Spoiler Kill the Villainess - Helena

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by BlueRoseJuliet, Apr 7, 2020.

?

Do you hate Helena?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. No opinion. I want to stay away from her

62 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. It is complicated

40 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. rocca.linne

rocca.linne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess we could agree to disagree on Helena innocence, I really think we should read the novel/manhwa fully to know the exact story and form our opinions.

From the spoiler and the manhwa I read so far, Helena, the prince, Jason, and Eris are childhood "friends", but they never included Eris in their conversations or camaraderie. So it's rather Helena, the prince, and Jason are childhood friends and original Eris were just outsider who just happened to be around them. From the conversation so far, only Helena thinks that the 4 of them are friends, while Jason and the prince were only tolerating Eris existence because of the Emperor's order, while Eris was only with them because she was being called to the palace by The Emperor to accompany the prince.

2. Mimi hot takes

Mimi hot takes Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being forced to be in a relationship is not abuse? What are you talking about. How in the world is using your status to keep someone or force someone into a relationship not abuse. It is still abuse just not the one you know about. Themes like these are common but so are a lot of weird themes
    I’m not sure if if you know this but
    Helena was forced into the relationship and it seems they have a really bad dynamic that will be addressed later on

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  3. Veille

Veille Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Thank you for your feedback. Plots like these are common in every stories. Usually the ML use his status to PURSUE the FL.

So it made me wonder why did she 'love' the prince if it was forced right? Because you can't really love the person if you don't really like the person who's pursuing you.

It's kinda complicated for me that's why I couldn't compare force with abuse because in the end she did love the prince back. You can't really love your abuser back y'know if it's abuse. ._. just saying.

I'm just frustrated at helena because she couldn't defend Eris but I do understand her situation. But actually she can help Eris because she is favoured and people trusts her.

I just feel sad for her right now knowing that the Prince will eventually take an interest with Eris. So what will happen to her? I just hope she doesn't have feelings for the prince when that happens.

4. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stockholm syndrome? And did she love him back? The prince fell in love with the MC according to the spoilers

Also is darth vader that mob looking dude guard knight? Cause if so thay would be a nice change of pace from ikemens

5. Veille

Veille Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the og novel, she did ._.

Now I'm just curious if she has feelings for the prince when the prince is interested with Eris. I'm just hoping she's doesn't have feelings for him.

Gothita, Svitlanak and theilikepie like this.
  6. sara123

sara123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Lmao, I lov
    Aghh! You're right she's really fckin annoying. My view of her changed after Eris got slapped by the crown prince.

I mean she could have stepped in between and tells that it wasn't Eris fault. Rather than saying "no it doesn't hurt at all" of course the peasized brain of the crown prince would jump into conclusion that the love of his life got hurt because of Eris.

But the real question is....

when/what chapter will Anakin show up?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2021
  7. LazuliBean

LazuliBean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t hate Helena and I’m not closing my heart to her because based on spoilers she’s not a bad person. I will admit I don’t like her actions especially in the chapter Eric’s got slapped. But the way the prince referred to Helena as basically an object rubbed me the wrong way. I also admit I really hate those Mary-sue shoujo heroines but based on the spoilers seems like she not the typical heroine turned evil. I just don’t like how she is so far.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  8. yukihibari

yukihibari A Silent Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't care whether helena is blameless and innocent or not. my point is, if she truly fears the cp, she should take some distance from eris (if she's really considered her as a friend). but she's not, she afraid that she couldn't be friends with anymore without realizing that her actions are only makes eris more miserable. yes, she's in a toxic relationship but helena herself is toxic too. imo, she's probably even worse than ariel (from when villainess loves).

9. Knightly Reader

Knightly Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes well to be fair she did try and tell him it was not Eris's fault and he did not beleave her and then the other maid steped in and enraged him... as much as we would all like to think we would stand up to a power hungry prince who could kill us, ra*e us, or make us disapear without anyone asking questions just because he slaped someone we wanted to be friends with I am sure the number of people who actualy would is very few. Another thing I noticed is that when Helena ran to Eris and fell she said that she did things like that because the prince liked it. That is a big diffrence from doing it out of ignorance. It reminds me of "The Villanes's pet" where she lets people treat her as a pet to vent there frustrations on so she will be able to suport herself in society and not get sold off by her family.

10. Knightly Reader

Knightly Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she disregarding everything around her BECAUSE of other people's opinions not dispite them. She acts the way she does becaus
    Errr hate to break it to you but that is the entier foundation of abusive relationships. One side ledveraging the love of the abused to get them to stay in the abusive relationship.

Yeh no from what I have seen the prince does not actually listen to her and she has repressed her true self inorder to keep him happy.

11. PrettyFujoshiLady

PrettyFujoshiLady Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I second this. A loooot of people takes the side of the person whose POV used in a story then critic everyone else. (If that's real life, it's like believing in groundless rumors). That is not good. You should always put yourself on every characters situation to understand the story. You are READING a story, not finding who to hate. In that way, you learn whatever lesson the author wants you learn or understand whatever they want to convey.

12. Risalore

Risalore Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like this
    1. Helena came from a fallen noble family. Her mother, being a countess, would probably taught her basic palace etiquette. As a palace maid, there certainly are rules to be followed because they partly represent the pride and dignity of the royal family.
    2. Helena knows the engagement between the prince and Eris. Informal talk would be alright with just the 4 of them, but having other palace maids and knights around while informally talking to the prince while his fiancee, Eris is around, would be a misunderstanding to the palace staff, seeing as how the prince treats Eris vs Helena. What should have been common sense as a palace maid, an ex-noble, a daughter of a countess, was not there. Sure you may say it's fine, but that's the outlook in our current society, not of the society ages ago where the caste system and social class was very distinct in every way.
    3. She's too dense.
    4. Past difficulties aside, what's difficult in saying "Eris didn't hit me"? It might felt like Helena was afraid of the prince since we all know that in the og novel, the prince was obsessive to the point of forcefully making Helena marry him, but she said she "really" , or if i can interpret it as she "sincerely" wants to be Eris's friend, what was sincere in doing nothing, when I'm sure that behind the scenes, other maids suck up to her because the prince treats her differently and then backstabs Eris, the person she wants to be friends with? Isn't that why there was such a maid who had assume Eris did something bad to Helena even when said maid probably doesn't know what actually happened and assumes that Eris push Helena because of jealousy of the prince's treatment?

These are just my thought tho. I don't hate her, but I sure will avoid having a no sense, non sense, no common sense, too dense and insensitive person as a friend. I more into a person who's like me that believes in "Communication is the Key", and Helena lacks that just from not telling the prince that "It is not Eris's fault".

Ignorance is not a crime, but it's also not an excuse when someone gets hurt, physically, emotionally and/or mentally.

13. PrincessBubblegum

PrincessBubblegum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I see the various points everyone is making about Helena's character and I respect it all. However, I do find some contradictions such as if she is powerless and do very little against against the prince due to survival, why is she trying to be friends with Eris. Doesn't that contrast with her motive for self-preservation. If she intended to avoid doing things to keep her alive, wouldn't one of them is to avoid ppl who the Prince dislikes (aka Eris) to maintain his trust. Moreover, with Eris's poison attempt towards her, wouldn't that make her not want to be friends with Eris but even regard her as an enemy instead (not in terms of going hostile but that they are clearly not going to be allies).
    However if we ignore her motive to survive and that she genuinely wants to be friends with Eris. Has she shown constant support for Eris to gain her trust? E.g. taking advantage of the MLS favour by easing the tension between them and Eris and avoiding any potential fights or standing up or help prevent the rumours that gave Eris a bad reputation. Idk if you are forced in situation where you are forced to appear as if you stole someone's man, moreover that someone is the person you want to be friends with. Shouldn't you take action to show you're being genuine because at this point saying that you want to be friends without doing much to help the situation just seem like you're being pretentious so since it would make you look good and the other person look bad, especially if it's 'i want us to be friends but you don't want to' approach. Again, I don't hate Helena, just questioning her character so I'd appreciate it if anyone can also provide spoilers regarding this lol. Read all the opinions now I want to see (lots of) the parts of the plot that backs it :aww:

14. LazuliBean

LazuliBean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that one of the points in this book is basically smash the tropes and cliches. A possessive prince who doesn’t let the shoujo like heroine have any freedom is taken for what it is, toxic. Villainess is some misunderstood girl who didn’t take it all stride but actually suffered mentally. A heroines overly kind nature can be detrimental to other people, while she herself is trying to survive her tragic backstory. MC came into the body of the villainess and for once isn’t gonna let love sway her decision to go home to where her real family is. It’s kinda like a more sad version of Miss not so sidekick, where that one used humor to smash the tropes this one is more realistic.

15. PrincessBubblegum

PrincessBubblegum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes exactly, my previous post just adding to the point (lol should have read the recent posts before sending mine hehe:blobpats:)

Zeref_96, karls and Astrology Freak like this.
  16. nurul amelia

nurul amelia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Relax, I have also read all the threads. But the name opinion can't all have to agree Maybe right now I, or other readers, still hate Helena, but I don't know what to expect, don't overdo it.

17. YuviellaHart

YuviellaHart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Helena gave me the naive but destructive heroine vibe lmao. The one who is wrapped in their own world and ideals who unconciously abuse their position as a favorite one to the point of being extremely ignorant and always ended up causing problem left and right. She's almost like Maryjun from I Swear I Won't Bother You Anymore. They're too blind to reality because of their own happy ideals where everyone is supposed to get along well lol.

18. Despaireon

Despaireon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    I cackled. I don't dislike Helena but she's finally useful for something ykyk. :whistle:

19. Ze Wu Jun

Ze Wu Jun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I never related with the innocent, cute FLs. The Villainesses (the real villains, not the ones who turn into the white dumb lotus themselves) these FLs are the one I like and want to read about. About Helena, she exactly looks like the Trashta in "remarried empress". I also see some similarities between the two stories.

EXACTLY. I completely agree with you.

Helerya, Lyniie and bristy_6 like this.
  20. Ze Wu Jun

Ze Wu Jun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EXACTLY.
    Insulting is childish, honey.
    If YOU really read the other comments, you'll see that thay mentioned Helena never said she was in fault and just watched when the prince slapped Eris. She was forced to chitchat and laugh with the prince and the other MLs? I wonder how do you think a person who is forced to be with someone would react. Helena constantly tried to be friend with Eris and she was acting informally with her and the other people. The prince forced her to it too?