This is Pissing Me Off

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    South Korea has an issue with "Ghost Doctors": the person on the slip is not usually the one performing surgeries. It could be a nurse, dentist, or even a medical sales representative. I am not making this up.
    But something is very clearly missing in this story: mental health.
    If your son has body image issues and wants to seek surgery, you take him to a mental health professional.
    Mental health is treated with a stigma in most places and we end up with many preventable deaths.
    I have had to deal with the opposite: my appendicitis was treated as depression. This is dumb but at least mental health was considered in the US. South Korea seems to pretend people do not have such issues.
    When you are at the top in the OECD for suicide and need to put phones and nice messages on bridges to prevent suicides then every politician should have mental health as their major campaign promise.
    But no, it's the economy.
    Human stupidity at its finest.

If the young man's mental health had been addressed, he and others won't need to have had needless plastic surgeries in the first place. Thereby saving their lives.
    Source: CNN
    Nothing to be ashamed of when you seek help. It is a sign of bravery.
    It is cowards that hide away from their problems

@otaku31
    @userunfriendly @Effugium @elengee

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... I won’t say mental health isn’t important but just looking at things logically economy is guaranteed to affect everyone while mental health is a subset of the population, so you will probably get more votes by focusing on the economy.

I don’t see why they can’t do both though. Is mental health a very budget heavy service? I don’t know much about it so I can’t say too much.

SwordEmpress likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not budget heavy.
    The issue is stigma and being seen as a sign of weakness.

A North Korean woman and her child fled to South Korea only to starve to death at home.
    The obsession with face is not only in novels.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/21/asia/north-korean-defector-funeral-intl-hnk/index.html

People are harassed when their weaknesses are grabbed onto to the point of suicide.
    Victims get attacked
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50535937

SwordEmpress, shadeonline and Hamski like this.
  4. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Mental health issues are relatively new and lesser known. Previously the only known mental disease was madness. I remember as a child, thinking that only people with a few screws loose going to mental hospitals and psychiatrists. At least that was the image presented here in popular media. PTSD, depression, anxiety etc didn't require treatment, you just grit your teeth and lived through it. Or die trying.
    Although times are changing, the stigma associated with visiting a psychiatrist still remains. In the end, if at least the family members or close friends support the patient, then the problem can be alleviated. Despite being a loner, I understand very well, that some things require help.

FIEND, nyamachi and Wujigege like this.
  5. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    This is indeed a backwards view to determine any mental health consultation as a sign of weakness or to even admit one suffers from it. Sadly South Korea isn't the only country that has this issue

6. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, it's those boomers who are writing the law. They are mostly out of touch with problems regular civilians face.

FIEND and Wujigege like this.
  7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    the cosmetic surgery ain't the issue of mental health.
    it's the issue of beauty standards set by the economy. in korea they are taught to think that beautiful is what they see on the TV. and that to get a decent job, degree is second only to the looks.
    and kids are often rewarded after graduating highschool with a plastic surgery.

mental health? more like manipulation

FIEND likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to break it to you but it is about mental health.

If he was mentally healthy, he would have not had the surgery and followed his fellow Koreans doing this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-20/south-korean-women-escape-the-corset/11611180?nw=0

9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, I knew about the ghost doctors. Particularly for plastic surgery because one ex-nurse in a plastic surgery clinic made a youtube video about it lol. People would come for an appointment with this famous surgeon to make sure they don't get botched. They'd pay the money for a first-class surgeon. But because his schedule is backed for years, he just waits till the patient is under anesthesia then goes out and a ghost doctor comes in to do the job. It's a scam.

SwordEmpress and Wujigege like this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It's horrible. But they get a slap on the wrist as people die.

Hopefully, this sticks :

But given how CNN did not even mention that, I am not hopeful.

Conformity causes many issues in Asia.

This is shocking. She seems broken to me:
    https://www.npr.org/2016/07/31/487926532/for-women-in-korean-pop-making-it-can-mean-a-makeover

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  11. SwordEmpress

SwordEmpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds shocking but their is a lot of controversy involved here with this woman especially...

The term with plastic surgery is that their are 3 parties.
    1. Love yourself how ever you are(to most people, sounds hateful but a natural thing but is changing, as humanity progresses)
    2. It's normal and okay to not fully like yourself, so some small surgeries, nothing major are still okay and mostly natural. (Lot of people follow this idea right now)
    3. Lastly, If you think it's right, than it is right. If it's hurting you, how you are, then change, if you are happy, satisfied and confident than that's all it matters. (Sounds pretty justified but, should it really be happening!??!!)(A rising number of people, I believe especially in Asia with their twisted sense of beauty are manipulating this idea.)

This whole thing about change and beauty does have a lot to do with mental health. Of course if you still are doing stuff like this after getting help from a Physcologist then you are fine or you are... I don't know... Beyond help.... Or it's just you.

Mental health has a lot of Controversial points in the East. Almost 90% in my opinion, follow their traditional beliefs, ideals, principals, and so on. Things like do what your parents say, because they are right and they are doing this because they love you. Being pressured to go through extreme schedule, school, studies, follow what they plan for your future.
    Then comes the new flavors in the mix, following the crowd. Old and New ideas, society mixing up, there are a lot of changes. All these worries about looks, jobs, income, assets, family, skills, gender, sexuality, etc.

One thing a lot of people agree with is, depending on themselves in the midst of all this life shits. Maybe some have bosom friends they can share this with rarely though. But most people never talk or have the principal of not sharing intimate things. All this grows on you. At points reaching out for mental health cases stops at Reach out.

I Bet you all my money if any of my relatives or family members happen to let's say, witness a murder, or something horrible akin to it. They will at most share this event with friends, or share their feelings with their spouse or someone close, suffering through Truma of this event but will never ever Reach-Out.

Because in the East "MENTAL HEALTH" account to you are "Mad" need to be sent to an Ayslum, a mental hospital or something, it's something no good. No one is willing to get help or even admit to it. Their is no encouragement or talks about it so no one goes to the Physcologist and continues with their twisted ideas and many concepts about Plastic Surgery is just one of it.
    Even the term coined "Plastic" in the Plastic Surgery mocks it.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    There is zero need for plastic surgery.
    It is one thing to have a deformity like cleft lip or get into an accident and then have surgery than to do it for purely aesthetic purposes.

When you go down the rabbit hole, it is hard to come back.
    Humans are prone to addiction, to think people will always stop at one is naive.
    Humans are fundamentally weak. You don't say heroine or cocaine can be taken just once. It is needless.
    Therapy is very effective and not some new branch of medicine as you seem to think

Source:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. SwordEmpress

SwordEmpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    T-that video I can't unsee it aaagggggggghhhhhh
    Oh my mother someone kill me. Even though I skipped and saw only one or two case that is too horrific. I think I need to calm down and wash my eyes with holy water.

Also I never said that Therapy is something new, I only meant that it's something that is more closeted, and socially not a very acceptable thing. People look at you weirdly and most people don't believe in Trauma or needing help because they are mostly fine and time will help them solve problems.

As for the cosmetic surgeries they are definitely helpful for deformities but go way overboard when it comes to improving their beauty. Of course it's fine for small things. I would definitely never get one unless I get some kind of scary scar or something sever. For those who get super crazy about it definitely need help. Get their ideologies firmed up, got to a Therapist, etc.
    For people like that "perfect" butt lady: You wanna be beautiful, beautiful and even more beautiful, why don't you just go become an angel, you might just become the supreme angle with perfect b**ty!!!!

*goes back to the corner to throw-up some more* Gosh I have mild cases of tripophobia, but seeing weird shit inside people or bazzare holes and stuff is just scary. Damn where is my Holy water, I need to wash myself heat to toe and get a selective amnesia.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I will delete the video from my post. You should do or at least put it under spoiler. I can't look at it either.
    The whole obsession with freedoms is what is causing all these problems.
    People who are not mentally competent should not be allowed to make such decisions.
    A psych evaluation should be required before every plastic surgery or when someone decides to castrate themselves with sex change surgeries. I do have a link to a documentary with a sex change surgery and it is gruesome.
    The dude who did the sex change has to use a dildo after surgery to prevent the artificial hole from naturally closing up because the body sees it as an injury

15. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    mental health isn't really considered here in america too. while we have improved over the years, we have also taken steps back too. From Drug addiction, gender dysphoria, other things incorrectly classified as gender dysphoria, a trend of prescribing adhd medication to every child that is just a bit more active.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, everything is gender dysphoria

I got prescribed anti depressant for my appendicitis

But it's better than countries that pretend mental illness doesn't exist

lygarx likes this.
  17. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything used to be ADHD/ ADD. I could have easily gotten Adderall. Now I am a MtM trans. getting testosterone to go from male to alpha male. all joking aside. dont do drugs.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmfao tf u on about. The mental health issues are preceded by a toxic culture and beauty standards.
    Even if he was "mentally healthy" there are so many more reasons he could have chosen to go through with plastic surgery, especially when it is in relation to societal expectations, norms and culture
    Correlation not causation

Agreed
    Even to this day many psych issues are written off or so stigmatized that people are afraid to recieve help in the east