Discussion Favorite Greek Myth and God

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by opath422, Apr 13, 2021.

1. opath422

opath422 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A little while back I had a HUGE greek mythology faze... i was just reminiscing on it. Anyways what's your favorite greek myth and/or God. You can give details about it if you want, but you don't have to~

It's so hard for me to choose a favorite god though... there's athena, artemis, demeter, they're all so cool. If i had to choose a favorite male god it might be Hades. He's the only one who really respected his queen. (we're overlooking the stalking and kidnapping right now TT) He's also really rich....

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Hermes is pretty cool, he's probably still the most present of the Greek gods in modern global culture.

opath422 likes this.
  3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Achilles, Hercules, Perseus, Hades and many more medusas story is kind of makes me feel bad for her since she didn't choose to be beautiful and zeus wife is a crazy jealous hoe.

imK, opath422 and Reack like this.
  4. Vi2

Vi2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Selene and Endymion, or Cupid and Psyche

opath422 likes this.
  5. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Prometheus, because of his self sacrifice to bring the fire of civilisation and progress.
    He was forward thinking, so I think he pretty much knew what he was going into but

opath422, Kledor and Reack like this.
  6. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's myths, my boy Protesilaus. Prophecy said that the first off the ships in the Trojan War would be the first to die. He killed 4 men anyways before being killed by Hector. One of, if not the only person in Greek mythology to completely flip a prophecy. Favorite god? Janus, so underappreciated but so intresting. Duality, crossroads, choices and so much more.

opath422 likes this.
  7. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    you have to realize the myth changes over time. Some say Hades/Pluton got permission from Zeus lol. Some say he didn't. In the course of getting permission from Zeus, they both set up the scene lol.

Anyhow Pluton is my favorite Greek god. I say Pluton as a sign of respect for Hades. But I think my most favorite figure is Chiron, the ultimate foster dad/teacher. Zagreus is also a thing (Especially so on if you played the game, that games mythology is kind of an interlace though). Though we all know the best Goddess in the Greek Mythology is Hestia. Also the line goes by Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Hades/Pluton, Poseidon, and Zeus.

opath422 likes this.
  8. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve always felt bad for Cassandra: didn’t let herself get raped by Apollo so he cursed her to seem crazy to everyone, then she ends up getting raped by Agamemnon.

As for Greek gods, I want to say Poseidon. But no, not really. I don’t think I have a favorite? Athena maybe comes close, but she’s still not cool for a lot of things she did, in my book.

Fulminata likes this.
  10. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Which isn't exactly Greek myth. It's more like God of War lore inspired by Greek Myth. Unless you're like talking about Kratos, Nike, Bia, and Zelos who serve Zeus and in some myth interpretations are housed within Zeus lol

11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Persephone, because of how cool she was. The dread Persephone, if only I had a moniker as cool as that in my lifetime

Dionysius, because the god of madness, creativity and intoxication is very much impressive

opath422 likes this.
  12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    No one has better sex with animals than Loki. True story.
    (just noticed the -greek- part, well, Loki works in mysterious ways so he showed up to the party!)

Anyway, i prefer the Titans over the Olympians. Prometheus that gave humanity fire is very symbolic to human progression and the start of using tools and controlling nature.
    He also got punished for it, which shares similarities with other mythological stories like 'let there be light' and exile from the garden of eve for eating the forbidden fruit of knowledge.

opath422 and anon like this.
  13. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah no, the only time Loki was having sex with animals was only when he shaped shifted into a mare and Svadilfari chased after that. How else do you think Sleipnir came to be. Loki's three other children were with Angrboða. And then there's his sons Narfi and Vali (Wow, didn't realize that the other god of vengeance was Loki's kid)...

14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality , not quantity!~ anyway, i just assumed since Fenrir was his offspring that he banged a wolf too. Still funny how Odin rides his grandchild.

(P.S. and yeah, any offspring of his is very directly tied to ragnarok or something similar.)

(p.p.s. also daughter Hel. Which is actually also the exact dutch spelling for Hell)

15. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite greek deity remains Hestia the only of them without chronic power sickness IMHO

opath422 likes this.
  16. Arbelbyss

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean considering that Vidarr is one of Odin's kids. Just imagining the blood brother's (Blood oath, Loki and Odin are sworn blood brothers they're not really related, it was just Odin doing that one thing) kids doing the God of Vengeance duties. Now that's what I would call business.

17. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Horsebreaking Hector was the man. While Sulky Achilles & the Cucked King Agamemnon wrangled over human and metal booty, Hector was defending him home from gods and men. Other than him, as a kid I thought that Ajax the Greater was cool, because of his name and that he hit an enemy with an anchor.

A free version of Bulfinch's Mythology:
    https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/thomas-bulfinch/bulfinchs-mythology

18. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting how the realm where Hel has her underworld is Niflheim, a realm of ice. In the Persona series Niflheim is often the ultimate tier ice spell that only Loki can learn, lol.

The other ultimate tier ones are generally thunder reign for zeus (or odin for older games), Surtr the flame giant for a ragnarok fire spell.
    I like it when they weave myths into their game system.

19. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Out of the 13 main gods (since it's conflicted over whether the last one is Dionysus or Hestia) plus Hades, I suppose I would like Hestia the most? She was the most low-key of them and also had no scandals, I think she would probably be the nicest, too.
    Other than that, I suppose I like Hades the most. He gets too much bad rep but honestly the only thing he ever did wrong was kidnap his wife, and it's not like that's too serious compared to the other gods (*cough* *cough* Zeus and Apollo *cough* *cough*). Plus, they got along afterwards and made up.
    As for heroes in the battles of Troy, I guess...Odysseus? He just went through way too much trying to get back home. And Helen just straight up being kidnapped by Aphrodite was pretty sad too.

Still, it's kind of hard to do favorites when the gods have inconsistent characters, because that's how mythology works.

opath422 likes this.
  20. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    phase is the word you were looking for I think.
    I personally really like the adaptation of the greek gods to represent the planets in the solar system. Of which Neptun would probably be my favourite because of the colour.