LCD Reverend Insanity/Daoist Gu

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Sky Farrow, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of those aren't even proper xianxia/xuanhuan or weak-to-strong in the first place. It seems as if you just hate this weak-to-strong genre as a whole and think that every slow-paced novel is good, lol. In the first place if you want something slow-paced without power progression and competition then you'd better read western novels, there are countless good stories like this. Out of your list probably only about 4 novels qualify. Then again, it is just your personal preference, if you check Chinese sites and popularity polls/ratings there you'll see what everything I said is a fact. Generic face-slapping novels translated not because westerners love them, but because they are the most popular in China.

2. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you guys seem to know a lot about the popular stuffs in China, is it possible that it's just a lot of the good stuffs are just not translated? For example, for wuxia stories, Jin Yong's stuffs only have messy or incomplete translations done by fans. And a lot of manhuas translated are absolute shit, even though there's definitely manhuas with good art and possibly good story too.

Wujigege and animefan4004 like this.
  3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true to a point, and those are good examples... but sometimes 1* reviews are also very misleading. Especially for evil MCs or MCs who do something contentous where people get offended and start flat out lying to make it seem worse.
    Also slow stories get similar treatment

If you overly believe the bad reviews you will miss on some gems.

Astaroth and Wujigege like this.
  4. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LordBS likes this.
  5. NewToThis

NewToThis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, this is not a successor, it´s just a story from the same author.
    And considering the Censorship, I highly doubt that the author would write another story like RI.
    Just look at: "Caring Protagonist" lol.

mrttao likes this.
  6. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right. So far I am pretty disappointed. This is so sad

7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    jin yong and the older wuxia novels were never translated into english for several reasons. the first is that wuxia as a genre was never popular outside of asia. the second is that all of jin yong books contain politics and it's one reason why they got so popular in the first place, since he writes about current issues and portray them in his own way, so some people might see them as political. the best example is 天龍八部 's main character Qiao Feng. if you have read or watched the shows, you'd know his end, his birth, and the choices he had to make which led to his ending...

next is that the readers outside of asia just do not understand chinese culture and linguistics. for example, you see many people bitching about the idiom '3000 li' here, saying that the earth isn't even that big or whatever when the phrase isn't supposed to be taken literally.

and then there are still many people who say that ancient china people are barbaric (lmao) when medieval times were much worse.

as for manhuas...they're the same as WN...tons of people are making them now so we get to read what the people translating want to translate...

anyway regarding WN, it seems like webnovel is slowly putting all of the top novels on qidian into the voting pool, so i guess every popular novel on qidian will eventually get translated...

8. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I wish! Need the author to finish Infinite bloodcore first...I hear it’s good, have you read it?

Hanten and Wujigege like this.
  9. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that the start is somewhat meh but gets a lot better later on, and the ending had a pretty big plot twist etc. Will have to read it myself though~

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I have. I saw one about an otherworldly farm they claim to be by this author but the translation group is usually Machine translated crap .
    They even recruit Machine translation staff so I passed
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-venerable-monster-tamer/

Hanten likes this.
  11. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yo i just read the latest chapter of reverend insanity, 100% worth the wait but why was his breakthrough to venerable so lowkey? No heavenly tribulation or something? Also since he became a rank 9 in refinement he should've felt the presence of that immortal gu that star constellation took? idk now i want to read more lol. might have to study up on the dao of mtl

12. pastlover

pastlover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're just gonna be disappointed because the ban is still in effect, and him becoming a venerable was the last arc that was completed. But if you really want to read, Book 6 was building a momentum that could answer all our questions regarding the Gu World and was shaping to be the best book overall.

LordKarsus and jad14661 like this.
  13. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
  14. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Fang Yuan tricked Giant Sun into using a technique that created Heavenly Tribulations in his aperture. People thought it was just the consequence of the attack but he in fact became a venerable through it.

jad14661 likes this.
  15. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    damn bruh i feel dumb, can't believe i didnt think of that, thanks for the explanation lol

16. Legowaffles

Legowaffles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, even if the ban is lifted in the future, I doubt the story will be as good as it was for a variety of reasons. Sad fact of the matter is I feel it's wrong for people to keep recommending this to others purely because of that. EDIT: Not to mention the likely possibility that this will never be completed.

Deleted member 193678 likes this.
  17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Author promised to finish the novel regardless of the ban after he finishes his new book. By the time the new book is done, RI will no longer belong to Qidian so he can post the rest of the chapters wherever he wants.

18. Spirit Needle

Spirit Needle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... there's many dropped novels in the novel community, well... at least on the sites I use. I think it's fine for new readers, as long they don't care. It'll take awhile for them to catch up anyway. Many recommend me novels that are dropped because they're good.

19. Legowaffles

Legowaffles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I understand. It's just, I absolutely hate reading stories that I love, only to then realize: it'll never be finished. Kaze no Stigma comes to mind for instance. Memory serves, the author died.

Honestly, I feel like when this is recommended, people tend not to mention that it's been banned in China. That basically means it's dead for good. A novel that's been dropped by translaters can be picked up. A novel that literally can't be continued because it's banned (or author died, or other reasons) can't.

EDIT: With regards to the author promising to continue, that's admittedly, a good thing. Props to him. However, I'm concerned about a drop in quality caused by the long break from Reverend Insanity. At least it's better than it never being finished.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if the novel is never finished it's still good and longer than many "completed" novels.

Besides, there's plenty of novels I'd rather not read the ending of cause I know they'll be shit, examples being Stellar Transformations, The Ultimate Evolution, Great Demon King, and probably other ones I forgot.

Also only reason I finished Coiling Dragon is because the end came so suddenly that I didn't even have time to drop it.

Anyway, sure it would be nice if Daoist Gu/Reverend Insanity is actually completed one day, but I'll take an incomplete RI over basically any other novel I've read (and countless more that I won't read).

Exalted, LordKarsus, Wujigege and 3 others like this.