Novel Dragon Heart Ch. 6 (1/5)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Silver Snake, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Synopsis:
    A nigh all-powerful dragon is cursed by his would-be slayer, turning him into a human. The one condition required to return to his true form being finding value in humanity. Will the dragon change his ways, or will he find some other way to break the curse?

Genre: Action, Advenure, Fantasy

Tags: Antihero Protagonist, Nonhuman Protagonist

Table of Contents
    1. Chapter 1 pt 1, pt 2, pt 3, pt 4, pt 5
    2. Chapter 2 1/2, Chapter 2 2/2
    3. Chapter 3 1/3, 2/3, 3/3
    4. Chapter 4 1/3, 2/3, 3/3
    5. Chapter 5 1/2, 2/2
    6. Ch. 6 1/5
    Schedule is one part every four days until I have an extra chapter, then every other day.

If you want to support the production of this web novel or show your appreciation, then please consider rating or reviewing the series on either Royalroad or Scribblehub, and telling your friends about the story if you think they'll enjoy it.

And I'm planning on getting my own site and posting a chapter ahead on it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Cutting_bamboo, Agentt, Has and 6 others like this.
  2. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    A dragon’s snore is much like its roar; it was a low and rumbling affair, echoing and reverberating throughout the cavern.

Dragons were thought to be god-like beings, powerful enough to split continents in two or destroy entire mountainscapes. But they slept and ate like any other being, like you or I. Why, they even died, after a fashion.

And what were the chances that a man in full body armor, with a lance in hand, would be creeping ever closer to this giant beast’s slumbering form? Quite good, in fact.

I’m sure you’ve heard of it before, or something similar, in another story; the slumbering dragon and the mortal man destined to slay it, or failing that, best it in some other way.

But that’s not how the story will go today.

“You there! Dragon! Awaken!” The lancer poked at the dragon’s side with his lance.

Mildly aware of this sensation, the dragon stopped his snoring, and then hearing the shout that was still quieter than his snore, the dragon half lifted its lids, and turned its gargantuan neck in the direction of the sensation and sound.

Seeing as it was only one man, the dragon thought nothing more of it and rested its head back down, and fell back to sleep, and began its raucous snore once again.

Feeling that he was being belittled from the sight, the lancer brought back his lance and, instead of a gentle poke, thrust forward his mighty lance.

The dragon yelped and howled and turned its body away from the pain until it was on its back. Fully awake now, the dragon looked on at the lancer with eyes of burning menace. He shouted, his voice low and manner foreboding, “For what reason do you disturb my slumber, human?”

Mind you, the threatening effect was diminished from the beast being on its back; a universal symbol for submission in the animal kingdom, as I’m sure you’re aware.

Though the lancer seemed to not be deterred one bit. He matched his tone with the dragon’s, “You have terrorized these lands for long enough. I have come to stop you.”

The dragon, realizing his position, rolled to his left, away from the lancer, so that he was on all fours. He turned his body toward the lancer and said, “Ha! And how does a single human intend to fell I, a dragon, a god among all creatures!”

“I don’t intend to slay you, no, I have only come to speak.”

“Ha! For that you don your armor and blade?”

“No, for my protection, and for waking you up.”

The dragon pondered this for a moment and came to the conclusion the lancer was telling the truth.

“Hm, and what is it you intend to say?”

“Why! Why do you sow so much discord and destruction? Why do you lay fire where crops once grew? Why do you make all around know and fear you, mighty Fafnir?”

“Why? What matter is there in why? I do it because I can, because I relish the screams, because I love the fire.”

“Is that truly all? The only reason?”

Fafnir made no reply, only silence and a continued glare.

“I see, then you leave me no choice, I shall slay you.” Siegfried held his lance with both arms and drew them back, like an archer pulling the string of a bow, his body became taught.

Sensing the lancer’s resolution from the aura of his posture, the Fafnir too readied itself, and in that moment, Siegfried knew, he would die in this place to this dragon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    You should look not for the idea, because ideas are many, but for the approach you enjoy to continue doing something long term. Otherwise you will be like me with a stack of "cool" ideas but no implementation. I've changed my approach to something I enjoy and so far it is working for me. :sushi_peak:

mir and Silver Snake like this.
  4. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, I love you, I'm assuming, man.

Second, that's very confusing.

Third off, the hardest thing for me in writing isn't really the idea making or plotting, or actual writing, but the motivation to write. You know, existential dread and what not, and the meaninglessness of existence. So far, or in the past, I could only continue because I wanted to see the ending, or the culmination of everything that came before in a single transcendent moment. And I can only tell if that moment will come if the idea is good, and I can only tell what the idea is if I write it out. I'm not really looking for an idea, but for a feeling, like how a painting makes you feel the second you glance at it. It's something that I can only see through trial and error. Like for this idea, before I wrote it, I didn't think much of it. It was just one of the one's I've yet to write out. It's like the mood/theme of the piece. I don't really know what it is until I write it out. The literal idea is more like a guideline or rough sketch. It's hard to explain.

5. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I can roughly understand what you are talking about.
    First of all, if you are all about idea and mood, have you considered trying yourself in poetry? It might be the type of medium you need for a culmination or a single transcendent moment without the labors of having to write a many page story. If you are good at finding a fitting word or a metaphor or any other stylistical device to reach the mood or feeling you want, it might be it.

Secondly: Let me go in depths on what I meant by finding the approach.
    I try writing myself and I hardly have any finished or long story. The only long one I had I was telling myself to keep doing it even if my motivation got low, and I usually plan a lot so it helps me then just to follow the plan.

Most of the time I can get inspired by something and have that great idea and burning motivation about that idea, but when it comes to expanding the idea it feels tedious to me and as I hit roadblocks the motivation goes away and story doesn't go further than that.

Sometime I dream of a scene and also feel strong about it so I write it down.

Nonetheless, i don't have a very good discipline so I have a large stockpile of ideas or plans I made for a story which I never wrote down.

So why I speak of approach. I have tried approaching writing from different ways, writing without a plan, which can be fun but doesn't go far, try to imagine a character first and go from there (and I suck at that so far, mostly feels like uncharted territory), and I have found that I enjoy world building. So I took the idea I feel good about, made a rough outline, and began not from the story itself, but from the world. What kind of world is that? What people live there? Countries? Climate? Languages? Culture? Politics? History? etc. As I fill in those details it feels fun for me and I can see how the story will go better, the names of characters, their habits, their morals etc. And I feel that thhe facts I find interesting I can interweave in the story so it is more wholesome to me. At the same time it removes most of the creative roadblocks that I have and I hope it will allow me to concentrate on the story itself.
    So this is what I mean by approach. What part of creating you like to do the most? Take the idea and start from there. Any idea can be perfect if you polish it and shape it in the right direction :sushi_singing::sushi_tea::sushi_cool:

Edit: TLDR I found (hopefully) the way to write that I enjoy doing so I don't need to find super motivation or force myself to write.

Silver Snake likes this.
  6. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    I only need to write like 2 pages/600 words to see what the story is about, so it's really not that much trouble.

7. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    The knight, ashen and blood drenched laid against a rock. His breathing was heavy, sweat dripping from his hairline.

Fafnir towered over him, peering at the dying man from a distance, wondering what reason there was in challenging him, a being of obvious overwhelming force.

Looking straight ahead, the man said, “I’m sorry.”

The dragon inched closer, “For what?”

He replied with derision in his voice, “Not you.” And I thought I could win. What a fool I was. They’ll worry for me. What a bastard I am, throwing away my life for the sake of others, when my family, when they’ll suffer the most from my failure. What a bastard I am…

Siegfried turned to the dragon’s head, “You there, I’m dying right?”

Fafnir looked on at the man with his magic eyes, sensing the dissipating mana, “Yes, you are.” No pity or emotion was in his voice, only cold fact.

With a sigh of resignation, he said, “Good, then I curse you.”

“What?”

“From this moment forth, you will no longer be a dragon. You will walk the earth on two feet as I do.”

“Hahahaha, do you think yourself a wizard, boy?” scorned the dragon. But then Fafnir felt something deep within him - the disappearance, the destruction of his core, his very being. A light shone from him, originating from the tips of his claws and creeping toward the rest of his body. His eyes widened in shock. “What is this?!”

The knight laughed with mirthless glee, “No, I am not a wizard, but my hate is very real. You should not underestimate an existence’s animosity, though much of it is directed toward myself. I am dying, so I cannot repay it. So it’ll have to be you.” Siegfried then recalled, “There was always a condition in those stories - “

Fafnir, attempting to interrupt the incantation, breathed a torrent of flame at him. But just as it would reach him, a purple, ethereal ball of light surrounded the front of the man, warding off the fire. In this world of magic and monsters, the most powerful of spells were commanded by the simplest of heartfelt wishes.

Siegfried continued, “If you wish to regain your true form, you must find value in humanity.”

And with that, the man exhaled his last breath, and Fafnir’s transformation continued. The light crept ever onward, enveloping him, and just as it did, the light dispersed into particles. But below that light, there was no longer a dragon, no, only a naked man.

Fafnir’s mind was heavy, as if waterlogged, he could not think or process his surroundings or his being. Simply breathing was a difficulty, so he gasped repeatedly. Like a newborn baby, he had no control over his extremities, flopping around or not moving at all. It took him time to relax, and more time to process it, and even more to accept it.

This should not be. This should not be, was all that he could think.

He simply lay there, pondering his existence for a time, until his stomach growled. Now this was a sensation he was familiar with, he knew this meant he was hungry.

Slowly, he extended his arms and legs, and attempted to mimic the way in which he saw humans move on their hind legs. It was not easy. His arms and legs felt weak, or his body felt heavy, Fafnir could not decide which.

And once he stood, he realized something else, he was cold.

He turned his head toward the knight’s dead form.

8. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Knowing what had to be done, Fafnir stepped toward the body and examined it. It was dirty but intact, and the armor’s design was black with many layers and upward spiked flares, much like his original form.

Was it modeled after me?

His hands scanned around it, looking for some sort of release mechanism. Finding them, he unarmored the man, then unclothed him.

He tried putting the clothes on, and while they did fit, they were incredibly uncomfortable, still damp and crusty with blood. Hoping the dirt and grime would naturally fall off of him when he dived into a large enough water source, Fafnir resolved to do just that.

And so he made for the exit to the cave. Surrounding him was a forest, the time was noon, and the season mid spring. He knew the general lay of the land, having flown over it several times, but the specificities, the time it would take for him to get here to another place, these were things he was unaware of.

Fafnir headed for the direction he recalled there being a river, wading through the uneven terrain of the forest floor with its hillocks and fallen branches.

I need to clean and feed myself, but what after? The curse must be undone. The once dragon thought for a moment. Surely, one of my brothers or sisters must know of a magic to cure me. Yes, I recall the green and blue ones being fond of humanity and magic. In each major country lived four dragons, one for each major direction; north, east, south, and west. Fafnir was the black dragon of the west. If none of my country dragon know of a way, then I’ll travel to another, and if that doesn’t work, then I’ll find a wizard’s tower or witch’s hovel. Though Fafnir had heard of the inherent madness of humans who sought arcane knowledge, he didn’t care if that meant returning to his original form.

At least I didn’t get turned into a frog. Humans have much more agency. But a dragon to a human, it may as well be the same.

Hours passed as Fafnir thought of his future prospects while trudging through forestland.

And right as he was beginning to suspect that he took the wrong way, he sensed movement from the snap of twigs and something brushing against faraway ferns. And then there were the eyes, something was watching him, but it wasn’t the idle fascination of just any forest creature, no, these eyes were patient; predatory.

Outrage flared in Fafnir’s mind, you dare hunt me!? The one who stands atop all?! But then he recalled his current position. And he felt something very new: fear.

His fear and pride fought for moments that felt like minutes. Pride, being the more familiar, and thus safer of the emotions, eventually won out.

The once dragon spun his body so that he could see the thing seeing him. It was much smaller than he had imagined, a tusked boar that stood only half as tall as him. But Fafnir knew that, in this moment, if he underestimated his enemy, it would be a fatal mistake.

The boar was taken aback, backing away from the man, even if only an inch (a few centimeters). Most prey ran when they noticed him. But this one didn’t, it faced him. However, that didn’t change the fact that the boar was the king of this jungle. The boar had fought and hunted all its life here. For it to give up and run from some no name newcomer - it was a ridiculous idea.

The boar stamped its hindleg, revving himself up, and charged.

9. Shalalalala

Shalalalala [One of Red Siblings][⚓]

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting:blobpopcorn:
    Can't wait for pt 4

Silver Snake likes this.
  10. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too. Oh, and thank you.

Shalalalala likes this.
  11. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Fafnir’s head darted left and right, suddenly aware of how important his surroundings were. At his left was a mound, and to his right was more level ground.

He threw his body to the right, but the motion was too late, causing the boar to clip his lower left leg. The once dragon had only recently gotten used to the motion of bipedal movement; asking for quick 90 degree turn was far too much.

Because of the hit, Fafnir wasn’t nearly as far as he’d hoped to be by the end of his jump, allowing the boar to turn and lung at his foot.

All of this happened in the span of a few seconds, so there wasn’t enough time for the once dragon to raise himself and get his bearings to pull away or kick at the boar before being bitten.

Once the boar got its grip, it began shaking its head in an attempt to break apart Fafnir’s foot.

However, on Fafnir’s end, other than some rough shaking of the foot and the earlier momentary pain of the charge, he was completely fine. And so, it was with relative calm that he turned his upper body upward and began kicking at the boar’s face with his free leg.

This seemed to only enrage the boar, causing it to shake and bite down harder. Fafnir began to feel the armor compress, and panic finally struck him. He stamped harder, but to no avail.

His head darted left and right again, looking for something, and there it was, right beside him, Siegfried’s lance; he had forgotten.

He picked up the lance and lunged it downward. He missed. And so he did it again, and again he missed. The armor compressed more, causing Fafnir’s panic to increase with it.

Sweat drenched and gasping for air, he lunged downward once more, right in the boar’s eye.

It screamed and squealed in pain, trying to back away from the source of its suffering, but Fafnir would not allow it. He had not driven it deep enough to kill, only enough to wound, he knew that.

If I don’t take this chance, there may be no other.

He repositioned his arms so they were lower on the lance, and in the seconds of the boar’s recoil, he lunged forward again, using his entire upper body and his now free legs in the effort.

I’ll drive it through its entire body!

While it may not have done so, it was enough to go through the eye and then head, killing it.

In that motion, a fountain of blood had spurt onto Fafnir. Now the armor and clothes were once again dirtied by blood and sweat. Though Fafnir didn’t notice. His head was still high on adrenaline and lack of oxygen, his body still trying to circulate more with rapid breaths.

“I - I did it…” In that moment, he simply rested, allowing the peace and exultation of victory wash over him; a feeling he had never felt before.

And then he caught himself, “Of course I did it!” He stood up with spear in hand, stepping on the side of the boar rightfully, “This is how it should be! Me on top of the food chain, lord of all and any who dare challenge me!” But then he caught himself again, boasting so highly for killing a creature that he would have never even noticed in his prior life. Ah, how far I’ve fallen.

And with that, a strong wind whipped by, seeping in through the openings of the armor, and Fafnir again realized how cold he was; this time much more so with the wet of sweat surrounding him. And then his stomach growled in pain, realizing again how hungry he was. He had never been so hungry before, or for so long.

Head down in despair, he thought, Ah, how far I’ve fallen.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  12. Shalalalala

Reading List:
    Link
    Good good he's realizing it :blobokhand::blobpopcorn:

Naraina and Silver Snake like this.
  13. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    What is he realizing?

Shalalalala likes this.
  14. Shalalalala

Reading List:
    Link
    He realized that helpless he became after becoming human and slowly slowly he will realize that how he hurted humans

Silver Snake likes this.
  15. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, that would be nice.

Shalalalala likes this.
  16. Hasty girl

Hasty girl [Holy Novitiate] [Red Sibling] [Blackjack Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    And then he will feel
    Oh what have I done to humans . Why did I kill them in the past. And maybe repent and make friend with humans?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Silver Snake likes this.
  17. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    He is a dragon. In addition to being omnipotent, what do you expect from a godly creature? Before his eyes people are lowly people who have been underestimate his divine power for centuries. Do you think he understands humanity just like that?? He will have to go a long way for that girls.

Silver Snake and Shalalalala like this.
  18. Shalalalala

Reading List:
    Link
    Brother I thought the same first but isn't this oneshot. So i thought the story will continue fast

Silver Snake and Isaac20 like this.
  19. Naraina

Naraina Step Red Sibling ⭐ | † Trickster

Reading List:
    Link
    The kind of story you wrote is one of the reasons which makes fanatsy to be my #1 genre :blobsmilehappyeyes:
    This is interesting ..when is part 2 coming ?

Silver Snake likes this.
  20. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much. *dogeza*

I'll write it right now. Give me an hour.

Shalalalala and Naraina like this.