Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @aka13 most of the fanfics i like are actually very drama heavy/dark/'horror horror horror pls tnx', but i thought theyre pretty good, so take ur pick

Fanfiction.Net

Derivations from Entirety Bioshock Universe Crossover (time n space shenanigans, bcoz gods)
    Measure Each Step to Infinity Avatar: The Last Airbender (has sidestories, just check author)
    Lumen Bloodborne
    On a Short Leash Kim Possible (super long series, just check author)
    At Dawn Naruto
    Dual Fighters Ranma
    Glamour Life Sailor Moon
    Violently Happy Teen Titans (prolly dark? cant remember)
    All Who Dwell Within Your Gates Dungeons and Dragons (kinda funny)
    Love Not Often Final Fantasy VII
    Frozen Final Fantasy VIII (super, duper, loooooooooong, but I felt like the read was worth it)
    Beautiful Mind Left 4 Dead (the witch is super cute me thinks)
    Strange Bedfellows Portal (has a sequel i think)
    VFW Lost Girl (OP shit)
    - (literally - is the title) Rizzoli & Isles (drama heavy)
    99 Problems Skins (tw: deals wit hmental illness n drugs)
    I, Terminator Terminator (TV Show) (has sequel)
    Secrets We Keep Addams Family (dark)
    Mad Love Batman (has sequel that's super long)
    Bylines and Bracelets Wonder Woman/Superman Crossover
    Turn Time Harry Potter (has sequel)
    Of Lavender and Laundry Detergents High School Musical
    A Princess' Tale The Mummy (oneshot, but idk, it gud and 13k werds)
    Luminescence Twilight
    Underneath It All X-Men
    The Silence of a Kiss Glee (oneshot, for reel)
    Red Crown Star Wars

Archive Of Our Own
    Resident Evil: Convoy Resident Evil
    Tear You Apart Detective Conan (ABO, oneshot 22k werds)
    Cornflowers Avengers (oneshot, but idk, i like it so its here, if u like, read the kat fanfic too)
    Love Worth Waiting For Frozen/Mulan Crossover (best disney soulmate au evar)
    Mindfull Little Witch Academia
    Wolves of the North Shingeki No Kyojin
    Fish Out Of Water Person of Interest (there be mermaid)
    Nero American Horror Story (conjuring AU)
    Living Dead Girl Buffy the Vampire Slayer (oneshot, but 24k werds)
    Animals and Prizes Victorious (ABO)
    Lifeblood Hunger Games (drama heavy, coz its hunger games, why wouldnt it be?)
    Seam by Seam Homestuck
    It’s Thinking Of Love (It’s Thinking of Stabbing Us to Death) Sharp Objects (tw: dark, incest)
    Love Hurts Motherland: Fort Salem
    It's Even Worse Than It Looks Life Is Strange (BDSM-ish)
    My Sister's Alpha Citrus (ABO, i dont actually like the ending of this one, but it's citrus + abo, why wouldnt u read it?)
    Tonight I’ll Call Ya (After My Blood Turns to Alcohol) Legacies (hot smut)

i dont really know any original novels, im pretty new to novels in general tbh,
    i just live through fanfics, like american horror story coven has fanfics
    but if ur looking for satanic worship stuff, closest one ive read is Princess of the Blacks (189k wc) but it's supercalifragilisticexpialidociously dark hp fanfic, it has 4 parts, 2nd: Black Princess Ascendant (300k wc), Coronation of the Black Queen (170k wc), The Black Queen's War (190k wc),
    tw: gore, torture, very toxic relationship, pedophilia, moralswhatmorals? verysuperdarkalltriggerwarnings, ugotwarned, and it doesnt start off as yuri (het start), nor is the yuri relationship all that great,
    they broke up, but it was DEFINITELY for the best
    up to you if you wanna read it

2. blazingseraph

blazingseraph Professional GL Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh god, I remember reading this. I read through the entire first book, then halfway through the second before I had to stop cause goddamn did it get fucked up to a point that I could not stomach reading it. The only reason I even stuck to reading it for so long is cause I have this quirk where as long as the actual language is well-written, I can read anything whether it's fucked up or not. I can generally stomach a lot as long as it doesn't violate my bottom line for fictional works. Like I read through all of Crimson Rose and that whole RWBY fic was beyond fucked up.

3. countblackula

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, i didnt mind all that dark stuff, what i minded more was that the yuri relationship wasnt good,
    that and how the author said on the first book that there was yuri, but there wasn't until the second book
    i also didnt expect the het AT ALL on that first book, like wtf r u lying to me for author?

i haven't read Crimson Rose from RWBY, so i'll be looking that up thanks :3

i used to be able to read anything even when it wasn't well written, coz it was so hard to find decent stuff with ffn,
    not so much anymore now that AO3 can basically filter what im in teh mood for

4. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh it's easier to just search by popular pairings for GL fanfics (i.e. supercorp, catradora, korrasami, etc). That's ONLY if you're strictly looking for romance though. The unfortunate thing about GL fanfics is how most of them are focused specifically on romance and not a lot of action/plot.

That's a big reason why I've mostly stopped reading fanfics now that I have baihe novels I can read. With baihe novels, at least there's a sizeable number of them that have a bigger focus on a plotline, which makes sense since they're original stories and need to have their own plot.

5. Riptide01

Riptide01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This popped up in my recommendations, was pleasantly surprised:

Roughly translated title: 【San Wu x Zu Ya Na Xi】Female Fuma丨She and her in front of the ornamented candles (The "Treacherous Waters" X Huangmei Opera story you've never heard of)
    (Note: Treacherous Waters is a famous martial arts drama that focuses on loyalty and justice)

Dialogue in the beginning (roughly translated):
    Princess: "Fuma, was the scenery beautiful along the way here?"
    Fuma: "The rivers and mountains were indeed beautiful, a natural beauty that lies in this world.
    Princess: "Then, Fuma....how beautiful is the princess inside the bridal chamber?"
    Fuma: "Ah? This....this...."

So for context:
    This is a collab cover of a song from a Huangmei Opera play that's called "Emperor's Female Son-in-law" but it's more accurate to translate it to "Female Fuma". This is how the story goes: MC crossdresses as a man to enter the imperial exams and somehow, she ends up getting first place. The emperor is so impressed that he decides to marry MC to his daughter, the royal princess. On the wedding night, MC reveals her true identity to FL. Now, here's the catch to this story, you could say this is like the ancient Chinese form of Yuri bait, because the MC actually does all this for.....her imprisoned fiance....a man whose name I've long forgotten. It ends with a BG ending, with the MC reunited with her fiance and the FL ends up with some other noble dude. Leaves quite a bitter taste in my mouth. There are also two TV shows about this story as well, the newer one was made in 2001 and called "New Female Fuma" (wow what a creative title) and has a lot more GL moments, but only tiny crumbs so I don't recommend you watch it.

Now, this cover/animation basically rejects this BG ending and pulls a reverse card by going for the GL route. When they say it's the "The 'Treacherous Waters' X Huangmei Opera story you've never heard of", I believe they mean that in their version this is like a revenge story where MC enters court to seek justice and the princess and MC are the true CP. Cute art and beautiful vocals, take a look if you have the time.

6. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay so I've been bothered by just how small the amount of translations there are for baihe novels and I was thinking about whether I should just start doing translations myself. The problem is, all I can do is use MTL and then just clean that up based on what I assume it's trying to say and it won't be proper translations. Should I still do that or not cause on one hand, a lot of the baihe novels I've MTLed to read are fairly legible even with just google translations, while on the other hand, they might not be very good translations since I don't know Chinese like, at all. In addition, I'll probs be able to translate chapters pretty fast since I have a lot of free time.

Moonpearl likes this.
  7. countblackula

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL is so hard to TL, at least from my exp, so i commend u if ur gonna do it,
    cleaning up a chapter doesnt mean that the translation is true, so yeah its not gonna be super accurate
    learned that the hard way when i did it
    for some things like expressions or noble titles or poetry, its such a nose bleed to understand it all
    but u can research these things, so good luck

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  8. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone remember a wn adapted to manga about a girl isekai ed as little girl and become genius? I think she's a baby or loli something

Come here, you can help if you want (so busy for midterms haha). Pm and I'll tell you how to edit mtl properly if you don't understand Chinese /eh?
    Xianxia and ancient china is a hard stuff to tl tho. Especially the one with so many idioms.

Moonpearl and blazingseraph like this.
  9. countblackula

Reading List:
    Link
    ascendance of a bookworm?
    lady baby? didnt like that story tho, the girl got too smart too early
    i think theres also one about a girl whos a genius for magic reborn as a baby princess but i cant get the title bcoz mangadex is down

10. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I think I know how to do it though and I already sent in a new series + added a chapter and I'm just waiting for it to be approved. I made a wordpress site for stuff I'll be doing from now on so you can check it out and let me know if it looks good or not (if you want).

https://baihemtltranslations.wordpress.com/

^ It's super bare bones, but I don't think I need to make it super pretty for my purposes.

Moonpearl likes this.
  11. Riptide01

Riptide01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Use this dictionary for most idioms: https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary
    Here is a Chinese internet slang glossary guide: https://hahachn.wordpress.com/internet-slang-glossary/
    Also if you don't understand a term (slang/xianxia/wuxia stuff), then simply type the characters in google search and then add a "英文" at the end and you will find lots of Chinese sites where people post English translations of that term. If all else fails, make sure to use the translator's corner in forums for help, most of the time you can get feedback in 10-30 minutes, sometimes less.

Lyzzz, Moonpearl and blazingseraph like this.
  12. countblackula

Reading List:
    Link
    the blog looks great!
    translate a lotta novels pls tnx :>

blazingseraph likes this.
  13. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use baidu since its basically chinese version of wikipedia /haha

No, not ascendance. Mc has silver hair.

Also the magic in mc world is actually like codes which mc last time is genius code maker.

Not lady baby

The mc name something difficult starting with S lol

Nevermind, I found it, prodigy sefiria op program haha.

That last one is I think magical revolution or something the princess one

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  14. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm stupid so I ended up just picking up four novels at once to translate. Here's the links to all of them and I'll add the links to the NU pages after those get approved. I have 3 chapters for each of these edited, but only the first chapter is officially published. The other 2 will be released every other day and that's gonna be my schedule for releasing chapters. The homepage for the novels will have the next two chapters done and linked, but I won't be "officially" releasing them until the scheduled dates.

Golden Crow and Vicious Female will be updated together, Golden Crow at 10 AM EST and Vicious Female at 6 PM EST. The same deal goes for Full-Level Boss and Beautiful Alone with Boss at 10 AM EST and Alone at 6 PM EST, just with alternating days for the pairs.

Direct Links:
    Golden Crow's Self-Cultivation
    After the Full-Level Boss is Reborn
    Host, Please Don't Match Up with the Vicious Female
    I Want to be Alone, Beautifully

NU Links:
    Golden Crow's Self-Cultivation
    After the Full-Level Boss is Reborn
    Host, Please Don't Match Up with the Vicious Female
    I Want to be Alone, Beautifully

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Moonpearl and countblackula like this.
  15. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading a whole 100 chapter of
    快穿之女配要逆袭gl
    QT villainess wants to counterattack
    Mc is selected to bind by system and meet fl. Both doing mission in all worlds.
    Pretty short each world around 10 ch except xianxia one (25)

Also finished
    重生后我和死对头好上了
    After rebirth, me and my enemy are getting better
    Mc was calculated and died, went back before she announced the engagement. She cancelled and fired her fiancee, and has better relationship with fl who is her self proclaimed rival.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  16. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Moonpearl and Sutad Aatma like this.
  17. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    @countblackula
    Here's the... Angsty recs

永不投降的反派女配[快穿]
    The villainess never surrender
    This is for those who loved be, almost all worlds be, mc hated fl because of misunserdtanding and prejudiced, fl is very patient. Mc is really a scum, at the end she made a bet with fl that she lost, but she didn't admit it that she lost, so she dissolved the marriage with fl (mc fl bet if mc think of fl they still get married). Anyway mc later cared for fl after the divorce lol. And then they are together again, mc tsundere.
    Not for the faint in heart, nearly all world be, mc super scum, since mc always refused fl and tried to kill fl (for real). It turned out mc's hostility to fl is due to someone manipulating mc's illusion, so mc think she rebirth and hated fl (different from the illusion previous body).
    Originally I was worried ending be but itits barely he lol

This is another misunderstanding: the series
    乘虚而入[娱乐圈]
    Taking advantage of emptiness
    Fl is super low eq, and she realized she lived mc after their divorce. I read up to ch 71.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    countblackula likes this.
  18. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww: Such a pretty video~! Thank you for sharing.

Riptide01 likes this.
  19. XiaoWenTian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'll check out the gourmet tag
    #xwtrec

和狐狸精一起直播種田
    Live Farming with the Fox
    Live broadcast + farming
    Mc fed up with work and farm at country side and meet fl the fox~
    Read up to ch 27
    Apparently mc past life is taoist and fl partner.

Done reading
    女配拯救計劃[快穿]
    Female supporting character rescue plan
    Open ending, life or death fl is unknown
    Mc is forced a world to collapscollapse after 3 world. Fl is forced to go through 6 world, so mc killed people who caused fl to get hurt.

我穿過的世界女主人設都崩了
    The heroine I have met in all the worlds have collapsed
    For some reason its tagged bl at shubaow but its actually gl.
    Mc and fl found out they're actually bionics in post apocalypse world

美人说她暗恋我
    The beauty said she has a crush on me
    Mc is fat, tall, and strong girl, fl is a shool flower. Fl fall for mc before she becomes thinner later.
    This... More like so many real world issues. Also some supporting characters death.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  20. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely forgot to include this in my earlier reviews of stuff I read, but there's this really good novel called On the Best Way to Punish the Unfaithful Ex. It's basically a story where the MC found out that her boyfriend broke up with her cause he was looking at another girl so she decided that the best way to punish him was to seduce and fuck his mom. That quickly turned into "wait a minute I actually really like her, uh oh." So yeah it's a story of a mid-20s woman who is full of life and passion chasing after a MILF who has been withdrawn and scarred from her life and both of them growing as people in the process. There's of course drama with homophobic parents and stuff like that, but it all ends happily and honestly one of my favorite novels so far. 11/10, amazing work. It also had some really romantic moments that made my heart beat faster so give it a try if you can.