Discussion [B]How different Eastern WN MCs react to getting overpowered abilities[/B]

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ullysis, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ullysis

ullysis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese protagonists:
    Mr. "iM a nErmAl gOoD ciTicen pErsOn vurGin with a mUh purFeCt nErmaL Lyfe"
    that's a lowkey pervert flexer who sounds like a total hypocrite 80% of the time.
    Gives the You're bad, I'm good kind of vibe even when the WN sells them as "bad" or "anti-hero"

Chinese protagonists:
    Highkey flexer who will peel your skin off and murder your family if you bang one of their
    wives.
    Would definitely be considered a villain in a Japanese beta shit-story.
    Satisfying to read about because they almost always gets even or more.

Korean protagonists:
    Monetizes everything.
    More than likely to start out poor.
    Most realistic out of the 3 when it comes to moral compass. Neither the unreasonably heroic "muh good japonize citi-zen" nor an over-the-top aggressive genocidal maniac.

As for why I wrote all this, it was triggered by "I came back but the world is still a fantasy".
    Frustrating read, honestly. Not only is the chronology unnecessarily convoluted, but the MC is also sold as this mysterious, awesome guy when in reality
    the person himself is really just a depressed nobody who at one moment beats up a purse snatcher in a brutal way when there's a crowd watching him, and at another moment
    barely hurts a group of terrorists even though they've seen his face because "iM eh GuD peArson".
    I don't know. There's something about Japanese MCs that feels more repressed than "good".
    Even their ecchi stories. It seems like it's made to satisfy sexual fantasies while simultaneously helping the readers deny said sexual fantasies. Seems like ticking time bombs of sexual assaults tbh.
    Poor guys. Two A-bombs really did them dirty.

2. nointo

nointo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No mate. All this japanese moral gusto is so the rest of the world will forget Nanking.
    Imagine an anime version where Japanese soldiers walk in on Chinese girls in their underwear only to get beaten up by said girls.

3. Soulblade831

Soulblade831 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ngl CH protagonists be act'n badass

ullysis, evil lnfant and Little moon like this.
  4. Tinkerlin

Tinkerlin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    here we go again...

Ddraig likes this.
  5. evil lnfant

evil lnfant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese MCs have the weirded flexes, lol. They either try their best to be normal goody two shoes, except they actually don't or go full edgelord cringe crazy. There's no in between.

Soulblade831 and ullysis like this.
  6. Trov

Trov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That series is probably the worst example to make your point with. The first moment he just did it unconciously, because such actions would have been the norm in the world he was in before, but in Japan it's considered excessive and you are liable to be charged for it.. The second moment(If it's the moment I think it is, as in, the same arc) was after learning from that mistake and at the same time trying to hide how strong he really is while also protecting hostages and also making a point to some of those terrorists(because not all of them were really bad, just being used by other people.)

7. ullysis

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they're intellectually capable of conceptualizing non-animated interactions at any given situation. It's like they don't have any idea what socialization is at all.

My bad. I wasn't aware that terrorism, threatening people with firearms in a public area and beating women and children with a steel pole doesn't constitute as bad.
    Sarcasm aside, he's clearly in the autism spectrum if he can unconsciously continuously kick a person who's down and wailing in pain because of a broken arm in front of his family and a huge crowd but can't silence terrorists who can possibly trace trouble back to him, threatening his dad's life, his step mom's life and step brother's life because "tHey'Re nOt BaD tERRORistsss". That's all. I don't really have much to say to someone who thinks like a JP MC. It wouldn't go through anyway.

What's the difference between Japanese and Chinese WN authors?
    warcrimes...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    nointo likes this.
  8. nointo

nointo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Is it bad that I'm only still reading virgin jp webnovels so I can enjoy chad xianxia more?

Dianille and ullysis like this.
  9. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why all characters gotta be edgelords or saints with no in between

10. Trov

Trov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they didn't even know his name. The majority of them were just angry nobodies riled up by hired mercs simply trying to do a diversion. And he simply gives them a verbal beatdown until he no longer has to deal with hostages, makes them realize that they are just being used by the mercs in the group and has them lead outside while he wipes the floor with said mercs.
    I'm not trying to say you don't have a point, but just that the series example wasn't the best one.

11. nointo

nointo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because Japan always goes for 100% clear rate
    Jp betashits are always inconsistent in the worst way possible. It's like authors try their damnest to filter out decent readers so they can keep the mindless sheep who'd keep eating up their mindless moneymaking formula of catering to nolife neets

ullysis likes this.
  12. ullysis

Reading List:
    Link
    You see, "tracing trouble back to him" isn't exclusive to these nobodies personally finding him. It includes other orgs like the government or other terrorist groups. On one hand there's this mysterious guy who managed to singlehandedly stop a heavily armed insurgence, on the other hand there's this kid that's impossibly strong for a human being. And what made you think it's impossible to trace him without his name? They already know about his connection with this guy who's doing a part-time job at a cafe. Do you think that realistically, these "not so bad terrorists" will conveniently keep their mouths shut? No. They'll tell them everything about the event. This dumb MC not only endangered his friend's life, but also his family's life. Not to mention how he could've just went in there without showing his face from the very beginning, but of course he had to act cool for his friend and the lady. Cringe.
    I doubt that would happen though, seeing that the author probably wouldn't have taken any of that into consideration. And since characters can only be as smart, or in this case, as dumb as the author, I don't see the villains capitalizing on the MC's idiocy. I don't plan on finding out either, since I already dropped that cringefest of a novel.

Nah. I also only read JPWN as buffer in between reading real WNs. And yes, I don't consider those trash as real.

13. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of Japanese WN protagonists are like that, it's true. However, that's only from the standpoint of stories that are deemed "all-ages" on syosetsu and safe for children to consume. Even stories that are R-15 (basically, high schooler age) are frequently exiled to nocturne. I don't know the exact standards, but you're basically reading kids books and expecting the protagonists to act like normal adults. Every now and then you'll come across a good one, though.

If you look at stories from the nocturne site, there are a lot more interesting protagonists. People who were hoping for power and use it to do whatever they want / achieve their goals, people who were normal and gain power and get corrupted by it, people who use it for revenge without caring about what happens after, etc. There are still some protagonists like the ones you mentioned, but most of the time the hypocrisy is intentional. Because there are lots of hypocritical people out there. It's not weird for a protagonist to be a hypocrite. Also, the virgin part is not mandatory on nocturne and only rarely lasts beyond the first arc in a story.

An example of a story with a normal protagonist (banished to nocturne from syosetsu main site) is "Adventure Tripper Fuu" (冒険とりっぱー「フー」R). Fuu is basically a normal person, somewhat on the adaptable side. Goes to another world, gains a cheat, uses it to make a living, gets screwed over by corrupt government, at first acts like a small citizen but ends up growing as a person to match his power and becomes wildly succcessful with a happy ending... Though instead of a serial work, it's a series of short stories with the same main character, setting, and cheat, but some event at the start is different so he takes a different path each time.