Discussion About plagiarism and/or inspired novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Elementarteilchen, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Today I started to read the novel "Neechan wa Chuunibyou" and it reminded me immediately of "These Dangerous Girls Placed Me Into Jeopardy".

It was so similar, that I even thought the same author created a remake/spin off or simply a less "extreme" version of his novel for the younger audience.

Then I looked up when both novels were created and the name of the authors. Turns out, they aren't even closely related to each other.

These Dangerous Girls Placed Me Into Jeopardy was created 4 years later than the other novel and it is even from a chinese author, while Neechan wa Chunnibyou is from a japanese author.

The premise is, that the protagonist can see words above people. They show the true nature of a person. F.e. "serial killer", "zombie", "vampire", "reincarnated childhood friend", "angel", "3rd stag qi elementary cultivator" etc.
    Both protagonists come into a new class, which is full of abnormal people. They are people from all different kind of genres/cultures/mythologies.
    The world they live in is the modern japanese world and the (normal) people aren't aware of the existence of supernatural beings etc.
    You can imagine the shock, as both protagonists were made aware by their new "power" to see people's true nature in class and because they are shocked, they both catch the attention of a girl. This girl is a "serial killer" in one novel and a "corpse lover" in another. Both protagonists went to the toilet and they are followed by this girl. He was threatend by both girls etc. I think you get the gist of it.

Don't misunderstand. I really enjoyed TDGPMIJ and I like the beginning of NWC so far. The premise is amazing and I love the mix of different power systems/mythologies/cultures/fantasies whatever you call it, but it was strange not to read only the exact same premise, but also the same specific scenario in both novels and they both happend in chronological order at the same time period.
    I'm really conflicted about this, because TDGPMIJ seems like the superior/improved version of NWC, but it was clearly inspired (or should I call it plagiarised?) by the author. At least in the beginning.
    Did you have similar experiences? Would you support such an author and where exactly is the border between inspired and plagiarized novels?

2. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The more novels you read the more similarities you will find
    Here’s a good example Wuxia novels:
    The mc is a cripple and lost his fiancée to an arrogant young master (aym) then somehow finds a manual/sword/supreme inheritance/old man in a ring/special herb/ancient bloodline or some shit like that.
    (to be continued)

Wujigege and Elementarteilchen like this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this concept of being able to see one's true nature or whatever being copied would make that an inspired work, cause this premise is broad enough to go completely separate ways. But if too many similar events start happening and the stories go in similar directions...well, that might be plagiarism.

Then again, the inventors of the hovercraft were two completely different people from two completely different countries who had the exact same idea at the exact same time. Coincidences sometimes happen on the level of absolute miracles.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's clear-cut plagiarism when one lifts passages straight out of another work without crediting the original author. The line between plagiarism and inspiration however becomes murky when "borrowing" of ideas is involved.

Think "Romeo and Juliet" for example, and the uncountable tales it has inspired. How do they avoid being a mere copy of the original play? By placing it in a different context, by reimagining it, by re-interpreting it, one can make it acquire a new flavor. When one takes in an idea and make it one's own, one can no longer be truly accused of plagiarising.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan promotes fanfiction, a sort of plagiarism

So it is not even frowned upon.
    In other places even China, people get sued.
    Which is baffling since I see many fanfics but then again maybe only the popular plagiarists get sued.
    Especially for Ten Peach Blossom that got a TV adaptation

I think the links have been taken down but there was a Chinese software that lets you input novels and it generates a new story for you.
    Basically, automated plagiarism
    The author of Ten Miles Peach Blossom allegedly used it on a BL novel

https://supchina.com/2017/11/01/literary-award-plagiarists-chinas-latest-society-culture-news/

I find it hypocritical given on China plagiarized Air Jordan and other Western IPs

Elementarteilchen likes this.
  6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Fanfiction isn't really plagiarism if it doesn't claim to be an original work, even if it still might be a violation of copyright.
    Unless it also lifts whole passages of text from the original work and claim those to be original.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    asriu likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hee its kinda hard to prove it~ unless ya go through law enforcement style ya know~ meh its normal a story inspired or taking idea from here and there~ or just similar idea~

xianxia or xuanhuan~
    wuxia is rare stuff on NU

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Plagiarism isn't necessarily even a crime unless it also violate a copyright, a lot of times it is simply looked down upon.
    I don't think anyone is going to take someone to court over plagiarizing anything that is clearly in the public domain for example.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm consider it may involve money, such thing can happen~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.