Discussion Should I watch or read Re:Zero?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by UnknownSaint171, Nov 26, 2020.

1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I was resolute to just read the Novel. I remember watching a Youtube video explaining how many details the Anime skipped over or changed but then I later found another video of my favorite Youtuber saying how much of an awesome Anime was. Now I'm in a dilemma

From my experience, novels usually tend to be better than the adaptions themselves

Idk what do you guys think I should do to get the best experience out of the story?

2. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously reading it gives the best experience, the anime can't cram in all the content in however many episodes.

But personally, I don't think I'll ever bother with it as it seems too convoluted to make sense.

3. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the published LNs first. Then later when you feel like it watch the anime.

Honestly, either way you're going to watch the anime. But if you watch anime first, you'll spoil the story. On the other hand, even if you read the novels first, you'll still have a lot to look forward to the anime adaption.. like how do characters look? What did the anime skipped? How did they animated that particular scene.. etc. Good luck.

4. UnknownSaint171

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha now you see why I'm in a dilemma. I guess I'll grit my teeth and read the novel. The Anime seemed so extremely tempting though.. Your right I will watch it one day in the future

anotherAniket likes this.
  5. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get you bro,
    ReZero LNs are not even halfway done. WN is in arc 6. Author is planning to end it on arc 11 iirc.
    Whatever you choose to read now, you'll have to wait for further LN releases/ WN translations/raws. Or you can just wait till novels get completed which is easily 5+ years.
    I for myself, got so burnt out on arc 5; decided not to read it ever.
    So, if you're not in the mood for reading the novels, you can just watch the two seasons of anime and be done with it, for now at least. For novels, the later you start reading them, the more you'll get to read. Do whatever you feel like.

Gin_Hindew and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  6. UnknownSaint171

Reading List:
    Link
    Burnt out?
    There's 10 volumes of LN translated but ah I get what you mean there's over 20 LNs in Japan... I can't imagine how far behind you'd be in both anime/LN and a new season coming out as well.. Ugh how frustrating. I might have to wait after all lol

7. Renzy

Renzy 『⚓』『JackOfAllTrades』『7years』

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekais are good to watch in anime.. if there is a game system.. its better if only manga

8. WorkingFan

WorkingFan New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say read the novel first before watching the rezero anime since the anime skip some content

9. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The anime first, honestly, the story has some flaws i could not take seriously, so i recommend you see the anime to get into the core premise sooner, if you feel its your thing then go ahead and dive deeper into the novel, but if you dont like it that much then you will know to just stick to the anime
    Basically, if you like it you can always take more time to read the novel, but if you dont like it you will not recover the time spent on the novel

10. evil lnfant

evil lnfant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So does this actually get good at some point? I watched a couple episodes and so far, Subaru, the MC failed to show me that he's able to function as a normal, logical human being. He had to revive 3-4 times, same scenarios, interactions etc. to figure out that he's winding back time at a check point despite knowing a lot (A LOT) about generic anime tropes. He continued to act like a creep, thinking that people will recognize him despite clearly winding up time. I'm sorry, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to ignore these signs even when you're "apparently" open enough to the idea of Isekai and magic. And why is he not taking full advantage of his ability to wind up time? Human beings, at some point will lose the fear of death even if they can't withstand pain when they're aware that they can never die. In the first place, death is fearsome mainly because we don't know what happens afterwards, but it's not like we're completely incapable of overcoming it. Why do people commit suicide otherwise? And why is he so lacking in self awareness? Like god, the dude is just downright annoying. I see a lot of people saying that Subaru displays how most people would react when placed in such a situation, but will we, really? I'm not even talking about geniuses, I'm just talking about normal, average people. Would you guys act as boisterous, clingly and impractical as Subaru? Would you be that incompetent even after confronting several life-death scenarios in a row? Would you fail to adapt to your new environment and abilities making use of your past knowledge to get the best possible outcome? I honestly would rather watch an immoral character who's smart enough to plant suicide magic on himself(?) and gets shit done than an incompetent pseudo-moralistic sob who's virtually incapable of learning unless things gets drilled into his empty head.
    Anyway, with that rant out of the way, I'm going to go back to my question: Does this piece of shit ever grow out of being an incompetent pseudo-moralist or does he stay that way?

Exalted, ullysis, meilin2 and 6 others like this.
  11. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching first season along with the reddit discussions was one of my best watching experience. I dislike the last few episodes of season 1, either they changed the animation style or just ran out of budget. And I couldn't get into the second season. I used to mention this arc is unadaptable. I guess I was wrong, but the reviews of season 2 seems mixed.

12. evil lnfant

evil lnfant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Re:zero is boring. Utterly boring, completely dull, overwhelmingly monotonous, unconditionally mind-numbing, wholly prosaic, purely monochrome, comprehensively tedious, positively unexciting, absolutely uninteresting, unequivocally wearisome, extremely tiresome, downright humdrum, categorically mechanical, deeply run-of-the-mill, outright uneventful, severely dreary and profoundly soul-destroying.

On the bright side if your kid's having trouble sleeping, read this to them.

Re:zero, a better sleep inducer than temazepam!

This novel gets a lot of praise for not relying on the usual tropes of genius MC, ridiculous power-ups for the protagonist and unlimited plot-armor for the main character, but honestly so what if the author doesn't use such things? I would rather read a novel filled to the brim with those tropes than this novel, simply because they're entertaining!

This novel can be cleansed of all cliches imaginable, and it still wouldn't make it good. This author doesn't have a creative bone in his body. His go-around for the cliches is simply to replace them with blandness and bullshit concepts.

Instead of 'ridiculous power-ups' we get 'boring, plot convenient concepts'.

Instead of 'unlimited plot-armor' we get 'return by death'.

Instead of 'super talent MC viewed as tr*sh' cliché we get 'autistic MC viewed as average'.

A good way to tell the existence of plot-armor in this novel is by the fact that the MC is stupid in every way yet will still become "respectable".

The fight is, yes you guessed it, boring!

The MC in addition to having the brainpower of a pea possesses an annoying, bombastic personality, a thing I didn't know existed until reading this. What I mean by this is that he has negative likeability. He is an existence without value. I don't know how to describe him, I guess the best way to understand how useless he is would be to imagine the sum 1 + 0. Have you imagined it? If yes then well done, you've just created and experienced the protagonist in all his glory.

Overall Re:zero is as fun as the times tables, it lacks everything needed for a fun novel. I will give the author props if he was trying to commit to the name of the novel, Re:zero, because this thing really reads like it's a zero.

13. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    watch the anime. u get to hear the SSS-tier waifu voice actress Takahashi Rie