Games Whose Requirements Surprised You

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Apr 6, 2021.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious about games that had system requirements that made you go like... "Wait, really?"

For me, it would be Fall Guys. I bought it to play with some friends, but the game was stupidly laggy, and it honestly baffled me how that cute fluffy game could run so horribly... Then I checked the system requirements and found out it needed a whooping 8GB of RAM (I have 4GB in my 7 years old laptop) to run properly... I honestly couldn't believe it. How bad can your optimization be to require 8GB of RAM for that kind of game? Seriously...

So... Just curious about everyone else, what were your experiences with games that had absurd spec requirements to the point you couldn't quite believe what you were seeing~?

*waits for comments from people with high-end PCs that never even look at system requirements for the games they wanna play*

2. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobwoah:

Dat_Karma likes this.
  3. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know the first thing about specs or requirements, but I do know I was always confused that Minecraft turned my computer into a potato.

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I had this reaction many times after getting a Mac and realizing that I couldn’t play most games anymore. :blobReach: I still chose not having my computer crash and need to be repaired every other month over playing games, but it still hurts when I see a game that looks amazing (or nostalgic, like “Chip’s Challenge,”) and then discover I can’t play it all. I tried for a couple of years to do the whole, partition-your-computer-and-put-Windows-on-the-partition thing, but it ran like c—, and I got sick of it.

Ophious, mir, Jeanette and 2 others like this.
  5. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    XD After FINALLY Upgrading my 10 year old comp, I can finally brag about being in this group, hahahahha!
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39302374

6. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    World of Tank...

Looking at the graphic, you wouldn't believe that it ran perfectly fine on my old pc with Intel Core 2 Duo + Ati Radeon HD4500..

I played that game on that pc since I was 13 til I was 18.. then I got my own laptop

mir and AliceShiki like this.
  7. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guh... I don't think I've had 4 GB of RAM in a machine since x64 came out.
    That being said I'll just leave this image here from a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooooh, it surprised you in the exact opposite way it surprised me~

Still nice nonetheless~
    8GB is still way too expensive over here. Cheapest 8GB laptop I could find costed 3x what I earn in a month... It's too much.

In any case, this reminds me of the system requirements of 20XX~

AMissingLinguist and mir like this.
  9. king cooly

king cooly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something that amazed and baffled me was that Deep rock galactic is only 2GB. The entire game not the RAM needed.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  10. Legowaffles

Legowaffles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to need a source for that there set of requirements bud. They aren't up to spec.

AMissingLinguist, mir and AliceShiki like this.
  11. Fluffinya

Fluffinya Flumya's dongsaeng | ARMY | mutated into a stag

Reading List:
    Link
    league ig, my vga gave out recently and i was played it expecting it to work at least decently without a vga but i got like 10 fps with the lowest settings. never really looked at the requirements for league but once i get my vga and i have to reinstall my games, i should definitely check what requirements it needs.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    RPGM MV stuff, games that run on MV kinda laggy compared to other RPGM type, not all MV laggy tho~

VN on RPGM, yeah there are Visual Novel style on RPGM games... this cat found it by accident... you know da usual stuff just pick choice then story flow~
    oh what is RPGM?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Maker

PlayStation 2 simulator, now this was long time ago kinda when da simulator still not final or something~ basically this cat laptop graphic card incompatible with da program so yeah fail~ after those twist and turn searching PS 2 bios and asked here and there.... fail... lul
    maybe oneday this cat will install PS 2 simulator again cuz this cat still have bunch of PS 2 games dvd ya know~

13. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/250420/8BitMMO/
    I figured that would have been fixed when steam cracked down on developers giving crappy system requirements... but apparently it's still there.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    PCSX2 works fine on most computers I believe, though poorly optimized games still run poorly...

I remember having to play Digimon World 4 at 30 FPS because my laptop couldn't handle it... That was annoying... But other PS2 games ran very smoothly.

I think it depends more on the game itself than on the emulator.
    I think they allow people to put joke requirements when their game can run on a toaster~

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    wdym? Pcxs2 runs pretty fine, it runs pretty well on integrated graphics too. But again if you are trying for something like downsampling from 16x res or something then yeah, might need graphics card.

16. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to the point where I was baffled by the rules of the game since I like watching short run-throughs of various plays but I was equally surprised and in love, plus even more so frustrated when I downloaded Genshin Impact both on my phone and laptop only to find out it is both incompatible with the game. Believe me when I say it got to the point where I was even jealous with other kids younger than me playing it in their devices, and even moreso when I was the only one who couldn't get on the game within my circle of close friends.

17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah like this cat said it was long time ago during initiation, this cat pull many so called easy games where it been tested hmm around 2006 to 2008? iirc pcsx2 still update list games that can't run, run with problem and few trick to play, how to switch jp, EU then NA bios blablabla~ last times this cat try it on 2010 given been decade most problem should be solved....
    this cat feel old~

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Games with similar requirement could still have different performance for some eldritch reason. Like, I could barely run Dishonored 2 but the DLC (which is basically an exact same game with same requirement but different campaign, idk why it's separate) is completely unplayable.

Still, the old potato is doing okay all things considered. Saving money to upgrade so I can run some of the better stuff from the past 5~ years >.>

Blitz, mir, AliceShiki and 1 other person like this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nay on early time just enter da window screen with no temper here and there may fail~ with current pc build or laptop it should be fine~ this cat try it on early phase where you still need find which bios can play which game

20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *remembers when games came on 4x 1.44 MB diskettes*
    You know, just 10 years ago, games never used the word GIGAbyte? lol.

mir, AliceShiki and asriu like this.