my opinion of course!

As for now I'm just mostly involved in the hololive EN girls. So yeah. It's just so fun to watch :blob_teary:. And I like to hold on to things that I genuinely enjoy nowadays. Cause that's important. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

shyja and Leo William like this.
  19. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on how much free time you have. I'm a student so I can't really spend an hour or half to watch those. A few clips are enough for me

Leo William and UnGrave like this.
  20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait... there is something on youtube other than cat videos?

Who knew...

But that begs the question of why watch anything other than cat videos?

AMissingLinguist likes this.