What happened to Notes?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Pavilion, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened to notes in my lists? I was using those to mark chapters read since basically every story is fucked and wont display original translators chapters anymore. Now I can't edit them and they lag the fuck out?

Thankfully I have several backups for all the books I'm reading. Anyway is there a bug or is it new 'feature' or what?

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?

Nom de Plume and animanaicT like this.
  3. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/custom-made-demon-king/

Well look at this story for example, 0 chapters displayed so no way to click where my progress is.

e- so obviously I have to use other means to mark my progress, thus the notes tab which is now acting weird

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  4. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know what happened with the notes, but you can change your reading list to manual instead which would let you write in whatever chapter you're at

5. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn that seems way superior way compared to what I'm doing now, do I still get to keep the notes though? Too many of my notes have my progress marked into them can't lose them or its hours of work marking that stuff down

6. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is hosted only by webnovel site? If so it maybe that they changed their inner link for the pay walled chapters so the NU bot get error message? There is also the possibility that the NU board do not want to link pay walled chapters but it is speculation on my site.
    It better to ask an Moderator/Admin about it.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  7. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah probably qidian but I don't want to get sucked into this drama shit, I was merely pointing out reason for my transition into using notes for marking progress. Thanks though.

8. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    ...uh yeh, since there is a paywall in place, we don't link to the chapters.
    Pretty sure that notes is independent from the reading list so no, it shouldn't affect your notes.

Nom de Plume and thepope like this.
  9. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manual listing seemed pretty good but It turns out my current progress is lost and not applied to manual listing even If I keep the notes so this would turn to be hours of work anyway it seems. Anyway thanks for trying to help; I guess I'll just get drunk one weekend and make it a project to transform the list

Nom de Plume likes this.
  10. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Weird. It should display the free 39 chapters.

11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    You could make a new list for now that is manual and slowly move novels over to it as you read them or encounter issues. It’s likely that the groups for those novels have either broken links (website shut down or migrated) or a paywall (like this situation). I have quite a few novels like this so I understand your frustration and wish you luck!

I sometimes read RAWs and track that progress in notes separately from how far I’ve read in the translations. It’s a little different than your situation, but I’ll keep an eye out to see if something similar happens to my notes. I do have a few quick questions in that regard if you don’t mind.
    1. Is it the note icon or the note itself that is displaying incorrectly/missing?
    2. Does the problem persist if you look at the note on the actual novel page instead of the reading list?
    3. Does the problem persist on another browser?
    4. Are all notes affected or only some? Is there a pattern?
    5. Which browser are you using on which devices?
    6. Did you recently do something out of the ordinary for general browsing, such as clearing cache and cookies or updating the browser?

LaDyViL likes this.
  12. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It took me a while but I already transferred all my listings to manual, was considerably easier after I realized I could just duplicate page and keep cached 'non-manual' page open in one screen and start typing numbers on other. Still about 1-2 hours worth of work but I cleaned up my lists a little bit at the same time so I consider it time well spent!

My specific issue was on novel called "Earth's Best Gamer"( https://www.novelupdates.com/series/earths-best-gamer/ ) where I tried to add my progress into the notes section like I had done hundred of times before on other books. I tried it again now and it still isn't working for me, luckily its no longer relevant.

As you said might be some cache issue with just me, honestly no clue about it. Heres some of my specs and relevant info maybe it will end up helping you somehow:
    Windows 7 / Opera browser / PC
    Opening on novels page instead of reading list just gives "Loading notes... Please wait." which never seems to go away
    Other notes seem to be working fine as far as I can tell, I haven't tried that many since moving onto manual but tried couple just for sake of this message. I don't have any other browsers as I'm running pretty tight ship here so no data for you there. Also haven't done anything out of ordinary.

rialm and Nom de Plume like this.
  13. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony are notes saved in cookies? That is something I’ve been wondering a few months.

Back on topic: It looks like my notes issues may be unrelated to what pavilion experienced. However, he was able to recreate the issue reliably with a specific page which should help you.

I find myself recreating notes quite often. I noticed tonight that they might be disappearing for me when I look at the novel page on Chrome mobile. I usually stick to safari so it is possible this is not the only cause. I’ll update you again if I’m able to accurately replicate it, but I don’t hold much hope.

The reason I asked about cookies:
    Mobile Safari just hates something about NU themes. I haven’t been able to maintain the correct theme since the update that changed the setting to be stored as cookies. Specifically, the theme is back to default visually almost every time I open Safari for the first time that day. I say visually because the correct theme is still selected when I open the menu. This effect to be triggered if I accidentally open NU on a private safari page and/or if I completely shut down the browser.